Significant Research Essay Audience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

matlas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What audience should we gear the Significant Research Essay for? I'm applying this cycle, and I have written a draft so far. The language I used is geared toward people familiar with the field but not experts, because I assumed the primary audience is going to be faculty on the admissions committee, especially those with similar research interests as me (I think there are places to indicate this on the secondary apps).

However, when I showed it to my premed advisor, she said there was too much jargon, and I should assume the audience has very minimal background in biomedical science. In other words, the people reading the essay would not only be faculty, but also administrators, patient advocate, adcom members without scientific background, clinicians, etc.

For those with experience applying, or on MSTP committees, which is the correct audience? I really don't think I used too much jargon (probably on the level of abstracts from Nature, Science, or other journals geared toward the general scientific audience). My reasoning is that the people who are really going to care about the Significant Research Essay are the faculty members, and the other people (like admins and other adcom members), will care more about the other two essays.

Members don't see this ad.

Significant Research Essay should be targeted to faculty members who are in area dissimilar than the applicant (general scientific audience). An essay about signal transduction pathways in cancer biology should be at a level to allow a system level neuroscientist reading it without having to google terms. It should be clear that you are passionate about the science, the investigation journey, and the long-term consequences of the research and career.

PM me if you want...

I assumed the primary audience is going to be faculty on the admissions committee, especially those with similar research interests as me

Fencer is right. Assume that they are MDs or PhDs, but not that they know anything about your particular area of study.

In other words, the people reading the essay would not only be faculty, but also administrators, patient advocate, adcom members without scientific background, clinicians, etc.

The MD/PhD essays/applicants are different. The MD only essays are more like that.

For those with experience applying, or on MSTP committees, which is the correct audience? I really don't think I used too much jargon (probably on the level of abstracts from Nature, Science, or other journals geared toward the general scientific audience).

http://web.jhu.edu/prepro/health/Applicants/personal.statement.html#mdphd

Previous discussion: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/significant-research-experience-essay.815605/