Shyness in PT School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Honus27

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I’m a new member and just have a quick question. I was accepted into a PT program starting this summer that I can commute to, and that is not very expensive compared to others ($70,000 in total). However, I’m having some doubts about it.

Mainly, I’m a very shy person and usually have anxiety when I’m in social situations. Things like talking in class, giving presentations, and, to a lesser extent, working with others in groups, have always been very hard for me. I’m worried that I would not be successful in PT school, since there seems to be a lot of all these aspects. If it was just straight lecture, 8-5 everyday, I would feel much better, but I’m not completely sure I’ll be able to handle the workload in addition to the hands-on labs. I feel more confident that I would enjoy interacting one-on-one with patients when not in a group setting, but then again I’m not totally positive.

I’ve gotten good grades in undergrad, but I feel that it’s mostly because, as a biology major, most of my classes have been large lectures where it’s been easy to blend in and learn the material anonymously.

I was wondering if anyone had similar doubts going into PT school but were reassured once in the program, or if a shy and softspoken person can make it through PT school. Thanks for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

You can definitely get through PT school. You may be expected to work in groups but that doesn't mean you have to be a social butterfly. Just know that PTs usually work with a group of people (PTA, aides and other PTs) so it's important to establish the base of working with a group.

You will be fine, just really research the schools you are thinking of applying to. Every school takes a different approach to the material and the field. Some schools I interviewed at were very formal/doctoral orientated(horrible bedside manner) and really separated the PT from the patient. Others were much more adapting and accepting from both the PT and patient point of view.

Ex of different approaches/backgrounds in the workplace: I was in an upscale skilled nursing facility and the younger RN's wore stethoscopes around their necks and demanded to be addressed by their credentials. On the contrary some of the other equally skilled RN's and other students kept them in their pockets out of respect for the residents.

Members don't see this ad :)
It shouldn't be a problem. I'm introverted myself and prefer to stay home on Friday nights. I avoid crowds and would prefer to be with one person than to be in a group. I have group projects, presentations, and I have to speak at meetings. I'm doing fine.

You might want to avoid schools like Marymount that use the "modified problem-based learning." I applied there but I'm glad I got rejected because I'm not sure I would have fit in there. Most schools don't use this model.

Even if you are shy, make sure you participate, give your input, and practice in the labs. You will probably know three or four people really well. You don't have to be friends with everyone, but you do need to get along.

Kevin

Your cohort will help you out with that. Everything is left outside during labs.

Thanks for the responses guys! It's reassuring to know that there are other introverts out there. I think I'm just so uncertain over what to expect and if PT is a right fit for me that I'm working myself up, but will give it my best shot. Thanks again!

There will be TONS of group interactions, especially during labs when you get together in twos and threes to practice techniques with each other, 5 days a week pretty much! However during in school, there were a lot of people like you that were shy and introverted (maybe 20% of the class actually). What PT school does is take this away from you because you automatically get so close with the classmates it makes it easy. The first 5-10 weeks (1 semester max) will be super hard for you, then after that you're gonna be very glad that PT school made you a much more extroverted person and will be much less shy. The personalities from my shy classmates during the first semester compared to today (we've graduated for one year now) is quite vast!

Growth happens when you are outside your comfort zone.. You will be fine :)

Dont worry about it...you will quickly overcome your shyness in front of your classmates when you have to palpate the femoral pulse or TA for example....as many have pointed out before, your cohort will pretty much become like an extended family and you will feel very comfortable around them!