Should I withdraw my TMDSAS application before it is transmitted?

Orville

2+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2015
28
27
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm hoping y'all can give me some advice. I submitted my application to TMDSAS with all supporting documents on 8/24, which I know is super late. I was under the impression that I would only be at a mild disadvantage, but after talking with a friend in med school he told me I'd be better off waiting until next year and submitting day 1. Should I withdraw my app before it is transmitted to schools? This would prevent me from being a re-applicant next year. Or should I leave it alone and hope for the best?

My stats: sGPA 3.70, cGPA 3.76, MCAT 504 (125, 128, 125, 126).
150 hours hospice volunteering, 50ish hrs shadowing, 1500 hrs volunteering through church, currently working in biomedical research, I tutor disadvantaged kids but only 30 hrs so far, have a unique sports EC, think iron man type event. TX resident.

I was planning to retake the MCAT early next year if I didn't get any interviews but now I'm thinking maybe I should just withdraw and really focus on a retake. I felt like I under performed since I scored a 508 and a 510 on AAMC practice tests 1 and 2 respectively. The real thing was much harder in my opinion.

I appreciate any input.
 

gonnif

Only 342 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
20,779
32,154
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
You are late
You have low MCAT
You have low volunteering

3 strikes: Withdraw
 
  • Like
Reactions: Goro
About the Ads
OP
Orville

Orville

2+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2015
28
27
Status
Pre-Medical
You are late
You have low MCAT
You have low volunteering

3 strikes: Withdraw
Ok, thanks. I'm withdrawing. One more thing, do you think DO schools are out of the question this late?
 

gonnif

Only 342 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
20,779
32,154
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Ok, thanks. I'm withdrawing. One more thing, do you think DO schools are out of the question this late?
Probably not ut @Goro opinion would be more current
 

gonnif

Only 342 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
20,779
32,154
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
54,314
80,602
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Ok, thanks. I'm withdrawing. One more thing, do you think DO schools are out of the question this late?
The DO cycle is longer than MD. So you're fine for DO until late Nov.
 
OP
Orville

Orville

2+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2015
28
27
Status
Pre-Medical
Thank you all for your advice! I really want to go to a Texas school because of the lower cost but I like many things about the DO philosophy. I'm just not sure it's worth more than double the price. I have some thinking to do.
 

biochemgirl22

2+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2016
514
509
Status
Pre-Medical
Thank you all for your advice! I really want to go to a Texas school because of the lower cost but I like many things about the DO philosophy. I'm just not sure it's worth more than double the price. I have some thinking to do.
I think you have decent chances at TCOM and maybe even a few others. You hit all the numbers for them.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Orville
About the Ads