Side Job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PromethazineDM

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone doing something other than pharmacy as their side job? If so, what is it?

I quit my second job per diem and did something else totally different in computer related field. Do you guys have another side job?

Members don't see this ad.

Wasn't there a woman here who also worked at Bath & Body Works?

Many years ago, I worked with two pharmacists who also owned a car wash. A few years ago, I found both of them on social media; it looks like one of them is no longer practicing pharmacy and also sold his share of the carwash to his partner.

I got my taxi license. It’s pretty chill. Make my own hours for the most part. Money is okay. Lots of down time.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I got my taxi license. It’s pretty chill. Make my own hours for the most part. Money is okay. Lots of down time.

People still take Taxi? lol.
Can't imagine you'd come close to pharmacist salary doing that.
When I was money hungry, I'd hit up a LTC pharmacy. They always needed someone to check cycle counts, just take boxes of bubble packed meds and check them. They'd need a pharmacist there till 2am. It was chill, just sit and check.

People still take Taxi? lol.
Can't imagine you'd come close to pharmacist salary doing that.
When I was money hungry, I'd hit up a LTC pharmacy. They always needed someone to check cycle counts, just take boxes of bubble packed meds and check them. They'd need a pharmacist there till 2am. It was chill, just sit and check.
I live somewhere that has basically no public transportation, no free hotel shuttles, and no Uber/Lyft allowed in the airport. I’d rather be doing pharmacist work, but it’s a rural island with few opportunities (but somehow a pharmacy school).

I'm in the Cannabiz. Won a dispensary license and sold it, train dispensary agents, consult and compete for more licenses. It can be quite lucrative if you know the right people, are willing to put in the time and some $$$.

Reactions: 3 users
Design/sell custom colored lapel pins. Did a stint for a while as a 3d modeler for a 6mm fantasy miniature company.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm in the Cannabiz. Won a dispensary license and sold it, train dispensary agents, consult and compete for more licenses. It can be quite lucrative if you know the right people, are willing to put in the time and some $$$.
bless your heart

hard time finding a side hustle that will compare with the dollars per hour of a rph - you best bet is to work OT and then invent to make passive income (you can argue what is the best passive income - rentals, vending, day trading, invest to idnex funds, etc) Personally unless you simpy enjoy the work, find a part time gig

hard time finding a side hustle that will compare with the dollars per hour of a rph - you best bet is to work OT and then invent to make passive income (you can argue what is the best passive income - rentals, vending, day trading, invest to idnex funds, etc) Personally unless you simpy enjoy the work, find a part time gig

I agree. I don't like working another pharmacy gig. Still ton of responsibility, liability, thinking involved. But, can't find anything else that will pay me 60 plus dollars an hour. So, I am where I am.

I work per diem at a local old school behavioral hospital. The pay is less but I get to sit and catch up on my podcast.

I live somewhere that has basically no public transportation, no free hotel shuttles, and no Uber/Lyft allowed in the airport. I’d rather be doing pharmacist work, but it’s a rural island with few opportunities (but somehow a pharmacy school).

lol...that place is charming as hell.

my cab driver was taking me somewhere there and he stopped to pick up his son before dropping me off. if that's not small town, i dunno what is, hahaha.

Kirby was his name, not sure what he's up to now.

I agree. I don't like working another pharmacy gig. Still ton of responsibility, liability, thinking involved. But, can't find anything else that will pay me 60 plus dollars an hour. So, I am where I am.

I agree it's hard finding any job unreleated to pharmacy matching our hourly rate. It's even harder to combine your passion and make money of it. I was able to convert a hobby to making anywhere from 2k to 12k a month but I had to work for free for a while to get this point.

I agree about passive income - rentals and stocks is where it's at. I know pharmacist that own multiple housing unit and rent it out. After the mortgage is paid off; they will likely have pension, 403b/401K, and rental.

I think we might have BIG buying opportunity in housing and stock market soon

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm curious myself, how does one even get started/trained on training others and acquiring new licenses? (Which is pretty much everything you just said, lol) Feel free to PM me for the lengthy explanation, thanks.

I'm curious myself, how does one even get started/trained on training others and acquiring new licenses? (Which is pretty much everything you just said, lol) Feel free to PM me for the lengthy explanation, thanks.

I was fortunate enough to join an older group of gentlemen who were successful business men and entrepreneurs. They had been following the bill as it went thru legislation. When the bill passed and the application dropped we had consultants from other states in cannabis, security, insurance, real estate and banking ready to go. When the application dropped we had 60 days to complete it. We competed for a processing, cultivation and dispensing license having won dispensary only. We performed a risk/benefit analysis and decided the best route was to sell. The application cost us 110k to prepare and submit. I made 16x on my initial investment. I still dabble in the industry as a consultant, educator, presenter and at some point a Clinical Director.
Much of the success of the program is dependent on the State legislating it properly. Do it like New York or Minnesota and you have a failing program. They are too restrictive. Do it like Chris Christie did in NJ and you have a failing program. They are trying to fix it and I will compete for it. Do it like Nevada and New Mexico and you have a very successful program. Our group was watching WV until they went total nuts. They want to authorize 50 cultivators, 50 processors and 165 dispensaries! This will flood the state with product, killing gross margins making doing business there impossible.
If you'd like to give me your state and I'll let you know the chances of success or when they may legalize.

That’s a pretty specialized skill set - doubt any of us on this forum could do what you do

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'd actually disagree and say that most pharmacists can do what I do. The problem is the time investment to yield. If .you want to be a slumlord, you have to accumulate some capital and take on the stress of a magnate, to do what I do, you go through three years of school and some pretty annoying jobs that establish credibility. If there was a high probability get rich quick plan, I would have done it. Since there isn't, I preferred the high probability get comfortable and then wealthy in a reasonable amount of time plan (and the one where I deal with people the least).

And I'm there, but the downside is that I would like some of my time back. Once you start, it's hard to stop, and contracting work goes through wild swings of profitability and starvation.

lol...that place is charming as hell.

my cab driver was taking me somewhere there and he stopped to pick up his son before dropping me off. if that's not small town, i dunno what is, hahaha.

Kirby was his name, not sure what he's up to now.
My cab driver in Bolivia did the same thing. Took his daughters to school then drove us to some ruins.

I work at a friends Independent. BCCCP recommending stuff for Poison Oak and verifying scripts. Makes me feel like being a new grad all over again.

If you have the personality (I don't), then sales gigs can pay quite well. One of the part-time floaters I work with is also a real-estate agent. He sells to a lot of pharmacists and doctors. I'd imagine that a lot of these leads are generated from new RX call-ins and transfers. He said that dentists are the easiest people to sell to and the most susceptible to flattery.

If you have the personality (I don't), then sales gigs can pay quite well. One of the part-time floaters I work with is also a real-estate agent. He sells to a lot of pharmacists and doctors. I'd imagine that a lot of these leads are generated from new RX call-ins and transfers. He said that dentists are the easiest people to sell to and the most susceptible to flattery.

I know plenty of pharmacists with real estate license. None put it to good use. I don't know if I would want to mix business with pleasure over Rx call in especially when your store is busy.

I might be a silent investor in a service for the security portion of dispensaries. I'm sure you're familiar with the indefinite requirements for CCTV...

There are "moral character" clauses within the BOP administrative rules for most states. I wonder how they would view these sort of activities.

I might be a silent investor in a service for the security portion of dispensaries. I'm sure you're familiar with the indefinite requirements for CCTV...

Yes, I was very shocked at the cost for storage. When we competed for Pa's licenses they originally had storage requirements for 5 years. We estimated the cost of this at somewhere around an extra 100k per year. They eventually changed the requirement to something like 1 year.

There are "moral character" clauses within the BOP administrative rules for most states. I wonder how they would view these sort of activities.

The State Boards so far have been indifferent. In Pennsylvania and Connecticut Pharmacists or Physicians are required to be behind the counter during all business hours. The Commissions which institute the regs usually have 1 or more pharmacists as members which is the case in West Virginia. How is cannabis consumption immoral?

My side job is a weekend gig doing inpatient staffing. It pays about $13 more per hour than my main gig, and is very relaxed. The way things are going I wouldn't be surprised if I was let go in the next year. Ah well, c'est la vie.

Not consumption. Sales. Because you’re supporting their addiction.

Uh oh, I may have to call the cannabis misconception police on you. From an oft quoted NIDA study the addiction rate of marijuana is 9%. We all know the factors that are associated with addiction and it takes much more than just a drug. The addiction rates for oxycodone and alprazolam are much higher. Although we don't dispense alcohol it is also higher.
Marijuana is legal on the state level. As long as we practice within the state guidelines the State Boards of Pharmacy are steering clear. With 29 states and the District of Columbia having legal programs it's too big of a battle for them to fight.

Did you contact the state board of pharmacy and ask them as a pharmacist if you work in the cannabis industry would there be any adverse consequences? I live on Colorado and at many dispensaries you can make $15 per hour plus if you get your med badge, so I have considered it too.

Uh oh, I may have to call the cannabis misconception police on you. From an oft quoted NIDA study the addiction rate of marijuana is 9%. We all know the factors that are associated with addiction and it takes much more than just a drug. The addiction rates for oxycodone and alprazolam are much higher. Although we don't dispense alcohol it is also higher.
Marijuana is legal on the state level. As long as we practice within the state guidelines the State Boards of Pharmacy are steering clear. With 29 states and the District of Columbia having legal programs it's too big of a battle for them to fight.
It’s not my opinion/belief. I’m just saying why a BOP member with a stick up their butt could take action against your license.

It’s not my opinion/belief. I’m just saying why a BOP member with a stick up their butt could take action against your license.

True, but I know of no incident such as this prior to my getting involved in any state. I keep very close tabs on any actions taken against HCP's. So far it has only happened in egregious cases such as a few physicians running cannabis recommendation mills. We have several pharmacists in our state who are much deeper in than I am.

Did you contact the state board of pharmacy and ask them as a pharmacist if you work in the cannabis industry would there be any adverse consequences? I live on Colorado and at many dispensaries you can make $15 per hour plus if you get your med badge, so I have considered it too.

No I didn't. I'm at the point in my career where my entrepreneurial spirit is the driving force. I've also got some fu money in the bank. I'm not going to let some weenie academic type at the board dictate my future.

I do some survey sites... usually net 1-1.5K a year depending on how many I click on. I only do healthcare surveys with sites I make more than my hourly wage

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What's going on with Brand Institute? I haven't received anything from them in at least 6 months.