Should secondaries be typed or handwritten?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hypothalamus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you manage to type your responses?

Members don't see this ad.

Go oldschool with a typewritter.

Members don't see this ad :)
Handwritten.... especially the ones on-line.

I was thinking I would do mine in crayon. Or do you guys think fingerpaint is more appropriate? Just wondering. :smuggrin:

haha you guys are too mean

ouch...you had to know these were coming!

Last edited:
if it's legible, how would it make you a worse candidate?

Robizzle said:

put in less time, jumped through fewer hoops (let's not kid ourselves -- there are meaningless hoops aplenty to jump through in this process).

Robizzle said:

Because illegible writting is a prereq to becoming a doctor.

If its a PDF or Word file that can be typed into, I'd rather type it. If I can't type into a online document then I'll hand write it. Now if I get a secondary mailed to me (which is quite rare these days) then I wouldn't go through all the work of using a type writer. I'd just write it neatly.

When I was applying to colleges, I typed out my responses and pasted/taped them into the spaces if I had a hard copy application. I'll probably do the same thing now. :)

Punkn said:
When I was applying to colleges, I typed out my responses and pasted/taped them into the spaces if I had a hard copy application. I'll probably do the same thing now. :)
I think that looks kinda dumb, honestly. I'd go ahead and write in your name and address or whatever.

TheProwler said:
I think that looks kinda dumb, honestly. I'd go ahead and write in your name and address or whatever.
I would do that if you were going to make a photocopy after, so it just looks like it was typed on the original page.

If the schools application is still mail-in form only, then I guess it is acceptable to fill it out by hand. Typing is more professional for essays, unless your handwriting and spacing abilities are perfect. You're in college (or done with it) so I imagine everyone can figure out how to type the applications if they require an essay of any sort. If you have a paper copy and absolutely no way else to type it, scan it in as a pdf and use adobe acrobat professional to create text boxes. Your school should have scanners and adobe software. There is always the typewriter too (although that might be a ltitle more difficult to come by.) Obviously for some people this will be too difficult (overseas, non-trad student with no access, etc.) but don't fail to type it because you're too lazy. :)

TheProwler said:

I was just talking about essays, not name/address stuff.