Should I work for my parents?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

college123please

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I always planned on working for my parents after dental school (they each own their own practice) but now I’m wondering if I should look for an associate job to see how other people do things and run their office? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I always planned on working for my parents after dental school (they each own their own practice) but now I’m wondering if I should look for an associate job to see how other people do things and run their office? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

It depends on what the working terms would be at your parent(s) office, if they are slow or efficient, and if they have enough patients. Sure, it would be nice if you could have their office someday, but if it's a slow 2 op clunker that makes almost no money, you might as well work for someone who can give you as many patients as possible. The exception to that would be if it's a fixer-upper and they let you fix it up and reap the rewards. I learned not to rely on parents - in most instances, it's not worth it.