thanks yall for the help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted1130038

thanks everyone :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
so I figure admissions committees are humans right? basically, I had an interview for a school I absolutely love, but on the first question (medical behavioral question) I basically answered it completely incorrectly and I let it throw off the rest of my interview. I could tell it went horribly (and most of my interviews have gone really well!! I feel like I'm a people person). I am writing a letter, but I will never get off the waiting list because of my interview. I was just wondering if it's completely unacceptable to have solely 1 line in there saying something along the lines of, I do not feel that my interview performance is indicative of who I am as a person or the traits that I would bring to your school, or something. I figure I have other acceptances so if they really hate this they can just reject me, but I wanted to make sure this isn't a fashion faux paux before laying my cards on the table..

Thank you so much!
I don’t think writing this will help you at all.
Wait to see what happens, as people are often not the best judges of their own interview performance.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
so I figure admissions committees are humans right? basically, I had an interview for a school I absolutely love, but on the first question (medical behavioral question) I basically answered it completely incorrectly and I let it throw off the rest of my interview. I could tell it went horribly (and most of my interviews have gone really well!! I feel like I'm a people person). I am writing a letter, but I will never get off the waiting list because of my interview. I was just wondering if it's completely unacceptable to have solely 1 line in there saying something along the lines of, I do not feel that my interview performance is indicative of who I am as a person or the traits that I would bring to your school, or something. I figure I have other acceptances so if they really hate this they can just reject me, but I wanted to make sure this isn't a fashion faux paux before laying my cards on the table..

Thank you so much!
Yeah, they are human. As a human yourself, put yourself in their shoes and imagine how you would feel receiving this email 400 times per interview season due to pre-med students being neurotic. At best, this won't hurt you (but isn't helping, either). At worst, this will actively hurt you.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Yeah, they are human. As a human yourself, put yourself in their shoes and imagine how you would feel receiving this email 400 times per interview season due to pre-med students being neurotic. At best, this won't hurt you (but isn't helping, either). At worst, this will actively hurt you.
oooooh that is a really fantastic point, i didnt think about that!

You should be nervous. Everyone who interviews is nervous to a degree. The problem is that your performance anxiety got the best of you. Just like every figure skater who falls during their Olympic moment, you don't need to confirm to the judges that you have performance anxiety. Move forward and let the process run. You have other acceptances...

• Love
oooooh that is a really fantastic point, i didnt think about that!
Interviews are a chance not only to meet someone, but to see how they think on their feet. Some interviewers may challenge you a little to see how you react to an unexpected comment, or whether you can support your point if challenged, without falling apart.
So, this interview didn't go how you pictured it? Go to one of the schools that has accepted you.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Depends on the school ranking / your application strength honestly. E.g. if it’s a T5 and you were borderline, just cut your losses and focus on your other schools. If your pre-interview score was extremely high, you could still get in despite the poor interview

Depends on the school ranking / your application strength honestly. E.g. if it’s a T5 and you were borderline, just cut your losses and focus on your other schools. If your pre-interview score was extremely high, you could still get in despite the poor interview

What is “pre-interview score”?

And how do you determine it

What is “pre-interview score”?

And how do you determine it
"You" don't determine it, the schools's admission system and committee determines it.
Each school has some "way" of deciding whom to interview. There is not a universal secret pre-interview score.

Last edited:

Thank you so much!
You might be judging yourself more harshly than them, but if you say you did poorly, you might make them rethink your performance in a negative way. Just wait

Agree with everyone else, you may not have done as poorly as you think you did so there is no point in suggesting that you did bad. If you truly did bad, well a letter trying to explain yourself isn't going to help.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Interviews are a chance not only to meet someone, but to see how they think on their feet. Some interviewers may challenge you a little to see how you react to an unexpected comment, or whether you can support your point if challenged, without falling apart.
So, this interview didn't go how you pictured it? Go to one of the schools that has accepted you.
^^^^^^This!^^^^^^ I would do the same. I want the applicant to connect with me, project warmth, and give authentic responses. I will ask open ended questions with no right or wrong answer. Then I will argue the opposite point the student provides and see how far I can take them out their decision making tree. I wouldn't focus too much on the right or wrong answer in your case, as that is not the important part. Can you think on your feet and provide reasoned responses. Good luck and best wishes.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
What do you plan to do if you get nervous during a code one day and get the jitters? Are you gonna explain to a family that it’s okay because you’re nervous?

At best, this does you no harm. At worst, it shows poor judgment and not wanting to take accountability for your own performance. Also, some people think they flop on an interview, but the interviewer gives them a glowing review.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.