Should this count as clinical experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docE15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Sounds like you were close enough to smell the patient--clinical experience! Just make sure you also shadow an MD or DO so you know what a day in the life is.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! Yes, I was close enough for far more than smelling xD and I already have medical shadowing experience with primary care, OB/GYN, Psych, Neuro and GI. It's just not "patient contact" so I wanted to see if this can supplement those experiences.

Yes!

I was pursuing PT for a while during my undergrad, and completed a 6 month (200+ hour) volunteer internship with a physical therapy group. I am now pursuing medicine, and although I am not applying this cycle, I would like to know (for peace of mind) if this would count in my favor in terms of clinical experience.
My responsibilities were purely patient contact. I took them into rooms, set up their electrical stimulation therapy, adjusted it to their liking, communicated with each patient (without the PT) for at least 30 minutes each, administered ultrasound therapy for each patient, helped with range of motion and was made aware of each dx and it's protocols. I was also heavily involved in independently creating the patient's therapy plans (levels of Estim, which exercises are proper for their needs, etc).