Shutdown affect hiring at the VA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Big5Club

Reaction score
Hello! I’ve received a tentative offer from a VA and am waiting on my background check to be completed before I get my official offer (completed physical, DT, credentialing all last week). I know getting clearance can take some time. With all this talk about a possible government shutdown, I’m wondering if it’s possible that my hiring could be put on hold. I seem to recall some fear about the shutdown impacting internships/postdocs several years ago. I know that it didn’t end up being an issue but was wondering if there could be a hiring freeze. I’m supposed to start at the end of October.

Would love your thoughts!

Members don't see this ad.

The VA works on a different budgetary cycle than much of the rest of the government and is funded one or two years in advance. Thus, a shutdown typically shouldn't affect VA. I can't remember if this applies only to essential staff or to everyone at VA, but I think it's the latter.

Reactions: 1 users
With all this talk about a possible government shutdown, I’m wondering if it’s possible that my hiring could be put on hold.
As @AcronymAllergy mentioned, the VA should be exempt from government shutdown issues as we worked through the last shutdown as usual. However, I do know of people who had tentative offers pulled/put on hold when local facilities/VISN when into hiring freezes due to local budgetary/admin issues.

If you have any concerns, you can always reach out to your hiring manager and double check.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to add, neither party would like to be seen slashing care to Veterans, and so VA from my understanding is pretty safe for general funding.

Just to add, neither party would like to be seen slashing care to Veterans, and so VA from my understanding is pretty safe for general funding.

While both parties don't want to be seen slashing care to Vets, one party has made it very clear that they'd prefer to give vouchers for Vets to seek care outside of the VA. Now, Vets themselves are by and large opposed to this, and many providers refuse to participate in the existing programs for various reasons, but I assure you that the push to privatize this care is not over.

While both parties don't want to be seen slashing care to Vets, one party has made it very clear that they'd prefer to give vouchers for Vets to seek care outside of the VA. Now, Vets themselves are by and large opposed to this, and many providers refuse to participate in the existing programs for various reasons, but I assure you that the push to privatize this care is not over.
Agreed. I’ve done probably 150-200 triage appointments over the last year and maybe 10% said that they would be open to Choice. The rest indicate a preference for VA providers, even when being informed that this may extend their wait time.

Many thanks to everybody else who responded. That was very reassuring.

I’ve done probably 150-200 triage appointments over the last year and maybe 10% said that they would be open to Choice. The rest indicate a preference for VA providers, even when being informed that this may extend their wait time.
For people who are trying to establish or increase service connection, it feels like there's almost 100% likelihood of wanting to stay in house, even with really long waits. The people that I've seen opt for community care are often already service connected, urgently want to get better or just aren't concerned about SC/disability.

Reactions: 1 user
For people who are trying to establish or increase service connection, it feels like there's almost 100% likelihood of wanting to stay in house, even with really long waits. The people that I've seen opt for community care are often already service connected, urgently want to get better or just aren't concerned about SC/disability.
Yup. I think you're spot-on. Relatedly, I have to admit (privately) that one of the primary 'differentials' built into my day (of appointments) is the differential between: (a) is this person really here to identify and work on their own problems or (b) is this person auditioning for a service-connection (or service-connection increase)?

There's a big difference between the VA and providers outside of the VA. Most of us out here have no problem kicking someone out and banning them from our offices when they pull some of the **** that I've seen happen at the VA.

Community care at least here is AWFUL. It takes months for them to even call to schedule an appt. And a lot of providers or clinics offering certain services aren't covered by our network (eating disorder residential, ERP for OCD, etc). A lot of providers say that they're trained in services that they aren't actually trained in, so you might have someone who needs full model DBT sent to a provider who doesn't actually do DBT. We're also sending a lot of referrals to neuropsych because our local person quit and we're still hiring a new one, and I found out that local community neuropsych has a wait of several months.

I hate how much people bash the VA and think that community care is superior when they have NO idea what things are like outside of the VA.

Edit to add: Yes, most veterans seem to prefer the VA for mental healthcare at least. I would, too, based on what I know and have seen.

Reactions: 3 users
Community care at least here is AWFUL. It takes months for them to even call to schedule an appt. And a lot of providers or clinics offering certain services aren't covered by our network (eating disorder residential, ERP for OCD, etc). A lot of providers say that they're trained in services that they aren't actually trained in, so you might have someone who needs full model DBT sent to a provider who doesn't actually do DBT. We're also sending a lot of referrals to neuropsych because our local person quit and we're still hiring a new one, and I found out that local community neuropsych has a wait of several months.

I hate how much people bash the VA and think that community care is superior when they have NO idea what things are like outside of the VA.

Edit to add: Yes, most veterans seem to prefer the VA for mental healthcare at least. I would, too, based on what I know and have seen.

Wait time at the VA here for neuropsych evals is about 3 weeks. Community wait times at least 3 months in our metro.

None of the CC referrals I've made in my specialty area have resulted in having an appointment with a CC provider.

• Sad