SICU vs. MICU...any thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlueJasper

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think the obvious answer is a SICU rotation may look better, but what if I can't get a SICU? Would MICU also look good to programs (especially a program that you want to match at?)

thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure you can say SICU "looks better". They're both critical care.

As an MS4, I'd choose SICU, because the attendings tend to be surgery/anesthesia, so rounds are quicker, notes are shorter, and patients move quicker. I don't believe one is any more similar to anesthesia than the other.

Members don't see this ad :)
bonus of sicu vs. micu is exposure to anesthesia attendings and residents if you want to match there.

bonus of sicu vs. micu is exposure to anesthesia attendings and residents if you want to match there.

This is how I got a letter.

If they are going to let you do procedures, I'd rather learn in the SICU than the MICU. I've seen medicine residents take over an hour putting in a central line and 30+ minutes putting in an a-line. Then again, they only have to do like 5 of each in their entire residency to be eligible for boards.

One potential advantage of MICU (depending on your attendings and patient population) is a little more throrough coverage of vents. I did one of each. I'm glad I did more critical care than anesthesia as a MS4. Being comfy with vents was a huge help as an intern. You'll perfect your intubating skillz later.