Should We Have a Separate Premedical Lounge? Vote

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should SDN have a separate premed lounge?

• Yes we should have a separate lounge

Votes: 106 70.2%
  • No we shouldn't have a separate lounge

Votes: 45 29.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I will actually be very happy once I'm done being a premed (technically I was never a premed to begin with nor still am, but let's assume anyways)... Premed is a very unpopular title... :thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:

holy ****, you have the rocket scientist badge! How do you get that??

Members don't see this ad.

why do you think you SHOULD be accommodated? You think Lee should make you your own special little forum section because you want one? Really, you are that special?

I'm pretty sure that's why there was a poll...to see how many people felt that way. Turns out I'm not special...at least 53 other people feel similarly. :shrug:

Furthermore, that argument is one reason why creating a few threads in the Lounge was thrown out as an idea, with the idea being that they may be a little redundant, but those threads could be a place for people who were uncomfortable with the primary Lounge threads to discuss similar topics.

I'm pretty sure that's why there was a poll...to see how many people felt that way. Turns out I'm not special...at least 53 other people feel similarly. :shrug:

Furthermore, that argument is one reason why creating a few threads in the Lounge was thrown out as an idea, with the idea being that they may be a little redundant, but those threads could be a place for people who were uncomfortable with the primary Lounge threads to discuss similar topics.

right, considering there are 595 people currently viewing pre-allo and this thread has been at the top for the last hour at least

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, cyber-bullying is no big deal, right? just a joke. not like people kill themselves every year and countless lives are ruined because of it. seriously?

im sure you make a fantastic doctor... wow

yeah, hitler was accepted to med school too... guess what...

Dude, are you kidding me? You sound like you just got out of high school debate class. Making downright hyperbolic statements and using marginally related examples doesn't make your point valid. Just...wow.

As for this little movement, I gotta say, it's moved in a direction that I don't like overnight. The lounge is kind of a clique and like any clique, it's hard to get into the swing of things if you want to be a regular poster there. The people there can be mean and abrasive but let's not make it sound like any more than it is. It's an unwelcoming environment but it's not like they actively cyber bully you.

Plus, think of it from their perspective. Wouldn't you guys feel upset if a bunch posts from hSDN came up around our parts? I know that it would annoy me quite a bit since their problems are not problems that we are dealing with at this point in our lives and their personalities no longer match ours (unless you're still stuck in your teenage years).

Anyways, let's just get our own lounge and be done with it.

I don't understand why you refuse to recognize that it's OK for a few different groups of people to have similar conversations.

I don't understand why every conversation in the Lounge has to be in the same context and format it is already in, or why everyone should have to earn the right to have that convo by wading through the BS already in place.

Many people have no problem with the Lounge; those people participate in it in its current format. It is apparent, however, that many people don't like the current format. This thread (and the other one in the Lounge) was made to address that population. It wasn't saying that the Lounge is so bad that no one can join, it was admitting that the current Lounge threads aren't for everyone, and asking how we should accommodate those who are looking for a different atmosphere for chitchat.

I don't see how making one "pre-med off topic thread" in the lounge is going to accomplish what you are trying to do. The first post was asking about cars... I guarantee that if you pull up the current car thread and post that exact same question in the current lounge car thread (no you don't have to read through the rest of that thread or wade through that thread's BS, which I don't think there is any) just to post that question and get responses.

You also don't have to wade through everything on the dating thread.... just jump in and post your question.

Multiple conversations occur in lounge threads all the time.... and if someone bothers you IGNORE THEM. (This was something I learned when I was about 10 years old, if you don't like someone or what they are saying ignore them).

No where did anyone say that it is not ok for multiple groups to have the same convo, but those can all occur in ONE thread about the same topic... instead of... here is the "pre-med dating thread" and the "med student dating thread" and the "vet student dating thread".... and no one expects you to "wade through the previous BS" (I skip a lot of things in the lounge simply because I don't have the time or there were a lot of posts in one day and I can't catch up)... just post your question or what you have to say... and listen to those you want to and ignore the rest... an environment on the internet is only toxic if you allow it to be. You have complete control over whom you choose to listen to and whom you choose to not listen to.

Segregating yourself into your own little world is not the answer... and one thread in which all pre-meds post their off topic comments in the lounge is going to get over-run and be very difficult to follow.... much moreso than just posting in the current lounge threads and ignoring people you find distasteful.

holy ****, you have the rocket scientist badge! How do you get that??

I honestly have no idea. But this thread will be fun to watch. :corny:

Dude, are you kidding me? You sound like you just got out of high school debate class. Making downright hyperbolic statements and using marginally related examples doesn't make your point valid. Just...wow.

As for this little movement, I gotta say, it's moved in a direction that I don't like overnight. The lounge is kind of a clique and like any clique, it's hard to get into the swing of things if you want to be a regular poster there. The people there can be mean and abrasive but let's not make it sound like any more than it is. It's an unwelcoming environment but it's not like they actively cyber bully you.

Plus, think of it from their perspective. Wouldn't you guys feel upset if a bunch posts from hSDN came up around our parts? I know that it would annoy me quite a bit since their problems are not problems that we are dealing with at this point in our lives and their personalities no longer match ours (unless you're still stuck in your teenage years).

What's with so much criticism against Doudline? He's just riling you guys up. Just ignore him and move on.

What's with so much criticism against Doudline? He's just riling you guys up. Just ignore him and move on.

I don't know, I just woke up and he seemed serious. :oops: And to be fair, I only used one small paragraph on him.

Yah, I think most people were ignoring Doudline's interjections. Let's also not overexaggerate the complaints being lodged about the Lounge, though...outside of Doudline, the majority of pro-preallolounge posts have limited themselves to saying that the Lounge is cliquish and sometimes abrasive. Hell, some have kept to more objective statements along the lines of "many people feel unwelcome there". I recognize the fact that this thread was a bad way to start off (as it could be seen as goading them), but at the end of the day, I think it's fairly clear that making our own threads in the existing Lounge is not a viable option. The sentiment seems to be "feel free to participate, as long as you do it our way".

Hopefully we'll get a shot to try a student lounge so we can try participating in a different atmosphere. :shrug:

No where did anyone say that it is not ok for multiple groups to have the same convo, but those can all occur in ONE thread about the same topic
...or they could just as easily occur in multiple threads. If it bothers you, then why don't you take your own advice and, if the spinoff threads
bother you IGNORE THEM.
You say you learned to do this when you were 10, yet you have demonstrated no ability to ignore one (in your opinion redundant) thread.
one thread in which all pre-meds post their off topic comments in the lounge is going to get over-run and be very difficult to follow
It wouldn't have necessarily been just one thread. Besides, why should you care if it gets difficult to follow? I thought you just ignored things that bothered you?
I don't see how making one "pre-med off topic thread" in the lounge is going to accomplish what you are trying to do..
Well, if the goal was to have a conversation with the premeds (chosen only because they were the group of people who expressed a desire to have a conversation together), then I don't see how making a premed conversation thread WOULDN'T address the goal.

You prefer to lump everything into one thread and ignore what you don't like. Fine, that's your preference for the forums. Some people prefer to sort things out into threads with fewer convos going on at once, and follow only the ones with the convos they want to have. Why should there only be a Lounge catering to YOUR preferences?

Never did I say any of it bothers me...

You all obviously still have a lot of growing up to do, since this is like having a conversation with my teen-aged sister.

Do what you like; I was only suggesting that you seriously consider trying to post in the lounge like a normal person would attempt to do and see how it goes. You might get more opinions or insights on things you were trying to discuss in your "pre-med club" thread. There are some really good people there that can give you good advice, whether you believe it or not. I don't understand why you won't even attempt to just post in the other threads, you prefer to assume that something bad is going to happen and you won't like it.. much like a child attempting to eat a new type of food for the first time.

You all obviously still have a lot of growing up to do, since this is like having a conversation with my teen-aged sister.

Do what you like; I was only suggesting that you seriously consider trying to post in the lounge like a normal person would attempt to do and see how it goes. You might get more opinions or insights on things you were trying to discuss in your "pre-med club" thread. There are some really good people there that can give you good advice, whether you believe it or not. I don't understand why you won't even attempt to just post in the other threads, you prefer to assume that something bad is going to happen and you won't like it.. much like a child attempting to eat a new type of food for the first time.

Tried doing what I liked; turned into a ****storm and ended up looking like every other Lounge thread.

I have posted in the Lounge before, when it fit what I was going for at that time. This time, it would not have. I wasn't going for 'more opinions and insights on things', and in fact wasn't trying to discuss anything in particular. There was a group of people who expressed interest in having a convo together in a Lounge thread. That seems in line with the Lounge rules and purposes. I made a thread to accomplish that, but sadly it got derailed.

I never said that no one in the Lounge could give good advice. I also didn't say that they were going to flame. These are assumptions that YOU are making. We clearly do not have the same goals for Lounge posts; please stop telling me what my motivations are/were.

As for the bold, allow me to reiterate since you do not seem to have understood me the last 3x I said it: I DID NOT ASSUME THAT WE COULDN'T POST IN OTHER LOUNGE THREADS WITHOUT GETTING FLAMED. I SIMPLY MADE A THREAD FOR THOSE WHO, FOR VARIOUS REASONS, DID NOT WANT TO PARTICIPATE IN THE PRE-EXISTING LOUNGE THREADS. I EVEN STATED THAT I THOUGHT THE FLAMING WAS EXAGGERATED.

Jeez, I did my best to ignore the first few flame posts, continuing our unobjectionable convo about cars and joking with SDN when they were friendly. I did as much as I could to avoid spinning this off into a trollish "Look, Ma, I told you they were all meanies!" pissing contest and to assume the best of everyone. Clearly I failed; maybe I just suck; maybe I'm immature, should never be a doctor, am like your teenaged sister, have thinner skin than a 10yr old, whatever. At the end of the day, all that matters is that I tried to start a thread for people wishing to avoid the usual Lounge atmosphere, it turned into a prime example of the kind of thread people avoid the Lounge for, experiment failed. :shrug:

I'm not gonna cry about it, I just wish you'd actually read what I post and stop repeating yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
You all obviously still have a lot of growing up to do

Absolutely hilarious given the content of 95% of lounge posts and the attitudes of the "regulars."

I've been using SDN since before you probably even learned what it was, and it remains now what it was then: a bunch of kids creating a cool kids club to which no one else is welcome unless you want to be subjected to its version of hazing. I tried to be a part of your "community" at one point a few years ago and it was utterly pointless.

Edit: I should add that "I ain't even mad" because I have no desire to post in the lounge. I just find it amusing because members are frequently pointed toward the lounge for their "OT discussion needs" when many members that do just that are either immediately turned off by the format or actually DO try and post there and get flamed within 5 posts of what they post.

absolutely hilarious given the content of 95% of lounge posts and the attitudes of the "regulars."

i've been using sdn since before you probably even learned what it was, and it remains now what it was then: A bunch of kids creating a cool kids club to which no one else is welcome unless you want to be subjected to its version of hazing. I tried to be a part of your "community" at one point a few years ago and it was utterly pointless.

Edit: I should add that "i ain't even mad" because i have no desire to post in the lounge. I just find it amusing because members are frequently pointed toward the lounge for their "ot discussion needs" when many members that do just that are either immediately turned off by the format or actually do try and post there and get flamed within 5 posts of what they post.

+1

I find it kind of funny that every time the lounge is brought up three to five denizens from there come up to the hated pre-allo and two arguments are always posited:

A. The Lounge is a nice place! Ignore those that are not nice!
B. The Lounge is only for those with thick-skin. We haze everyone, even the old-timers are hazed.

I don't see why we can't have a sub-forum within pre-allo dedicated to casual banter but keep it moderated. I think that is what most of the premeds in here want; the ability to chat casually without being personally acted. I don't think lumping it in with SPF or the lounge will help. It needs more moderation to keep personal attacks down.

Absolutely hilarious given the content of 95% of lounge posts and the attitudes of the "regulars."

I've been using SDN since before you probably even learned what it was, and it remains now what it was then: a bunch of kids creating a cool kids club to which no one else is welcome unless you want to be subjected to its version of hazing. I tried to be a part of your "community" at one point a few years ago and it was utterly pointless.

Edit: I should add that "I ain't even mad" because I have no desire to post in the lounge. I just find it amusing because members are frequently pointed toward the lounge for their "OT discussion needs" when many members that do just that are either immediately turned off by the format or actually DO try and post there and get flamed within 5 posts of what they post.

I find it kind of funny that every time the lounge is brought up three to five denizens from there come up to the hated pre-allo and two arguments are always posited:

A. The Lounge is a nice place! Ignore those that are not nice!
B. The Lounge is only for those with thick-skin. We haze everyone, even the old-timers are hazed.

I don't see why we can't have a sub-forum within pre-allo dedicated to casual banter but keep it moderated. I think that is what most of the premeds in here want; the ability to ask chat casually without being personally acted. I don't think lumping it in with SPF or the lounge will help. It needs more moderation to keep personal attacks down.

Both of you nicely summarized my thoughts of this thread. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

snowflake.jpg

I am shocked...SHOCKED to find Pre-Meds believing they are special and deserve their own forum. The alternative is almost too ludicrous to consider: Learning to co-exist within the current system, which may require the putting on of the Big Boy and Big Girl pants before entering the Lounge. :laugh: The Lounge is a mostly bark and rarely bite kind of place. Good luck to you all in the real world, which is 100x more abrasive than anything you'll find on SDN.

I think this was my first ever post in Pre-Med....better late than never!! lol.

There should not be a pre-med lounge.

There shouldn't even be a regular lounge. That dump is like Misc. with Down syndrome. I wouldn't mind it if the people there were half-funny, but that whole forum is just dull self-masturbation.

snowflake.jpg

I am shocked...SHOCKED to find Pre-Meds believing they are special and deserve their own forum. The alternative is almost too ludicrous to consider: Learning to co-exist within the current system, which may require the putting on of the Big Boy and Big Girl pants before entering the Lounge. :laugh: The Lounge is a mostly bark and rarely bite kind of place. Good luck to you all in the real world, which is 100x more abrasive than anything you'll find on SDN.

The real difference is that in the real world if people act like they do in the lounge they 1) have no friends, 2) get punched in the face, or 3) create a real world lounge where they hang out with other similar people. I don't mind joking around and even sharp, inflammatory humor as I'm a pretty cut and dry kind of guy, but that's not what goes on there. Masking *******ry as adult small talk doesn't make it any less childish, and most people are above it.

It's like 4chan: amusing to laugh at and check out once and a while, but many people have absolutely no desire to become regular contributors.

(sent from my phone)

snowflake.jpg

Crazy to think the biggest population on these forums by far wants a subforum catered to them.

In the real world it would be called sexual harassment or workplace bullying. I would also choose not to associate with anyone IRL that treated me like those in the lounge treat new kids, just like the pre-meds in here are doing to the lounge.

Ever tried having a conversation with a barking dog? Or 5 of them? It won't hurt you, sure, but it's annoying as hell!
I can put up with plenty of crap...that doesn't mean I'm going to purposefully seek it out as my entertainment. :rolleyes:
Then again, maybe it is a little crazy to want the chill/fun thread to be, you know...chill/fun :eek:

snowflake.jpg

Hold up.

We are supposed to wear pants in the lounge?

I thought the whole point of lounging around was chillaxing with no pants.

Sent from my Galaxy S2

The real difference is that in the real world if people act like they do in the lounge they 1) have no friends, 2) get punched in the face, or 3) create a real world lounge where they hang out with other similar people.

LOL
:laugh:

Yea but its true tho

Hold up.

We are supposed to wear pants in the lounge?

I thought the whole point of lounging around was chillaxing with no pants.

Sent from my Galaxy S2

But how will I circlejerk with my pants on? :confused:

Pre-meds (md+do) should have their own single lounge. They bring most the traffic. They likely have the most threads moved to the wolf's den.

If the student lounge of years ago failed from lack of usage...well, the population has since changed. No way to know if a student lounge today would follow suit without trying. It would take minutes to create a new subforum.

Also, it needs to have better placement on the main forum page. The wolf's den is at the bottom of the page. Hidden from pretty much everyone.

The new lounge needs to be visible. Have it listed up with their sister forums so people can actually find it.

There's plenty of threads that could have started (by myself and others) over the years...from sports to tv shows to tech talk to whatever... but weren't because A) OP doesn't want to interact solely with the wolf den folk, and B) OP knows if they make their thread in pre-allo, it would be moved to the wolf den anyway.

Give it a try, admins. What do you have to lose?

If the student lounge of years ago failed from lack of usage...well, the population has since changed. No way to know if a student lounge today would follow suit without trying. It would take minutes to create a new subforum.

Also, it needs to have better placement on the main forum page. The wolf's den is at the bottom of the page. Hidden from pretty much everyone.

The new lounge needs to be visible. Have it listed up with their sister forums so people can actually find it.

I think all students failed due to it's placement. It was at the bottom near the lounge and hardly anyone knew what is what for.

Pre-meds (md+do) should have their own single lounge. They bring most the traffic. They likely have the most threads moved to the wolf's den.

There's plenty of threads that could have started (by myself and others) over the years...from sports to tv shows to tech talk to whatever... but weren't because A) OP doesn't want to interact solely with the wolf den folk, and B) OP knows if they make their thread in pre-allo, it would be moved to the wolf den anyway.

Give it a try, admins. What do you have to lose?

I think that's an excellent point and another reason why most people don't check out the OT forums. When you have what is probably 40-50 forums and subforums listed on the main forum page, it's incredibly naive to think the average user is going to actually going to look and see what all is available - especially when they're classified into categories that are already pretty useful and correlate to level of training.

(sent from my phone)

Looking at the current composition of the Lounge, the regulars seem to be mostly people in residency or their final years in professional school. When I joined it was mostly accepted pre-meds and preclinical med students. If anything, it was even more cliquish back then. They didn't bother insulting people, they just ignored anyone they didn't know. Which was a lot more off-putting, if you ask me.

But I can see how it would be intimidating to go there and be confronted by a bunch of people with professional badges and whatnot, being snarky to each other or to you, unlike how they would be in a professional setting. They're off the clock. And frankly, the narrower the line you have to toe when you're on the clock, the crankier you are when you're off it. With any luck, you'll realize that yourself someday.

On the flip side, people there don't generally care where you are in your professional training, unless you raise the issue yourself. So you can snark back all you want, and no one's going to hold it against you professionally. At least, I'm not aware of that ever happening to anyone, and it would certainly not be fair.

In any event, I think the real issue is that it's so far away geographically from pre-allo that no one really sees it except people who are specifically looking for it. And thus, new people are pretty infrequent.

The only advantage I can see to having a dedicated pre-med Lounge is if it would be in the pre-med section, and thus more visible to the largest segment of SDN users. But then, if you moved the original Lounge to the same location, it would have the same effect.

The real difference is that in the real world if people act like they do in the lounge they 1) have no friends, 2) get punched in the face, or 3) create a real world lounge where they hang out with other similar people.

NickNaylor is officially one of my most favorite SDNers of all time (I probably stated this before, but it's worth a try). Best statement ever! :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Why not "reform" the Wolf's Den by replacing it with the Lounge (and cleaning its negativity) and moving the Lounge on the top of the thread (as Blais mentioned)? Just as before, members with a certain post count can only see the subforum.

I thought the posts on this threads were over the top...
Then I checked out the lounge.

Holy **** it's a **** fest over there. Just see how the 'regulars' are responding to that car thread created.

Most of the lounge crew don't want us pre-meds there anyway (****ty posting style or superiority complex or whatever they say). So lets have our own lounge then. I don't see how this cannot be a win/win situation.

Why not "reform" the Wolf's Den by replacing it with the Lounge (and cleaning its negativity) and moving the Lounge on the top of the thread (as Blais mentioned)? Just as before, members with a certain post count can only see the subforum.

because the members of the regular lounge would still be there....

I thought the posts on this threads were over the top...
Then I checked out the lounge.

Holy **** it's a **** fest over there. Just see how the 'regulars' are responding to that car thread created.

Most of the lounge crew don't want us pre-meds there anyway (****ty posting style or superiority complex or whatever they say). So lets have our own lounge then. I don't see how this cannot be a win/win situation.

If you add up all the members viewing pre allo, osteo, dental, mcat, etc. you probably have a 5-10:1 majority over the med students/residents/attendings combined. Just move in to the lounge and start posting. You probably have a 1000:1 majority over the loudmouth candy as.sess that troll there.
When they act up, you troll them. If they keep it up, hold them down and give them a hot Carl, or worse.:eek:
The lounge is yours for the taking. Just move in. They can't troll you all. Then it will be them whining for a forum for the outcasts.
Or email Lee and plead your case.

I don't know. They came in this thread and got into a serious argument.

True, but only because they crave attention. If there is a long term premed lounge I think their level of interest would drop over time.

If you add up all the members viewing pre allo, osteo, dental, mcat, etc. you probably have a 5-10:1 majority over the med students/residents/attendings combined. Just move in to the lounge and start posting. You probably have a 1000:1 majority over the loudmouth candy as.sess that troll there.
When they act up, you troll them. If they keep it up, hold them down and give them a hot Carl, or worse.:eek:
The lounge is yours for the taking. Just move in. They can't troll you all. Then it will be them whining for a forum for the outcasts.

Yes, but I don't see the point in breaking up their clique. Making a new subforum is easy and would avoid the conflict that would otherwise happen.

Us premeds can relate on a lot of levels, especially those of us who will be moving on to medical school this fall.

Yes, but I don't see the point in breaking up their clique. Making a new subforum is easy and would avoid the conflict that would otherwise happen.

Us premeds can relate on a lot of levels, especially those of us who will be moving on to medical school this fall.

Exactly if we were to do that we'd need to have EVERYONE on board. Just because we have a lot more users doesn't mean all of those users contribute. Just look at the thread that happened last night, it quickly was taken over by the loungers and I am positive it was because there wasn't enough support. It was a few people from pre-med against their entire forum. Granted, the peak of it happened really early in the morning when there aren't as many users around so that was just bad strategy, but still it's much easier to just get a new sub-forum.

Has anyone actually talked to the mods to see if this can actually happen?

I support this idea, but a few popular premeds went into the Wolf's Den and got banned for the heated exchange. It looks like the regulars have a stronger say in the matter.

Most people in this thread posting ideas are thinking these are new. The same issues have been brought up before with varying solutions tried and failed.

A single OT thread is probably the best in terms of staying within the professional mission on the site.

I think the "wolf's den" is polluted by a few toxic users (see the "regular" who started fighting in the premed thread, pretty much looking for a fight). Maybe a dozen or two people post there regularly, and the environment there is not at all conducive to new people starting threads without being taunted by a few of those toxic individuals.

I liked the all-students forum, it seemed to be a good alternative to the cesspool that the lounge generally is. On the other hand, I also think there is value towards keeping most SDN threads on topic... I think a pre-med "lounge" would be at high risk of constant "misc-like" trolling.

A single OT thread is probably the best in terms of staying within the professional mission on the site.

Agree with this. There are plenty of other sites for the other stuff (Reddit, etc...)

Most people in this thread posting ideas are thinking these are new. The same issues have been brought up before with varying solutions tried and failed.

Who cares where you guys get off stroking each other? The lounge used to be front page fodder, but it's been relegated to the creepy underworld of a backpage subforum.

All Students was great because we could ignore the topics and drivel occurring over there. It closed, and after the first wave of posters who originally missed being able to have side discussions, the AS people departed leaving the lounge to it's current state.

I say, go ahead and have your own clique, and put it at the top of the forums page in flashing neon. That will attract some fine conversations, and it will invite some of the brightest minds of the interwebz.

I say, go ahead and have your own clique, and put it at the top of the forums page in flashing neon. That will attract some fine conversations, and it will invite some of the brightest minds of the interwebz.

Lmao.

Please use your brain next time

Status
Not open for further replies.