Should I Withdraw?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jdao08

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm currently a sophomore and in the 7th week of winter quarter. I would appreciate some feedback on whether or not I should withdraw from my 2nd quarter of my general biology class which is a 3-quarter part series. I believe I'm currently on pace for a C/C-. The issue is that I already have a withdrawal from the 1st quarter of the general biology series during summer quarter (I retook it during the fall and got a B+) due to some family issues that prevented me from doing well. I'm also currently retaking my 1st quarter o-chem, which is also a 3 part series, after only receiving a 2.2 the first time. As of now I should be getting at least a A-/A in o-chem and a 4.0 in my other class. I guess my main question is just wondering if this is too many withdrawals? I know this is somewhat of a downward trend from my freshman year when I averaged a B+/A- but that was mainly because I was only taking one science class. I've struggled a bit these last two quarters trying to balance two heavy science courses and I think I might have finally found the right study habits too late into this quarter. Would med schools be forgiving if I could start averaging A-/A grades again starting in the spring? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

It's early enough that you still have time to demonstrate that you can handle a tough courseload. Withdraw.

However, if you start asking this question again next year...

I concur, withdraw.

As mentioned, a trend is starting to appear where you are withdrawing from intro science classes....have a think about this

Members don't see this ad :)
Keep in mind that the first two years of med school is the equivalent of taking 21 semester hours each term (at least, at my school). If you continue to have trouble excelling in two science classes, taking 7 of them together wouldn't bode well for you. If you really think this is the last time you'll need to withdraw to save your GPA, then fine: do it.

Med schools forgive, but that doesn't mean you will be excused from proving yourself. It isn't that long before you'd be applying and your most recent academic record must leave no doubt that you can survive a med school curriculum.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm pretty optimistic about being able to manage the science course load for the next quarters. My counselor referred me to a great tutoring program for low-income, first generation students that has really helped me in o-chem and they also have a biology department as well.

I wish I took my own advice. I wouldn't have gotten my only C in college :D