Should I withdraw my application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psyflgirl

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I submitted my application mid June so it should be about to get verified. I took the MCAT June 29 but I didn't feel like I did good so I voided the exam and I plan to take it again late August or early September. I wouldn't like to take another year but I am wondering if I should just withdraw my application and take more time to study/take the MCAT and apply next year. I am not sure about what being a re-applicant means in terms of chances to get in but I am guessing it will make it even harder. I feel stuck, I studied for 6 months for the MCAT but I don't feel like I am ready (I have heard you never feel ready). Even if I withdraw I am probably going to take the MCAT so I can apply for DO schools. What do you advice? Thanks in advance.

Some extra info
cgpa 3.7, sgpa 3.2, 2 yrs paid clinical experience, 360+ volunteering hrs, some shadowing, hispanic, FL resident

Members don't see this ad.

How had you been scoring on FLs?
I took one from NS like a month before my exam and got 499 124/124/123/128 it is bad but I had hopes to improve and it was 10+ point more than my diagnosis, I took anotherone from Kaplan that destroyed my cofidence, and the aamc fl #3 which I started and stopped so I ended up not doing the CP section and got 123/125/126. I was definitely not ready for the exam but since I couldn't cancel at that point I just took it and voided.

Members don't see this ad :)
AAMC ones are the only ones representative of the exam. I would go so far as to say that do not use the scores from the other companies (unless you're consistently getting 520+ on them... then I guess you can be confident in the scores). Do you have review books? I would just read those, don't even have to take notes, and let your consistent sleep schedule consolidate the memories from doing that, then do a LOT of practice questions the next day, via google or whatever. I liked Khan academy.

AAMC ones are the only ones representative of the exam. I would go so far as to say that do not use the scores from the other companies (unless you're consistently getting 520+ on them... then I guess you can be confident in the scores). Do you have review books? I would just read those, don't even have to take notes, and let your consistent sleep schedule consolidate the memories from doing that, then do a LOT of practice questions the next day, via google or whatever. I liked Khan academy.
Yes, I have review books. I have bought every possible resource to the point that I would get overwhelmed because I didn't know which one to use. Right now i am just practicing with Uworld and trying to go over my weaknesses. I did waste a lot of time taking notes, and i realized way too late that it was a waste of time. Practice does give the highest yield. Thanks for the advice I wish I had actually taken care of myself those moths I was studying before I actually attempted to take the exam. I work full time so I complete stopped doing anything that wasn't work or MCAT related. I stopped working out, I was eating w.e was quick and I was sleeping 4-5 hrs a night HUGE MISTAKE. I am trying to have a normal life now working out and sleeping are priority. I guess I'll take the mcat whenever I am ready.

Hello,

I submitted my application mid June so it should be about to get verified. I took the MCAT June 29 but I didn't feel like I did good so I voided the exam and I plan to take it again late August or early September. I wouldn't like to take another year but I am wondering if I should just withdraw my application and take more time to study/take the MCAT and apply next year. I am not sure about what being a re-applicant means in terms of chances to get in but I am guessing it will make it even harder. I feel stuck, I studied for 6 months for the MCAT but I don't feel like I am ready (I have heard you never feel ready). Even if I withdraw I am probably going to take the MCAT so I can apply for DO schools. What do you advice? Thanks in advance.

Some extra info
cgpa 3.7, sgpa 3.2, 2 yrs paid clinical experience, 360+ volunteering hrs, some shadowing, hispanic, FL resident
I advise using Khan Academy as test prep material, your favorite books, and the AAMC material. That is all you need. I took the MCAT 3 times (rushed the first 2 and paid a company to teach me the material---did NOT work). Just keep a CONSISTENT schedule, practice something everyday (even if it's your "rest day", 30 min of studying never hurts). I got a 501 and 504 on my first 2 attempts. I put studying into overdrive and did well on my last attempt. You can do it, I felt defeated after my first 2 attempts, but learn from your mistakes and do better the next time! I would not take the exam until you're consistently scoring near where you want to be because you do not want to take it 3 times like i did lol

Reactions: 1 user
I advise using Khan Academy as test prep material, your favorite books, and the AAMC material. That is all you need. I took the MCAT 3 times (rushed the first 2 and paid a company to teach me the material---did NOT work). Just keep a CONSISTENT schedule, practice something everyday (even if it's your "rest day", 30 min of studying never hurts). I got a 501 and 504 on my first 2 attempts. I put studying into overdrive and did well on my last attempt. You can do it, I felt defeated after my first 2 attempts, but learn from your mistakes and do better the next time! I would not take the exam until you're consistently scoring near where you want to be because you do not want to take it 3 times like i did lol
Thank you. The advice is greatly appreciated.