Shuttle bus from Newark Penn Station to NJDS (aka RSDM)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cheesecake1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to find the best method of travel between Newark Penn Station and NJDS. I'm guessing that since a lot of the students at UMDNJ are from NJ, there haven't been too many concerns of travel (from what I have seen, or rather not seen, on google).

My first option would be to take a cab... But from what I have found while searching on the internet is that apparently, a lot of the taxi drivers at Newark Penn Station try to scam their customers into paying more than the actual cost of the ride. I don't know..seemed a little sketchy to me.

My second option would be to take the shuttle? I came across the fact that there is a shuttle bus that students/faculty of UMDNJ can take from the school to penn station; however, I haven't been able to find much information on that...

Third option: NJ Transit Bus? Does one that will take me to NJDS even exist?

I've been searching on google for hours, but I haven't been able to come across anything useful. If anyone could enlighten me on any of these options based on their own experience or knowledge, I would be ever so grateful. :D

Members don't see this ad.

Shuttle Schedule

Transportation and Housing

The shuttle is by far the best option. You just need to show your school ID card to the driver. There are three other options: Taxi ($15, which is a ripoff, but there's no waiting), Bus ($1.50, a little sketchy and potentially long wait), and the Light Rail ($0.70, super cheap but it stops at Warren St. in front of NJIT so you have to walk a couple blocks).

I'm a Rutgers student and I've been to UMDNJ/RSDM multiple times.

You should most definitely take the shuttle, it runs very often, I'd say at least every 20 minutes, even more during busy hours like the morning or at night, but it can still be late because of traffic in the city. However, what I have heard from students of the medical/dental school is that the shuttle for UMDNJ/RSDM requires you to show your ID to the driver as you get on. I'm not sure how lenient they are to visitors.

However, Rutgers also has a shuttle that is called the C.H.E.N that runs from Penn, to Rutgers, to UMDNJ/RSDM, this one is guaranteed for you, it's free, and you don't have to show any ID. Pick up is usually at the main entrance of Penn by the information desk next to the Dunkin Donuts. If you still get lost, just ask an NJ Transit personnel where you can find the Rutgers CHEN shuttle and you should be fine.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Ooh. Perfect! Thank you both.

Thank you so much for the shuttle schedule!! How did you find it? And why couldn't I.....? Lol. Shuttle seems perfect, especially since they now seem to take Rutgers ID too.

I understand that I can get on C.H.E.N at the main entrance of Penn (which was really helpful by the way, thank you), but where can I get on the shuttle? Is it also the main entrance?

Really, thank you so much.

Yeps, I'm pretty sure both shuttles are found there because that is the drop off/pick up area for Penn station.