Should IMG personal statement include reason for going abroad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

travelbug5341

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm in a bit of a unique situation and looking for a little advice on my personal statement....

I'm an American who went to Hungary to study medicine, after roughly 2 years of undergraduate study. I did not get my undergrad degree, did not take MCAT or apply to US med schools...Basically when I decided medicine was right for me my grades were not good due to lack of goals/motivation, so I figured a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush and went ahead and went abroad without finishing my undergrad.

I've recently graduated and I'm finishing up my personal statement to submit to ERAS.

My personal statement as it is now doesn't address why I went abroad without attempting to get into med school in the US, but I'm not sure if I shouldn't add a short paragraph about it, as I feel it's a bit of a unique situation. Is this something PDs will want explained? Or should I leave it as is and focus on what's happened since I began medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

No, I wouldn't explain it.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all,

I'm in a bit of a unique situation and looking for a little advice on my personal statement....

I'm an American who went to Hungary to study medicine, after roughly 2 years of undergraduate study. I did not get my undergrad degree, did not take MCAT or apply to US med schools...Basically when I decided medicine was right for me my grades were not good due to lack of goals/motivation, so I figured a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush and went ahead and went abroad without finishing my undergrad.

I've recently graduated and I'm finishing up my personal statement to submit to ERAS.

My personal statement as it is now doesn't address why I went abroad without attempting to get into med school in the US, but I'm not sure if I shouldn't add a short paragraph about it, as I feel it's a bit of a unique situation. Is this something PDs will want explained? Or should I leave it as is and focus on what's happened since I began medical school?

It's not. Lots of people mess around in undergrad and then make a bad decision worse by skipping the hard work of getting into a American medical school and go abroad. I don't see much of the point of talking about it. I doubt your decision to not even attempt to finish an undergrad degree can be painted in any light but bad. Focus on what you did in medical school and not your decision to go abroad as it doesn't seem like it was your finest hour.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's not. Lots of people mess around in undergrad and then make a bad decision worse by skipping the hard work of getting into a American medical school and go abroad. I don't see much of the point of talking about it. I doubt your decision to not even attempt to finish an undergrad degree can be painted in any light but bad. Focus on what you did in medical school and not your decision to go abroad as it doesn't seem like it was your finest hour.
I agree with this. OP, a lot of people have poor performance their first few years, even their entire 4 years of undergrad, and then decide to go into medicine. Many of them buckle down and do the hard work required to repair their GPA, or at least demonstrate their true potential is much greater than that demonstrated by they early work. They are then, many times, successful in gaining admission to US MD and/or DO schools. I don't see how any residency would view you not even attempting this before going overseas as a positive thing.....

Reactions: 1 user
Did you do any cores or selectives in US?

Thanks everyone. I understand it's going to be viewed negatively, which is why I was wondering if it would be best to mention it (as one might with other red flags)....but I guess there's little chance of being able to portray it in any kind of positive light.

Robotman - I did 2 months of electives in the US.

"I went abroad because I couldn't get into medical school in America"

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks everyone. I understand it's going to be viewed negatively, which is why I was wondering if it would be best to mention it (as one might with other red flags)....but I guess there's little chance of being able to portray it in any kind of positive light.

No need to mention it. They'll already see you went to a foreign school.

Don't sell yourself short. Over the past 2 years, while travelling and living in the Eu, I have had the opportunity for experiences (educational and otherwise) that I wouldn't have had Stateside. The one thing you can do is highlight them in such a way that the adcom is left wanting to hear more. My Facebook is full of tasteful pictures hinting at many of these experiences (in case they choose to do a little research).