Mentioning Conditional Pass in Personal Statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bcl2000

Reaction score
Long story short, during my first clerkship of third year (pediatrics) I had to remediate just the standardized patient portion of the course and subsequently received a conditional pass. Other than this, I received a mix of High Pass and Honors in the remaining clerkships.

My question is whether or not this should be addressed in my personal statement on ERAS. I plan on applying IM with preference to an academic program around NYC. My home program director thinks I should briefly mention it, but all of my other advisors don’t think I should as it’s “just a conditional.”

Obviously I’m gonna go with the advice of my PD when push comes to shove, but I was looking for any other perspective here. Also to note, I’m not trying to get out of explaining it (current draft includes it), I just don’t want to mention it when I shouldn’t or not mention it when I should and create a bigger red flag. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

My main question is whether this would already be explained in your MSPE. If so, then I don’t see much point to wasting space in your PS.

Beyond that, I can see both sides and would generally also defer to your PD

Reactions: 1 user
My main question is whether this would already be explained in your MSPE. If so, then I don’t see much point to wasting space in your PS.

Beyond that, I can see both sides and would generally also defer to your PD
While the original and remediated grades will be in the MSPE packet if you will, I don’t think there would be a written explanation for it. Of note, my MSPE writer was one of the advisors that said I shouldn’t mention it.

Nonetheless thanks for the reply!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're not applying Peds, then I would not mention it as it's waste of space that could be used for more important stuff that can make you look better. The PS is supposed to be only 1 page max, so it is your time to shine and show your strengths. Not the time for you to linger on your failures. If it is brought up during an interview, then you should have a good explanation ready, if not then let the conditional pass be a pass and forget about it.

Reactions: 1 user
If you're not applying Peds, then I would not mention it as it's waste of space that could be used for more important stuff that can make you look better. The PS is supposed to be only 1 page max, so it is your time to shine and show your strengths. Not the time for you to linger on your failures. If it is brought up during an interview, then you should have a good explanation ready, if not then let the conditional pass be a pass and forget about it.
Thanks for the reply, yeah I’m ready to move passed it and would love to not bring it up if I don’t have to, I just want to do whatever standard protocol is for these situations.