Sick (cold) during Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

musicalfeet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think I'm coming down with a cold and have an interview in 2 weeks. Maybe this is me being neurotic, but how bad would it look if I had the sniffles/runny nose on interview day (I know I'll be physically able to carry on as normal)? My usual "cold" progression will mean that the worst of it should be over in the next 3-4 days, but coughs and sniffles/boogers seem to follow me for another week or two!!

This upcoming interview is one of my dream schools too...UGH WHYYYYYY. I'm really afraid that people will hold it against me (although the sniffles/coughs usually don't bother me in terms of being chatty and stuff....it might bother other people?).

I'd be glad to take some recommendations to clear up the boogers when time comes too ;)

Members don't see this ad.

I had diarrhea during one interview (and plane ride there and back...). You'll be totally fine. No one is going to care. Take some dayquil when you wake up and then around lunchtime and you should be okay, and keep a couple of tissues in your pocket.

Reactions: 2 users
Wouldn't you be well over your cold in 2 weeks time?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This would be kind of ironic.

"Well, I really hope to be able to alleviate the sickness of AAAACCCCHHOOOOOOO!!!!!!! excuse me....as I was saying...."

Not to give medical advice but a doctor once told me if you do nothing a cold will last a week; with treatment you'll be over it in 7 days.

This is why I go to a doc literally every time I'm sick, without fail. You never know. Could be cancer.

Wouldn't you be well over your cold in 2 weeks time?

Usually I feel physically great and back to normal within 3-5 days, but I'll continue with the coughs and sniffles for another week or so. According to my past patterns, that means it's pretty likely I could have the coughs and sniffles during my interview, even if I feel at 100%. T____T

Usually I feel physically great and back to normal within 3-5 days, but I'll continue with the coughs and sniffles for another week or so. According to my past patterns, that means it's pretty likely I could have the coughs and sniffles during my interview, even if I feel at 100%. T____T

You are a volunteer fireperson in your free time, and on your most recent rescue mission you sustained some temporary lung damage.

Acceptance guaranteed. Next question please.

I had diarrhea during one interview (and plane ride there and back...). You'll be totally fine. No one is going to care. Take some dayquil when you wake up and then around lunchtime and you should be okay, and keep a couple of tissues in your pocket.
This is what I'm worried will happen in my interviews. Like, what if I need to have diarrhea in the middle of my interview?!

This is what I'm worried will happen in my interviews. Like, what if I need to have diarrhea in the middle of my interview?!

Isn't this simple? Don't eat the sh*tty food you normally would eat that would cause diarrhea.

Isn't this simple? Don't eat the sh*tty food you normally would eat that would cause diarrhea.

A lot of people experience gastrointestinal upset due to stress, which obviously would be at its worst leading up to and during an interview.

Holy **** nervous diarrhea? I've never even heard of this. But that is a hilarious problem to have. My sympathies.

Can't you take a stool hardener of some kind?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup my cough lasts a long time and totally would affect my interview as I can't get out a sentence without a coughing fit

Reactions: 1 user
There are over the counter anti-diarrheals that you can take which should help. I just kind of powered through, though.

Reactions: 2 users
I can't believe this is a thing, and for so many people no less.

My weird problem is I have trouble sitting still while talking to someone. Mostly due to coffee. But without coffee, I am a very boring person with nothing to say. Consequently, fidgeting is a necessary evil. I hope they don't think I'm a tweeker.

Chill. I've interviewed people recovering from cancer surgery.

In two weeks you'll be fine.

I think I'm coming down with a cold and have an interview in 2 weeks. Maybe this is me being neurotic, but how bad would it look if I had the sniffles/runny nose on interview day (I know I'll be physically able to carry on as normal)? My usual "cold" progression will mean that the worst of it should be over in the next 3-4 days, but coughs and sniffles/boogers seem to follow me for another week or two!!

This upcoming interview is one of my dream schools too...UGH WHYYYYYY. I'm really afraid that people will hold it against me (although the sniffles/coughs usually don't bother me in terms of being chatty and stuff....it might bother other people?).

I'd be glad to take some recommendations to clear up the boogers when time comes too ;)

Reactions: 4 users
Holy **** nervous diarrhea? I've never even heard of this. But that is a hilarious problem to have. My sympathies.

Can't you take a stool hardener of some kind?
I thought everyone got nervous diarrhea from time to time? Haha, maybe it's just me.

He was a great candidate and we accepted him.
His cancer survivor status was considered in the positive context that he displayed a ton of resilience. People who get shot at tend to provoke admiration.

... wow! Dare I ask what that was like? The interview that is.

do you take this stuff into account when evaluating them?

I can't believe this is a thing, and for so many people no less.

My weird problem is I have trouble sitting still while talking to someone. Mostly due to coffee. But without coffee, I am a very boring person with nothing to say. Consequently, fidgeting is a necessary evil. I hope they don't think I'm a tweeker.
I read that as twerker...

He was a great candidate and we accepted him.
His cancer survivor status was considered in the positive context that he displayed a ton of resilience. People who get shot at tend to provoke admiration.

like fifty cent?

You've heard of IBS, right?

Sure. But I didn't know basic nervousness caused it.

I seriously don't see how you could get diarrhea if you keep your diet for the day super light and take a stool hardener.

I think I'm coming down with a cold and have an interview in 2 weeks.

You'll be better by then. This really isn't that much to complain about - gotta work through it.

Bring a box of tissue with you and a hand santizer - apologize (if you want) once - but don't bring it up again. They will understand.

You'll be better by then. This really isn't that much to complain about - gotta work through it.

Bring a box of tissue with you and a hand santizer - apologize (if you want) once - but don't bring it up again. They will understand.

What if I have a cough...?! I have started coughing today and it's t-11 days until my next interview. My coughs tend to last FOREVER too

What if I have a cough...?! I have started coughing today and it's t-11 days until my next interview. My coughs tend to last FOREVER too

Dayquil. Codeine. Robitussin.

Wait can't you reschedule? I thought schools tend to be flexible with things like this.

Dayquil. Codeine. Robitussin.

Wait can't you reschedule? I thought schools tend to be flexible with things like this.

I'm just going to go ahead and say definitely don't take codeine before/during a medical school interview.

I'm just going to go ahead and say definitely don't take codeine before/during a medical school interview.

If OP is anything like me he/she is a far less boring person when looped.

The one and only time I took codeine, I had a crazy reaction to it and basically thought I was dying. Definitely don't want that to happen to you, OP.

The one and only time I took codeine, I had a crazy reaction to it and basically thought I was dying. Definitely don't want that to happen to you, OP.

I am really hoping not to take anything actually :) I tend to get loopy on those things. Just like how I'm funnier sober than drunk too..(counterintuitive I know)

EDIT: it's been officially a week since I've been sick! Still boogery and coughy as ever! T-8 days before interview. AH. What are the chances it'll be gone by then?!

T-8 days before interview. AH. What are the chances it'll be gone by then?!

I think you should get over it by then... I usually take more Vit C when I'm sick. Maybe get some non-drowsy Sudafed to help with the congestion and Cepacol lozenges for the cough- if you aren't better by the day before your interview!

Big whoop de doo... then cough.

I keep going to my job even with Pneumonia. If you aren't going to die - then you should go.

I don't even care if you lose your voice... sit closer and whisper.

Just stop over reacting - it will be fine.

Chill. I've interviewed people recovering from cancer surgery.

In two weeks you'll be fine.

I love that you checked this conversation against reality.

Freaking out about having a cold, or in this case the remnants of one, is truly absurd.

When I get colds I lose my voice completely and can only whisper. Had this happen to me once right before a job interview.
What should one do in this situation? Reschedule?