Should my brother quit? Fall Semester GPA=0.0!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xanthines

decaying organic matter
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My brother (yes it's really for him and not me! :p ) isn't doing so well at school right now. In fact, I didn't know how horrifically terrible he was doing until today. My mom showed me his grades and this past semester he got a ZERO-POINT-ZERO. (Just like in Animal House.) He's got a 1.6 or something like that.

He's on academic suspension for 2 semesters now. He was put on suspension for a semester before. This is his 3rd year, but at this rate he's going to be at college for well past 4 years.

Should he drop the pre-pharm route and major in something easy (he goes to a really big state school that is better known for its football team, so I'm sure he can find an easy major somewhere)? Or should he keep at it? Is there some kind of holding pattern he can put himself in until he gets his act together? What should he do on his year off?

Any advice would be appreciated!

-X

Members don't see this ad.

Um, WTF is he doing all day? Is he just partying all day and not caring about his studies or is actually trying and just getting his teeth knocked in.

You have to put your time into Chem and Bio. There's no way around it. If he is guilty of the former, than I'd get on his case to get his **** together.

In the end, he has to make the decision for himself and evaluate his priorities.

if you are the bigger brother, then do what you got to do. :D but I'm sure if he got a 0.00 or whatever 1.6 cum. he probably failed a LOT of those courses so he can retake them. I firmly believe anythings possible as long as you work hard. but then again, my other thread might say different. =) but good luck to u and your bro. +pissed+ <---- wow, thats a cool one.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there,
Only he is the one that in charge of his life. So pretty much you can't do much since people have different personalities...To be honest, that is surely a very poor result. However, it's never too late...Better re-start now than never.

Anyway, sure he can pursue pharmacy career. But he needs to expose himself, not from u or your parents... I have a friend, he did really poorly in some junior college, and he quit school to work for a while. Then when he is back to college, he changed school and started all over the GPA again and did quite well. I am not quite sure if he had to explain or even declare the past record when he appied for pharmacy school, but he surely got accepted last year.

Good luck to you and your brother...Work harder ! That might help.

Put on your finest supportive sibling hat and tell him it's okay, SOMEONE has to flip those burgers, and you will send him postcards from the right side of the railroad track. Then walk away.

With that burr under his saddle he will know what to do.

That is what brothers are for :D

I'm pretty d@mn positive when it comes to peeps chances at either getting in/getting thru pharm school, but i would have to say: he's not gonna make it.

If he's having that much trouble, there's something dramatically askew. You almost have to try to get all Fs. I'm sorry to say that pharm school would absolutely slaughter him.

If your brother really wants to go to Pharmacy school, on his year off, I think he should try to find a job as a pharmacy technician. I even have a better idea!!!!!!!!!!!! He can even study for pharmacy technician board exam!!! By having this certification despise is poor grades, ADCOMS will see that he serious about attending pharmacy school.

One more thing, nothing is easy if one doesn?t work for it, so don't go thinking that by doing something easier your brother will excel.

Good luck.

Tri do you even know what you're talking about ?

Maybe that guy never applied himself, maybe he was never serious about school. I am sure that he will make it if he study hard from now forward. EVERYTHING IS POSSIBLE.

Well let's see......I've been through undergrad at u-dub.......worked in a pharmacy.....volunteered in hospital pharmacy......researched my career.....applied to schools.....was accepted.....now in my 2nd semester of pharmacy school.....

hmmm...

yes, i'd have to say i do know what i'm talkin about when it comes to the process and how much effort it takes (and I'm not even to the trickiest part yet.)

You can always call me and yell at me TCB. I'm outta school till 1/12. That's less effort than being flamed.;)

Originally posted by Triangulation
he's not gonna make it.

I'm sorry to say that pharm school would absolutely slaughter him.

Who's to say. Pharmacy school might slaughter him and he could still come out on top. A buddy of mine owned a home in a desireable neighborhood of Arlington Texas. At a pharmacists salary both he and his wife had to work with him putting in overtime to pay for the lifestyle that came with the home. They were never there to enjoy what they were paying for.

The largest house on the block was owned by a guy that drove one of those beautiful diesel pickup trucks. You know, the one that has double wheels in the back. He bought a new one each year. 9-5 Mon-fri No weekends holidays or overtime

The guy built brick mailbox enclosures for a living. grrr... :(

For starters, I'd say he should figure out why he did so poorly. Was it that the material was difficult, or did he just not put in any effort? If the material was too difficult for him, then he should give serious consideration to changing majors. It might also help him to get tested for a learning disability.

If it was that he just didn't care, then somebody ought to thwack him upside the head with a clue-by-four and point out that partying 24/7 in an attempt to be cool is something he should have stopped doing in high school (or 1st semester of freshman year at the latest). I'm not saying that one should never go crazy in college, but he needs to get it through his head that he (or your folks or whoever) is spending the big bucks so that he can learn a skill. Beer is cheap and you can catch up with it after you finish studying. An O-chem class is expensive, and it's far more difficult to catch up on your reading than it is to catch up on your drinking.

It would also be good for him to consider why he wants to go to pharmacy school in the first place. If he truly dislikes pre-pharm classes, why is he taking them? Is there another major that would suit him better?

Good luck to your brother, xanthines. He needs it.

Originally posted by Neon Black
You have to put your time into Chem and Bio. There's no way around it. If he is guilty of the former, than I'd get on his case to get his **** together.

In the end, he has to make the decision for himself and evaluate his priorities.

I agree with Neon Black. Studying the biological sciences require a great deal of concentration, time, and effort. It's definately not everyone's 'cup 'o tea' and it's not something you can bs your way through and still come out ok. (I know that for a fact..)

Getting that low of a gpa means that your brother is probably not motivated or interested in what he's studying.. Anyways, as much as you get on his case about it, it's also something he needs to figure out for himself. GL.

~Cyclopropane

Holy S!!!!

Give up pharmacy and apply to medical school as a back up!! :)

Originally posted by Dr_Rx2003
Holy S!!!!

Give up pharmacy and apply to medical school as a back up!! :)

LOL!!!!

Originally posted by baggywrinkle
Put on your finest supportive sibling hat and tell him it's okay, SOMEONE has to flip those burgers, and you will send him postcards from the right side of the railroad track. Then walk away.

With that burr under his saddle he will know what to do.

That is what brothers are for :D

LOL...this might actually work.

With a 0.0 GPA , I don't think that the level of difficulty of the course material is an issue. It looks like this guy is not struggling at all. It is so OBVIOUS that he isn't applying himself; I don't think that it will matter which route he should go. Until he takes his studies seriously, I would recommend that he take a break from school to save himself the money, time, and unneccessary F grades that he will accumulate on his university transcript (Which are, btw, permanent). Should he decide that he wants to pursue pharmacy in the future, he'll have to prove himself big time.
Until he realizes WHY he is going to university and what he wants out of it, there is no point into pushing him into another direction. I'm sure that he'll come around in a few years, but he has to figure this on his own.