Should you post about your acceptance on Facebook?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Since I moved to a different state before high school, I still have a ton of friends in my home state. I was genuinely shocked at how many elementary school and middle school friends actually congratulated me. It was worth it to reconnect with some of them.
And to make @raiderette smile, my mom posted my kindergarten photo with the comment 4 more years. What is it with Midwestern moms on FB?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Even though I would not be able to resist, it's more casual and impressive if you just update your education all like, "yeah I got in, so what."
There's no way not to come off grandiose after getting into medical school.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It also definitely depends on the school to which you have been accepted.

For example, posting a HMS acceptance will in most (if not all) cases come across as arrogant/bragging.

No it wouldnt. It depends on how you present yourself just like everything else.

If an IRL friend got into HMS, I would most likely be impressed and happy for them. They would have to post it in a very awkward, braggart way for it to come off that way.

If you are one of those narcissistic social media users then why not? But its much cooler if you rarely post anything and out of the blue BAM u post about getting into med school. :)

No it wouldnt. It depends on how you present yourself just like everything else.

If an IRL friend got into HMS, I would most likely be impressed and happy for them. They would have to post it in a very awkward, braggart way for it to come off that way.

Also depends on what kind of people make up your family. For example if your cousin is a basket case locked up in his moms home screaming about black helicopters and popping adderall, u might wanna spare your poor aunt. ;)

Way to revive a thread that's been dead for ~15 months, just to be obnoxious.

Reactions: 10 users
Last year I maxed out some plastic to take out a full page ad in my local newspaper.

Facebook is the lazy way to say "I'm better than you". Show some class, people...

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
I didn't, but my friends got on my Facebook a few months later and posted it so I could deal with all the notifications

I bought a few of the bench advertisements near bus stops around the med school's campus. It's just a picture of me with my arms folded over my chest, in a white coat, stethoscope around my neck, smiling. Says [MY NAME] MD Class of 2021.

edit- i should say I bought them before this app cycle though (you have to buy like a year in advance), I think it's what got me my acceptance.

Reactions: 9 users
I bought a few of the bench advertisements near bus stops around the med school's campus. It's just a picture of me with my hands folded over my chest, in a white coat, stethoscope around my neck, smiling. Says [MY NAME] MD Class of 2021.

edit- i should say I bought them before this app cycle though (you have to buy like a year in advance), I think it's what got me my acceptance.
See...that's how you do it. Class.

I also started saying "You're just a PhD..." in every single class, ya know, just to make sure that my professors knew their rightful place. Life runs much smoother when there is a known hierarchy, so you're really just making everyone's life easier.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Your parents/family probably will do it for you so it won't make any difference.

Members don't see this ad :)
I tweeted Donald Trump that I got into med school but he never replied

Reactions: 12 users
I don't think theres a need to make a whole post about it..why don't you just change the school you're attending on Facebook so people can find out that way

Reactions: 3 users
I personally wouldn't make a status because of all the other people who weren't as fortunate this cycle and how that would make them feel. Some of my friends are in that situation and it just seems kind of like showing off by posting something like that. But thats just my two cents

The fact that we really have to debate this for 3 pages....my godddd

Post if you want to, don't post if you think it's some horrendous ego show. Either way is fine.

Reactions: 6 users
I personally wouldn't make a status because of all the other people who weren't as fortunate this cycle and how that would make them feel. Some of my friends are in that situation and it just seems kind of like showing off by posting something like that. But thats just my two cents
I totally respect you for being so considerate but I think this is a lot - are people not supposed to post wedding pics because it's inconsiderate to single people? Not post about having a baby because some people are facing very emotional infertility battles? I think it's possible to be very aware and sympathetic of others' misfortunates and struggles while also celebrating important milestones in your own life. The two definitely aren't mutually exclusive!

And to be clear I'm not some person who thinks everything should be shared on FB, but I am always legitimately happy seeing my friends being successful, even as a single person who got rejected from all medical schools last cycle.

Reactions: 18 users
Reactions: 16 users

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
If you were pre-med, you must have a lot of pre-med friends who are on the same boat. Why not share the good news after all your friends get acceptances?

What kind of psycho makes friends with other pre-meds?

Reactions: 9 users
I really think this topic at hand here is all about how you handle. Post a pic of every school you even visit just to brag, boast about the "prestige" of an acceptance, etc.... not cool in my book.
But personally, I CANNOT WAIT for the (hopefully upcoming) moment when I can proclaim my thanks to the people in my life-friends and family- who have supported me in my journey to get into medical school. I don't see the issue at all about posting a humbled, genuinely happy and excited post about a huge moment in life such as this.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I really think this topic at hand here is all about how you handle. Post a pic of every school you even visit just to brag, boast about the "prestige" of an acceptance, etc.... not cool in my book.
But personally, I CANNOT WAIT for the (hopefully upcoming) moment when I can proclaim my thanks to the people in my life-friends and family- who have supported me in my journey to get into medical school. I don't see the issue at all about posting a humbled, genuinely happy and excited post about a huge moment in life such as this.

I support your profile pic and love for ICUs... Good luck and I hope that you get in.

Why is this even a question. If your success bothers people that much, then hit the unfriend button and keep posting. I will never understand how someone can get upset about another's legitimate success. If anything, it makes me happy and want to push myself harder. Tf?

Reactions: 3 users
Your avatars look like the language in Arrival.

I was trying to figure this out for like an hour. It was driving me nuts because I knew that I saw it somewhere, just couldn't figure out where, lol. Obviously I haven't seen the movie yet :(

Yes it is the language from Arrival. Mine says Harvard Med or bust

You have quite outdone me haha I don't even know what mine says. Hopefully it's nothing bad.

I was trying to figure this out for like an hour. It was driving me nuts because I knew that I saw it somewhere, just couldn't figure out where, lol. Obviously I haven't seen the movie yet :(

It's weird. I loved the concept, but I definitely think they could have done a lot more with it.

You have quite outdone me haha I don't even know what mine says. Hopefully it's nothing bad.

Did you get that after the movie or the short story?
I'm kidding y'all. I got it after I watched the movie. I didn't even know that this was a book. My old profile pic was Xylitol Sorbitol Mannitol from Sausage Party.

I'm kidding y'all. I got it after I watched the movie. I didn't even know that this was a book. My old profile pic was Xylitol Sorbitol Mannitol from Sausage Party.

It's actually a short story in a larger collection. I read one of his other ones, and I'm not really a fan.

I'm sure as hell gonna post it. All my life I was visualized as a ******* who wouldn't make it far in life, let alone education. Now when they see I got into med school, they'll reevaluate their lives and possibly even commit suicide...:horns:

Reactions: 2 users
I'm sure as hell gonna post it. All my life I was visualized as a ******* who wouldn't make it far in life, let alone education. Now when they see I got into med school, they'll reevaluate their lives and possibly even commit suicide...:horns:
upload_2017-1-26_14-42-28.jpeg

Too soon...you have to graduate... pay off your debt... and finally post when you make your first million... hopefully Facebook is around then