Should I worry about bad (college) grades earned during high school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dsh

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My senior year in high school, we were offered the chance to get college credit for our calculus class. I took another class in discrete mathematics as well since I wanted to be a computer scientist at the time. I got pretty lazy and got Cs in both semesters of calculus. I got a B- in my discrete math class. I didn't realize that this might come back later and bite me in the ass.

I (stupidly) transferred the credits over to my uni and I'm not sure if this will significantly impact my med school application. I got straight As in calc-based engineering physics, which I took on purpose to demonstrate my competence with math to whoever was looking at my transcripts later. Still this will bring down my gpa by at least .1 or so by the time I apply. Should I worry about it and take some more math or stats or somethign to compensate? I have a 3.85 cum right now. I would really like to go to a UC, Ivy, or other California school in the future.

To get an idea of where I'm at, I'm going to be going into my 3rd year and might graduate this year, but I think I'll probably stick it out for 4 since college is kinda fun. I'll be taking my mcat this summer and will probably score 32 or above.

Members don't see this ad.

you're pretty confident for someone who got a c in calculus, what makesy ou think you'll get a 32 probably?

I got the Cs because I didn't go to class or do my homework, I sort of slacked off my senior year. I've been studying for the MCAT since June--I took 5R before I studied and scored 32 on it. I've taken four more since then (non-AAMC though) and not scored below 32 on any of those. Assuming that I'll probably improve from where I started given that I'm studying quite a bit, I think it's fair for me to say I'll probably score 32 or above.

edit: Also, I don't think calculus is tested for at all on the mcat really. You just need to know basic relationships and apply them to awkward situations most of the time, there's little integration or differentiation to be found anywhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
dsh said:
My senior year in high school, we were offered the chance to get college credit for our calculus class. I took another class in discrete mathematics as well since I wanted to be a computer scientist at the time. I got pretty lazy and got Cs in both semesters of calculus. I got a B- in my discrete math class. I didn't realize that this might come back later and bite me in the ass.

I (stupidly) transferred the credits over to my uni and I'm not sure if this will significantly impact my med school application. I got straight As in calc-based engineering physics, which I took on purpose to demonstrate my competence with math to whoever was looking at my transcripts later. Still this will bring down my gpa by at least .1 or so by the time I apply. Should I worry about it and take some more math or stats or somethign to compensate? I have a 3.85 cum right now. I would really like to go to a UC, Ivy, or other California school in the future.

To get an idea of where I'm at, I'm going to be going into my 3rd year and might graduate this year, but I think I'll probably stick it out for 4 since college is kinda fun. I'll be taking my mcat this summer and will probably score 32 or above.

Yes. Unfortunately those grades will come back to bite you in the ass. Like it or not, they will be included in your overall GPA *AND* in your BPCM GPA.

They however shouldn't bring your GPA down too much. Maybe to a 3.8 at the lowest, which isn't much different from a 3.85

It seems like this application process will bring out every little mistake from our past whether we like it or not.

Will schools see it? Yes Will it impact anything much? Doubtful. Schools weigh recent years more heavily and a 3.7+ g.p.a and 30+ MCAT will keep you in fine shape. :thumbup:

Texas Pre-Med is right. Listen to him/her. It's better to be positive. High school is high school. You obviously prived in college that you were capable and focused.

If you are still not convinced... you could say a little bit about it in your secondaries... OR just say it during interviews. To maximize chance for interview, just write an extremeley interesting essay. (easier said than done of course)

dsh said:

I would do the whole 4 years of college and take additional things that interest you and you can puff up the GPA a bit more. You only get to do college once, and since med schools are big on demonstrated maturity, graduating earlier (& younger) can sometimes be seen as a detriment, not a benefit. A 3.8 and 32+ ought to get you looked at by most of the big name places, but you are really going to need to make sure you have equally strong ECs, LORs, PS and interview to close the deal.

Stay in college and enjoy a fourth year. Spend a semester at sea or studying in Europe. When your a third year resident you'll be so glad you did.

Don't worry about those college classes you took in high school. You've obviously matured since then and ad coms will see that.

:luck:

All grades on college transcript matters! However, med schools do not scrutinize over every "Cs" and every "Bs" that you may have gotten. I also took some calc and physics courses in college while I was a junior/senior in high school. Remember, it's your overall GPA that matters. Plus, if you rock the MCAT then a few not so perfect grades shouldn't matter much.

Hey, I'm also in a very similar situation. I took calc and analyt geo I and II in high school before i even knew i wanted to be a doctor ( or how competitive it was!) Consequently I ended up with a 3.34 between C and AG I and II. My first semester at college I obtained a 3.74 and the second semester a 4.0 ( at a different school). The only Pre med prereq i have taken thus far is General Physics I which I receieved an A in. How badly will the calc grades hurt me? (3.67 and 3.0) I am hoping to apply to upper tier schools when times comes. Will I even be able to get into med school at all with a 3.0 Calc and analyt geomII grade?

I'm really disappointed in myself, i didn't realize my laziness in high school would screw me over like this. Thanks for the advice guys!