Sigma Sigma Phi: Does it mean anything for the MD Match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thecampuslegend

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may be a question for aProgD or any other individual who is on a residency interview panel. Sigma Sigma Phi is the DO version of the Alpha Omega Alpha for MDs. I was wondering if MD programs put the same weight upon SSY as they do on the AOA? Or if they just kinda look at it as another check box, and move on? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

This may be a question for aProgD or any other individual who is on a residency interview panel. Sigma Sigma Phi is the DO version of the Alpha Omega Alpha for MDs. I was wondering if MD programs put the same weight upon SSY as they do on the AOA? Or if they just kinda look at it as another check box, and move on? Thanks.

I'd never even heard of it before this. Looking at it (and their membership requirements), I'm not sure it's really the same thing as AOA, maybe more like Gold Humanism Award. I'm not arguing that it's a bad thing to get, but the rules say that you can have up to 25% of the total # of students in all 4 classes at a school as members. So you could just elect the entire 4th year class every year.

AOA is more like 5-10% at most. My class of 250 had <20 AOA members in it.

TL;DR...it's not AOA, but it's not a bad thing either.

So you could just elect the entire 4th year class every year. .

Lol this doesn't happen. But I could see how it could be interpreted that way.

And yea...doesn't and shouldn't hold the same weight as AOA. Was pretty tough to get at my school, but the requirements and competitiveness vary b/w schools so it's hard to assess.

Was also interested to know if ACGME PD's even know what it is or if it even matters.

I'd never even heard of it before this. Looking at it (and their membership requirements), I'm not sure it's really the same thing as AOA, maybe more like Gold Humanism Award. I'm not arguing that it's a bad thing to get, but the rules say that you can have up to 25% of the total # of students in all 4 classes at a school as members. So you could just elect the entire 4th year class every year.

AOA is more like 5-10% at most. My class of 250 had <20 AOA members in it.

TL;DR...it's not AOA, but it's not a bad thing either.

Fair enough, just wanted an outsider's view of it.

There are only 17 members in our 4th year class. Around 25% of the 3rd and 4th year class is up to be reviewed for membership, but not all get inducted. At our school, you don't get inducted until you are a 3rd year....so out of all 4 classes right now there are only 27 members.

And for what it's worth, ERAS only acknowledges two honor societies on ERAS, the AOA and Sigma Sigma Phi, which was why I was wondering about its value.

Thanks for the honest responses.

If it has a special slot on ERAS it probably is semi-important, but my guess is that it's mainly interpretable by PDs at DO programs.

Allo PD's that routinely consider DO's are well aware of SSP. How much weight it carries will vary, same with AOA. Some programs consider AOA really important, some do not. C'est la vie.

As mentioned above, it def can't hurt, and most likely will help to some extent.

Allo PD's that routinely consider DO's are well aware of SSP. How much weight it carries will vary, same with AOA. Some programs consider AOA really important, some do not. C'est la vie.

As mentioned above, it def can't hurt, and most likely will help to some extent.

And that's the final answer. Thanks aPD, thread closed.

Maybe aProgDirector can answer this one:

I'm not a member of SSP, but I did earn a spot in Phi Sigma Alpha, the purely academic society. At my school, SSP was more of a "how many Saturdays did you show up to paint a school building down the road" than anything else. Will being PSA but not SSP help me in any way?

The huge benefit of SSP is that it is listed right next to AOA on ERAS. PSA unfortunately isn't listed as a check box. So, though I am sure it helps I would imagine SSP likely helps more just because of its association as the DO version of AOA (even though personally PSA is closer to AOA imo).

To be honest, until this thread I thought PSA was a blood test with relatively poor test characteristics to screen for prostate cancer. No idea if I'm the only one. Bottom line is I wouldn't count on allo PD's knowing what this is.

To be honest, until this thread I thought PSA was a blood test with relatively poor test characteristics to screen for prostate cancer...

LOL, Admissions criteria are getting ridiculous if you now need high lab values just to set yourself apart. I personally recommend ranking people based on ESR, I hear it correlates better with a successful intern year.:)

The huge benefit of SSP is that it is listed right next to AOA on ERAS. PSA unfortunately isn't listed as a check box. So, though I am sure it helps I would imagine SSP likely helps more just because of its association as the DO version of AOA (even though personally PSA is closer to AOA imo).

Well that sucks.