Should you retake prereqs if you already have better grades in upper division work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UGAChemDawg

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I got a D in second semester organic chemistry and got an A in biochemistry and A's in both first semester and second semester physical chemistry, is there any need to go back and take o-chem again?

I don't see what the point would be. If you've already proven that you can make good grades in upper division coursework in a subject, what does going back and taking a lower division class in the same area prove? That would be like going back and retaking biology 101 that you got a c in, after you've made A's in genetics and cell biology.

This is the situation I'm more than likely going to end up in. I'm a chemistry major, and my grades in general chemistry and organic chemistry sucked, but I've done good in the upper level major classes so far, so I don't think I have anything left to prove by going back and taking the lower level chemistry classes again.

Members don't see this ad.

Just wanted to say "hey" to a fellow UGA bulldawg :).

Have you talked with Dr. Langford, yet?

jeepgirl said:
Just wanted to say "hey" to a fellow UGA bulldawg :).

Have you talked with Dr. Langford, yet?

Hey :) Are you at UGA now or are you an alum? Taking anything this summer, by any chance?

I haven't talked to Dr. Langford yet, and I'm probably not going to. My GPA sucks so bad right now that they'd probably laugh me out of the premed advising office and there's no way I'd be able to get a committee recommendation anyway. I was at UGA a few years ago, left, and came back this year to finish my degree. I expect to graduate spring 2007. Actually, I might graduate the end of this year (spring 2006) with my chem degree, but I'm going to have a "lag year" between finishing that and going to grad school, so I'm going to stick around and add another major/do research and volunteer.

Things are looking up the second go-around with college, so if I finish strong and keep a high gpa for my last 2 years of school and get good research experience and extracurriculars in and do reasonably well on the MCAT, then MAYBE I can get a masters and then maybe, just maybe, I'll stand a little more than a snowball's chance in hell of gaining admission to a US medical school.

What about you? What's your situation/plans?

Nice seeing a fellow dawg on here. :)

--Mike