Sigh.. GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MichaelWestin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So...

At the end of this semester, I will apply to dental school. I'm taking the DAT in early June, and I'm prepping hardcore for it. I'm in my mid to late 20's, and when I was in college from 18-20 I did really, really poor. Lots of F's and W's. LOTS. I was working full-time and going to school part-time, had no idea what I wanted out of school, and never took it seriously.

In 2008 I realized I wanted to be a dentist. Since Fall of '08, I have taken 90 credits and by the end of this semester I will have 106 credits. This gpa should be 3.5/3.3 science by the end of the semester. I know the ADA counts every class you've ever taken (even though it was a good 7-8 years ago) and I have already done the calculations based on those grades. It brings my overall GPA down to like 2.7. How big of a problem will this be? I really don't want to do post-bacc or a masters because I feel like I've wasted enough time, plus I still have four years of dental to go, and my final year of undergrad next year. I'm not saying I'm better than those programs, just that I wasn't really trying the first time around, and that my grades now are pretty solid.

Anyone know how this might play out according to the ADA, and what adcoms will see?

Members don't see this ad.

It's hard to say without a DAT score to look at. But IMO, even a spectacular DAT does not overshadow a bad GPA to adcoms.

It's hard to say without a DAT score to look at. But IMO, even a spectacular DAT does not overshadow a bad GPA to adcoms.

Funny, I applied with a sub-3.0 GPA and 24+ DAT and managed to get in to 4 schools on my first application cycle, two of which are generally considered to be highly competitive.

Advice to OP: Get an amazing DAT score,it can make up for a lot of indiscretion.

Members don't see this ad :)
Funny, I applied with a sub-3.0 GPA and 24+ DAT and managed to get in to 4 schools on my first application cycle, two of which are generally considered to be highly competitive.

Advice to OP: Get an amazing DAT score,it can make up for a lot of indiscretion.

*clap*
Some places look more on you DAT score than your GPA. Some look at GPA more than DAT. Nail the DAT, find out which ones weigh DAT heavier and aply there. If you dont get over a 24 like armor said, I would strongly look into a post bacc

Well OP, there's what you've got to do!

...You could also talk to the dental schools. They're not idiots. They'll see the fact that you had a 7-8 year break between taking classes, and I'm sure they'll consider it. I think what you did during those 7-8 years could be huge on your application (real world job experience...travel...simply developing a higher level of maturity). This doesn't mean you can slack on the DAT, but I don't think it's as bad as you think. Keep in mind adcoms are human.

...you could also talk to the dental schools. They're not idiots. They'll see the fact that you had a 7-8 year break between taking classes, and i'm sure they'll consider it. I think what you did during those 7-8 years could be huge on your application (real world job experience...travel...simply developing a higher level of maturity). This doesn't mean you can slack on the dat, but i don't think it's as bad as you think. Keep in mind adcoms are human.

+1

...You could also talk to the dental schools. They're not idiots. They'll see the fact that you had a 7-8 year break between taking classes, and I'm sure they'll consider it. I think what you did during those 7-8 years could be huge on your application (real world job experience...travel...simply developing a higher level of maturity). This doesn't mean you can slack on the DAT, but I don't think it's as bad as you think. Keep in mind adcoms are human.

And what if they have 20 other applicants with equal situations that DIDN'T do so poorly in early years of undergrad?

To the OP, I'm not trying to be a downer here but I think you have to give them a pretty compelling reason to accept you over someone else who won't bring down their average GPA. I was told by Baylor that the only reason I didn't get in on Dec. 1st was my GPA. And it's only .1 points lower than their average last year!

My situation certainly isn't uniform for all the schools and you may run into something totally different but that's been my experience. Sincerely, good luck.