Should I Withdraw From a Course?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hello all. I need to decide if I should withdraw from a course before the deadline and was curious as to what people on here have to say. Here's some context:

- I'm currently enrolled in 16 credit hours (includes Organic Chem+lab, a mechanical engineering course, and a biomedical engineering course). This is the hardest my schedule has been and will ever need to be.
- I've started working in a lab this semester.
- So far, I've been a 4.0 student. The course I'm having issues with is an advanced engineering math course unrelated to medical school. It is not extremely challenging, it's just a case of a professor with a really unforgiving grading system and me not having the hours in the day to devote time to the last math class I'm ever going to need to take. I'm quite confident if I retake next semester I'll be able to get an A.
- I totally screwed up my first midterm in the course in question. Just off that score, I'm guessing an A is gonna be off the table, I might be able to pull a low B out of this but I'll probably end up in the C range.
- If I do not withdraw this course, I'm could easily end up dropping the ball somewhere else to try and pull it back. Most likely candidates being the other two engineering courses I'm in.
- I have wiggle room in my schedule. I entered college with a lot of credit and front-loaded my schedule so my final 2 years are comparatively an easy courseload so I can focus more on research, clinical experiences, MCAT, and the other parts of my application.
- If I withdraw, it will simply show up as a W on my transcript.

In making my decision, there's a few key things I'm concerned about:

1. How will a medical school admissions committee perceive a single W on a transcript such as this?
2. Could/will having a high GPA/stats otherwise and a W be perceived negatively (I've seen other threads in which people have made similar points about managing medical school workload)?
3. How much explaining am I going to need to do once I get to the actual application process down the line?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all. I need to decide if I should withdraw from a course before the deadline and was curious as to what people on here have to say. Here's some context:

- I'm currently enrolled in 16 credit hours (includes Organic Chem+lab, a mechanical engineering course, and a biomedical engineering course). This is the hardest my schedule has been and will ever need to be.
- I've started working in a lab this semester.
- So far, I've been a 4.0 student. The course I'm having issues with is an advanced engineering math course unrelated to medical school. It is not extremely challenging, it's just a case of a professor with a really unforgiving grading system and me not having the hours in the day to devote time to the last math class I'm ever going to need to take. I'm quite confident if I retake next semester I'll be able to get an A.
- I totally screwed up my first midterm in the course in question. Just off that score, I'm guessing an A is gonna be off the table, I might be able to pull a low B out of this but I'll probably end up in the C range.
- If I do not withdraw this course, I'm could easily end up dropping the ball somewhere else to try and pull it back. Most likely candidates being the other two engineering courses I'm in.
- I have wiggle room in my schedule. I entered college with a lot of credit and front-loaded my schedule so my final 2 years are comparatively an easy courseload so I can focus more on research, clinical experiences, MCAT, and the other parts of my application.
- If I withdraw, it will simply show up as a W on my transcript.

In making my decision, there's a few key things I'm concerned about:

1. How will a medical school admissions committee perceive a single W on a transcript such as this?
No one will care. A W is not an F. Multiple scattered Ws look like GPA protection.
2. Could/will having a high GPA/stats otherwise and a W be perceived negatively (I've seen other threads in which people have made similar points about managing medical school workload)?
See above
3. How much explaining am I going to need to do once I get to the actual application process down the line?
Zero. Now chill.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users