Sign on Bonus!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BiOGoly

PharmD, BCGP
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey peeps!

I know a lot of you are graduating next month so I'm assuming jobs are lined up. What kind of sign-on bonuses have you been offered? Just want to get some idea of the current sign-on bonus range nation wide.

Members don't see this ad.

BiOGoly said:
Hey peeps!

I know a lot of you are graduating next month so I'm assuming jobs are lined up. What kind of sign-on bonuses have you been offered? Just want to get some idea of the current sign-on bonus range nation wide.

I am graduating in 2009 and my sign-on bonus is $0 after IRS taxes and Tennecare..i still have a remaining $0...to spend... ;)

come on guys...share those SB with us..at at least in spirit ..by telling us :D

GabonpharmD said:
I am graduating in 2009 and my sign-on bonus is $0 after IRS taxes and Tennecare..i still have a remaining $0...to spend... ;)

come on guys...share those SB with us..at at least in spirit ..by telling us :D

I haven't taken any yet, but I've heard sign on bonuses ranging from 10,000 - 25000. gives you something to dream about. =)

Members don't see this ad :)
$50,000 over 5 years at this chain in Oregon. $25,000 over 3 years and $5000 over 1 year at some others.

NguoiVN said:
$50,000 over 5 years at this chain in Oregon. $25,000 over 3 years and $5000 over 1 year at some others.
hi em, di truong hoc nao

I read on the army's website a few days ago they are offering $30K as a sign-on bonus. If you take the bonus, then you can't participate in their loan reimbursement program, though, which pays back $28K per year up to $111K total.

Then again, their salary is around $40K.

DrugDealer said:
I read on the army's website a few days ago they are offering $30K as a sign-on bonus. If you take the bonus, then you can't participate in their loan reimbursement program, though, which pays back $28K per year up to $111K total.

Then again, their salary is around $40K.

there must be another ( additional) way to make money as a pharmacist in the army..40K a year? maybe one can have a part time job..or something.. :eek:

GabonpharmD said:
there must be another ( additional) way to make money as a pharmacist in the army..40K a year? maybe one can have a part time job..or something.. :eek:

They also give you a monthly allowance for food, and help you with housing as well. The salary is low, but there are many other benefits.

Shovingit said:
They also give you a monthly allowance for food, and help you with housing as well. The salary is low, but there are many other benefits.
Exactly. For example: you get free housing on base, or if you choose to live off base, you get a montly housing allowance. The amount you get depends on what part of the country you're in, but it goes as high as $3000 per month for some areas.

DrugDealer said:
Exactly. For example: you get free housing on base, or if you choose to live off base, you get a montly housing allowance. The amount you get depends on what part of the country you're in, but it goes as high as $3000 per month for some areas.

There is also special pay. The total compensation with tax benefits is about 70,000. They also give you a 1500/month stipend while in school in addition to paying tuition.

The Indian Health Service also offers those signing bonuses and benefits

kkelloww said:
There is also special pay. The total compensation with tax benefits is about 70,000. They also give you a 1500/month stipend while in school in addition to paying tuition.

Can u link where u found this information? I am thinking about this route to alleviate some heavy student loans but..... still weighing the options.

This is a response I posted to a statement made on a thread about military pharmacy and why people do it and get out. I think it is applicable here as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkelloww
Probably the reason most want to get out is because of the pay difference. It is significant. ~65K vs 100K.

Actually, no. The reason most get out is because they do not want to be in the military. If they do think there is a huge pay difference it is because they are uninformed. I am an active duty military officer and my wife is a Pharm D (civilian hospital pharmacist). If the planets align I will start pharmacy school in the fall of ’07. I speak to people frequently who either are currently military pharmacists or want to be. The biggest objections I hear are the pay differences and the risk of deployments.

Here is the reality on the money issue. Military pay AND BENEFITS are structured drastically different then civilian pay. Military pay consists of salary, food allowance, and housing allowance. Housing allowance is about 20% of your total pay and is not taxed (that means no fed, state, social security, Medicare, etc). Calculate how much greater your current take home pay would be if 20% of what you make had no deductions. You do not pay for medical (including ALL prescription drugs), dental, or vision insurance. You automatically have term life insurance for free (I think it is $200,000) and you can opt in for more (I pay $30 a month for $400k on me and $200k on my wife, try matching that in the civilian sector). If you get hurt, there is no disability insurance at 60% of your pay...you draw full pay, and there is no fee for that either. You do not pay into a 401K plan because of the military retirement plan-After 20 years of service you draw a retirement check each month that is 50% of your base pay when you retired (if you enter service as a pharmacist at the age of 26 you can retire and start drawing a pension check at 46), you can earn up to 75% for 30 years of service. In addition you have post privileges to the commissary (we pay about 25% less then a grocery store, figure out those savings over the rest of your life), PX, and a wealth of recreational facilities at any military base (it costs me $16 to play 18 holes of golf on saturday morning). My wife does make more money then I do of course, but what actually gets deposited into our checking accounts is not drastically different. Oh by the way, if you do get deployed you have NO DEDUCTIONS for taxes, social security, medicare, etc from ANY of your pay for the duration of the deployment and you get hazardous duty pay and family separation pay on top of it.

Most pharmacists who get out of the military do so because they do not want to be in the military and entered for the wrong reasons. It is easier to say “I am getting out for the money” then to say “I made a poor decision” or “I didn’t know what I was getting into.” Many new pharmacists see the $40,000-$60,000 of debt relief that the military offers and don’t look beyond that. It is not symptomatic of pharmacists, many other career fields in the military that offer signing bonuses see the same problems. I guess what I am trying to say is, make sure that you realize that as a military pharmacist you are IN THE MILITARY. It is a tough and stressful environment. You can’t quit, call a headhunter, and start a new job on Monday if you don’t like it. However, it also offers things that you will not get as a civilian pharmacist like camaraderie, tradition, history, and pride. You will be caring for the heroes of this country and the aging veterans of the greatest generation our nation has ever seen. At the end of the day you know you provided your patients with great care and you did your part to protect our freedoms and our way of life. Good luck on your decision!

oakland_raiders said:
This is a response I posted to a statement made on a thread about military pharmacy and why people do it and get out. I think it is applicable here as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkelloww
Probably the reason most want to get out is because of the pay difference. It is significant. ~65K vs 100K.

Actually, no. The reason most get out is because they do not want to be in the military. If they do think there is a huge pay difference it is because they are uninformed. I am an active duty military officer and my wife is a Pharm D (civilian hospital pharmacist). If the planets align I will start pharmacy school in the fall of ’07. I speak to people frequently who either are currently military pharmacists or want to be. The biggest objections I hear are the pay differences and the risk of deployments.

Here is the reality on the money issue. Military pay AND BENEFITS are structured drastically different then civilian pay. Military pay consists of salary, food allowance, and housing allowance. Housing allowance is about 20% of your total pay and is not taxed (that means no fed, state, social security, Medicare, etc). Calculate how much greater your current take home pay would be if 20% of what you make had no deductions. You do not pay for medical (including ALL prescription drugs), dental, or vision insurance. You automatically have term life insurance for free (I think it is $200,000) and you can opt in for more (I pay $30 a month for $400k on me and $200k on my wife, try matching that in the civilian sector). If you get hurt, there is no disability insurance at 60% of your pay...you draw full pay, and there is no fee for that either. You do not pay into a 401K plan because of the military retirement plan-After 20 years of service you draw a retirement check each month that is 50% of your base pay when you retired (if you enter service as a pharmacist at the age of 26 you can retire and start drawing a pension check at 46), you can earn up to 75% for 30 years of service. In addition you have post privileges to the commissary (we pay about 25% less then a grocery store, figure out those savings over the rest of your life), PX, and a wealth of recreational facilities at any military base (it costs me $16 to play 18 holes of golf on saturday morning). My wife does make more money then I do of course, but what actually gets deposited into our checking accounts is not drastically different. Oh by the way, if you do get deployed you have NO DEDUCTIONS for taxes, social security, medicare, etc from ANY of your pay for the duration of the deployment and you get hazardous duty pay and family separation pay on top of it.

Most pharmacists who get out of the military do so because they do not want to be in the military and entered for the wrong reasons. It is easier to say “I am getting out for the money” then to say “I made a poor decision” or “I didn’t know what I was getting into.” Many new pharmacists see the $40,000-$60,000 of debt relief that the military offers and don’t look beyond that. It is not symptomatic of pharmacists, many other career fields in the military that offer signing bonuses see the same problems. I guess what I am trying to say is, make sure that you realize that as a military pharmacist you are IN THE MILITARY. It is a tough and stressful environment. You can’t quit, call a headhunter, and start a new job on Monday if you don’t like it. However, it also offers things that you will not get as a civilian pharmacist like camaraderie, tradition, history, and pride. You will be caring for the heroes of this country and the aging veterans of the greatest generation our nation has ever seen. At the end of the day you know you provided your patients with great care and you did your part to protect our freedoms and our way of life. Good luck on your decision!

Do you know anything about residencies? Are they available for pharmacist specialties in the military? Do you have options of service or is it strictly clinic or hosp pharmacies? What type of job satisfaction is there among current pharmacists in the military? Inquiring minds want to know????

pharmin said:
Can u link where u found this information? I am thinking about this route to alleviate some heavy student loans but..... still weighing the options.
Here's where I did my research when I wanted to know more about this pathway:

http://www.goarmy.com/amedd/m_service/corps_benefits.jsp
https://secureapp2.hqda.pentagon.mil/perdiem/bah.html
http://www.military.com/Registration/Pay_Chart?backURL=military_pay_charts (for this last one, pharmacists are considered officers, level 3 [O-3] from my understanding)

pharmin said:
Do you know anything about residencies? Are they available for pharmacist specialties in the military? Do you have options of service or is it strictly clinic or hosp pharmacies? What type of job satisfaction is there among current pharmacists in the military? Inquiring minds want to know????

I am not 100% sure about how the residencies work. It is my understanding that residents are paid the same as pharmacists because it is a rank based pay structure. That would mean no pay deduction for doing a residency. However they will tack on a certain number of years to your obligation. I don't know what the current obligation ratio they are using. I owed 5 years active duty after 4 years of undergrad at West Point. I heard that they are currently using 1.5 years of service for every year of school. Best bet is to talk with a medical recruiter for that specific branch. I am planning to go Navy and I am sure they do things just a little different. Hope this helps!

pharmin said:

The program is called the Health Professions Scholarship Program (HPSP). Look on the Air Force site and here for more info. It is available for doctors, pharmacists, and other health professionals.