Sign me up!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Columbia07

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is taken from the Physicians for a National Health Program.

http://www.pnhp.org/facts/singlepayer_faq.php

Why shouldn’t we let people buy better health care if they can afford it?

Whenever we allow the wealthy to buy better care or jump the queue, health care for the rest of us suffers. If the wealthy are forced to rely on the same health system as the poor, they will use their political power to assure that the health system is well funded.
:eek:

This is an absurd way of thinking. I can't believe someone actually wrote this statement. So much for my freedom.

Members don't see this ad.

I can't believe that I'm saying this, as I'm quite liberal on most political issues and support a universal (though multi-payer) health care system, but here's another triumph of wishful thinking over human reality.

I really wonder why the author of the statement thinks that, if the U.S. were to implement a single-payer system, the "wealthy" would use their political power to "assure that the health system is well-funded" rather than to bring private-sector funding back into the system. Conservative "revolutions" do happen -- just look at the Reagan era.