Should you post about your acceptance on Facebook?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
10299045_10152107953721238_4231143596905010942_n.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
It also definitely depends on the school to which you have been accepted.

For example, posting a HMS acceptance will in most (if not all) cases come across as arrogant/bragging.

Everything on facebook is bragging

Reactions: 1 users
So you get that first acceptance. The excitement is overwhelming. Should you make an "I got into medical school post" or should you wait until you know exactly what school you're going to/the application cycle is over. Thoughts?

You'll get the evil eye.
Blue_Eye_Crystal.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The gunners I knew and currently know didn't post a status nor a pic of them at their white coat ceremony. They're still trying to convince everyone they're pre-nursing too. As*holes lol.

LMS for an auto-acceptance into HMS, Yale, Cornell and JHU.

Yes. Because opportunities to get 400+ likes don't present themselves very often.
I never understand this attitude. I love it when my friends post about their successes on facebook. It makes me happy to see them doing well. If it weren't for stuff like that, all I would have on my newsfeed would be weird passive-aggresive rants and political **** and I would just go ahead and delete my account entirely.

A combined total of at least 116+ likes in two posts. Impressive. Let's see if you guys can combined break 200+ likes to beat @efle previous record of 100+ likes in a single post

That post isn't actually the record is it? I bet there's some 200+ likes on a single post buried somewhere

Most likes I saw for a single post was like 140 I think(until this post of course.......).

There is a pervasive new groupthink attitude creeping over this country that tells people that being happy about their accomplishments is bragging and by extension somehow offensive and oppressive to the less accomplished. Be happy about what you've accomplished. Just don't be an dingus about it. Be a winner, but a gracious winner.

Edit: Another word was replaced with "dingus", which I like more somehow.

Reactions: 6 users
There is a pervasive new groupthink attitude creeping over this country that tells people that being happy about their accomplishments is bragging and by extension somehow offensive and oppressive to the less accomplished. Be happy about what you've accomplished. Just don't be an dingus about it. Be a winner, but a gracious winner.

For some reason, you're reminding me of my boss's reaction when I told her I'd need time off to go to an interview. She was like "Oh... I have to admit I was kind of hoping you wouldn't have any luck with that." I was expecting her to say that she doesn't want to lose me as an employee, but then she went on to say, "I guess it's schadenfreude. I don't want you to succeed because now I'm just thinking, why can't I do that?" I did not know how to respond to that at all.

For some reason, you're reminding me of my boss's reaction when I told her I'd need time off to go to an interview. She was like "Oh... I have to admit I was kind of hoping you wouldn't have any luck with that." I was expecting her to say that she doesn't want to lose me as an employee, but then she went on to say, "I guess it's schadenfreude. I don't want you to succeed because now I'm just thinking, why can't I do that?" I did not know how to respond to that at all.
Sounds to me like your boss is a dingus.

also reminds me of how many of us can't take compliments because we feel it may somehow be offensive to accept it

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd post it if I wouldn't get outdone by a picture of someone's food a minute later.

Reactions: 7 users
I wouldn't necessarily post "I got in to X school!" but I would definitely post something like "Who has two thumbs and is gonna be a doctor?
...this girl! "

So you get that first acceptance. The excitement is overwhelming. Should you make an "I got into medical school post" or should you wait until you know exactly what school you're going to/the application cycle is over. Thoughts?

No. Keep your business off social media.

No. Keep your business off social media.
67296d1412450000t-s-so-huge-frank-underwood-eye-roll-gif.gif

Liz-Lemon-Eye-Roll-and-Exhale-30-Rock.gif

Hopefully that boss won't be a problem for you for too much longer.

Post if it makes you happy, don't if it doesn't. I don't understand why this is a question lol

It also definitely depends on the school to which you have been accepted.

For example, posting a HMS acceptance will in most (if not all) cases come across as arrogant/bragging.
lol what. just post it if you are proud of it.

I wouldn't it's kinda tacky. I've never been a like ***** anyways, and I don't want nosy people asking me how's school and all that. Imo, the less people have to keep track of me the better cause then I don't ever have to endure the awkward but necessary "So how's ______ going?"

I'd rather evade the small talk.

edit; ok to be more precise i didn't tell anyone i went into pharmacy school, and im glad i didn't because now if i post something like "i got in med school!" people would raise more questions and doubts than actually be congratulatory.

Last edited:
I figured people I know might be interested in the fact that I was quitting my job and going to med school.

I even posted about every single acceptance I got.

(I only got one acceptance.)

I wouldn't it's kinda tacky. I've never been a like ***** anyways, and I don't want nosy people asking me how's school and all that. Imo, the less people have to keep track of me the better cause then I don't ever have to endure the awkward but necessary "So how's ______ going?"

I'd rather evade the small talk.

Is it small talk, though? Isn't becoming a doctor one of the most important things in your life?

Is it small talk, though? Isn't becoming a doctor one of the most important things in your life?
I'd rather not have someone I haven't spoken to in five years use that as an opener though. The only know it if I posted it, and also, became a doctor for my own personal reasons. Idk, it just doesn't sit well with me, if you don't know anything about me other than Rederza The Girl That Got In Medical School.

I'd rather not have someone I haven't spoken to in five years use that as an opener though. The only know it if I posted it, and also, became a doctor for my own personal reasons. Idk, it just doesn't sit well with me, if you don't know anything about me other than Rederza The Girl That Got In Medical School.

So they ask you "So what have you been doing lately? Working?"

And you say................ nothing, and run away?

So they ask you "So what have you been doing lately? Working?"

And you say................ nothing, and run away?
No, I keep it simple and concise. Just, I'm in grad school now. If they ask more, then okay.

Personally, I would not post. I enjoy that the people that I care about and the people that I forget exist don't possess the same information about me.

But, if you want to post, post. I would just make sure that the people you care about, especially those that have helped you, aren't finding out about your successes/being thanked via Facebook. Also, I would opt for the "I will be attending X school" post vs. the "I got into med school" post.

I think posting it is fine. I'd be annoyed with a string of posts like "OP has finished the AMCAS," "OP is waiting for interview invites," "OP wants to know how their interview went," etc etc. Or if you make it a long drawn out humblebrag. But occasional posts about successes are great!

My mother posted my acceptance complete with a photo of me as a toddler wearing nothing but shorts and a stethoscope. And tagged me. Still, she is happy and I can put up with the embarrassment. I am the first one in my family to go to college on her side of the family so it is a big deal to my extended family that live far and wide.

It will also shut up a few church ladies that complain that I am a wild child. She deserves that.

This sounds like my worst nightmare. Good for you for looking on the bright side and being happy for your mom!

You should WUPHF it (the office reference)

Reactions: 2 users
I'm probably going to have mine published in the local news journal.

Reactions: 6 users
My mother posted my acceptance complete with a photo of me as a toddler wearing nothing but shorts and a stethoscope. And tagged me. Still, she is happy and I can put up with the embarrassment. I am the first one in my family to go to college on her side of the family so it is a big deal to my extended family that live far and wide.

It will also shut up a few church ladies that complain that I am a wild child. She deserves that.
Just be warned. Your white coat ceremony may be filmed and posted. I am sure your entire family is proud though. I think you get a pass as a first-generation college student.

You know the number of no responses amongst the standard med school aged people isn't surprising since they are the millennial generation. They've been helicoptered over and thoroughly documented by parents that have videotaped their entire lives from their first breath to the first loaded diaper an everything after that. No wonder there's such an adverse reaction. You all have had a camcorder up your ass for the last 21 years.

you worked hard for it. u should flaunt it everywhere :thumbup:

This is literally what I posted to Facebook

"Hey, I wanted to email,
As this is crazy,
But I just got into medical school
So congratulate me, maybe?"

I would have liked this 1000X times. Didn't realize you got in! I'm so behind :) many many congratulations and best wishes

Thank you, the two posts I referenced above that some obscene likes on SDN were two of my acceptance comments like one on waitlist support thread and another one.

Even though I would not be able to resist, it's more casual and impressive if you just update your education all like, "yeah I got in, so what."