showing interest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

josie

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had any advice about how to show schools you are interested. For example, Boston University's average numbers are fairly low (in my range, :) ), but they get so many applications how can you let them know they are a top choice for you? Is calling the school and asking for a visit or something a good or bad thing? I am just filling out AMCAS now for entering Fall 2004.

Any advice is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Calling the office and requesting a tour is a great idea. You might even be allowed to sit in on a class or something. While this probably won't be remembered by the admissions committee (if they are even aware of it), it will give you great material to use in your secondary essays when you write specifically about why a certain school is right for you.

Other ways to show your interest are to find out if there are any BU alumni practicing near you (you can then see if they have time for an informational interview with you), see if there are any researchers whose research you're interested in and talk to them, and just do as much research about the school that you can. Anything that demonstrates you took the time to learn about the program is a big plus.

Good luck!