Should my father sue the VA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrVader

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to get your opinion on a situation that is happening with my father. My father is a Vet and has been using the VA for the past 40 years. He had severe DM2, severe HTN, high cholesterol and a single kidney. Recently he had a pacemaker put in for Afib. Before the pacemaker, he had a HR of 38 bpm. The pacemaker was installed incorrectly but was fixed within a week. About 4 weeks after he had the pacemaker put in, he had a stroke. He had a TIA two years ago as well. According to my understanding, he had a CHADS2 score of at least 2 before the TIA and a total of 4 after the TIA. He should have been placed on a anticoagulant. His GP told him to take a full strength aspirin as his stroke but he then saw a another doctor who immediately recognized he should be on an anticoagulant. My question to you guys is this medical malpractice? My father should have been place on an anticoagulant before the TIA and most definitely after it. Should he sue the VA?

Members don't see this ad.

Consult an attorney.

Reactions: 1 users
The VA has its own law department and receives lawsuits daily. When I was at the VA these situations happened, Stent came loose in patient and he sued. Patient was injecting himself in his leg with enoxaparin instead of belly and got edema in his leg and he sued, patient had surgery and the doctor left something inside while sewing him up and he sued.

Basically, go ahead and sue because if the law department feels you have a case they will reach a settlement with you. They are bombarded with lawsuits and are quick to have a settlement if you have a legit case.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You wanna sue the VA? Get in line and take a number.

Reactions: 3 users
I'd consult an attorney and possibly ask for his medical records regarding the documentation on why he didn't put him on proper therapy.