Significant research essay disaster

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rowany

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saved this for last because I thought it would be easy, but I honestly have no idea how I want to do this. I started it off like an abstract, but because it is so inherently technical and impersonal, I'm not sure how to switch from the background stuff to "and my contribution was..." does anyone have an old essay or excerpt from one that they would like to share with me?

thanks bunches,
R

Members don't see this ad.

PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you mine if you want.

Where is the disaster? I was disappointed with your headline... I thought you were going to say that you were writing your essay and your pencil flew into someone's eye or something.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where is the disaster? I was disappointed with your headline... I thought you were going to say that you were writing your essay and your pencil flew into someone's eye or something.
LOL, yeah--don't think of this as a disaster if you want to make it through the application process sane.

For me, this was the hardest essay to write as well. Don't get the perception that it has to be *only "technical and impersonal." Feel free to mention what parts of your research really excited you, what you loved about your research, how you applied what you learned from one research area to another research area, etc.

You can PM me your essay to revise if you want. Don't worry about the quality--I worked at my school's writing tutoring center and have seen plenty of writing at all levels that can be improved.

I saved this for last because I thought it would be easy, but I honestly have no idea how I want to do this. I started it off like an abstract, but because it is so inherently technical and impersonal, I'm not sure how to switch from the background stuff to "and my contribution was..." does anyone have an old essay or excerpt from one that they would like to share with me?

thanks bunches,
R

Yeah same here, I thought I would just write it mini-paper style but then thought do they want us to go into the details of the science or more into what we got out of it.

If I sent you mine, keep in mind these are answers to the questions from a few years ago.

I'm not sure I even sent you the thing you are asking for, but if I did, keep in mind that they are not necessarily appropriate answers for whatever questions they are currently asking.

I think you'll get the idea though.

lol, sorry for the drama queen headline. I had just spent an entire day hitting my head against the wall. There are so many resources for writing essays, but not for this hybrid abstract/what science has taught me format, I had no idea where to start.Thanks ziggy, I'll probably take you up on your offer once I have something to revise.

Wow... I think most people on this thread/board are taking this way too far...

What "voice" did you write your essay in? Should I be "subjective" or "objective?"

It's all just a bunch of crap. Where's your head/heart at?

You know this is something you are dedicating the rest of your life to, right?

I sent some of you the essays I wrote, and they are all being scrutinized like it is some sort of Boolean Algebra or something.

I don't even know if those are still the same questions they are asking these days.

I'd encourage you all to be forthwright, candid, and sincere about your responses.

This will go a long way further than some cookie-cutter cardboard bull****

Yeah, for the current students, be careful offering to send your statement to anyone. If you offer to send it to one guy you will spend the next year sending it to around 100 applicants, 3/4 of whom registered an account just to send you a PM :laugh:

I wonder how many PMs I will get off this one post. Go ahead, I'm just being cynical. I do still like to help where I can, even if I don't have the time to read people's statements anymore.

Yeah, for the current students, be careful offering to send your statement to anyone. If you offer to send it to one guy you will spend the next year sending it to around 100 applicants, 3/4 of whom registered an account just to send you a PM :laugh:

I wonder how many PMs I will get off this one post. Go ahead, I'm just being cynical. I do still like to help where I can, even if I don't have the time to read people's statements anymore.

Can you send me a copy too?

O_O

May I also PM my statement? I am having similar problems with my significant research statement. It just seems like mundane list of activities rather than coherent statement. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks