Silence from almost all schools, LizzyM 73, complete all places early September

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

t0bes

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey. My cGPA is 3.50 and my MCAT is 521, or the equivalent of a 38. I have one summer of research, 40 hours volunteering at the YMCA, 80 hours volunteering w/ a medical organization in Peru ("voluntourism"), unfortunately only 8 hours of shadowing, 96 hours of clinical volunteering at a children's hospital, 96 hours volunteering on an organic farm, and a ton of job experience at cafés/library/elementary school. I am working as a research assistant now in a psychiatry lab studying bipolar disorder, about to submit manuscript for potential (probably) pub.

I am an American citizen but I live in Canada, which does not make me an international applicant, though effectively I am OOS everywhere. I was complete everywhere by September 13th.

I applied this cycle to:

Albany
Drexel
NYMC
Quinnipiac
Albert Einstein
BU
Drexel
Hofstra
Icahn
Temple
Tufts
Stony Brook
UIC
Rosalind Franklin
Commonwealth Medical
Suny Downstate
NYU Langone

And I haven't gotten a single II! I don't want to complain because I know that getting an II is very difficult... I just want people's objective opinions of the strength of my application and their sense of my chances this year.

I've heard back from these places:

Albany - hold
BU - rejected
Hofstra - rejected
Stony Brook - rejected
SUNY Downstate - request for Fall grades

Whaddya think??

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You may have undershot on your schools. Most of those are low to mid tier (except NYU), which probably puts your MCAT at least at or above their 90th percentile. Could be some yield protection going on perhaps?

Also your 8 hours of shadowing could be somewhat of a red flag, but you do have other clinical experience so I'm not sure there

Reactions: 1 user
You may have undershot on your schools. Most of those are low to mid tier (except NYU), which probably puts your MCAT at least at or above their 90th percentile. Could be some yield protection going on perhaps?

Also your 8 hours of shadowing could be somewhat of a red flag, but you do have other clinical experience so I'm not sure there

Interesting... I thought my low GPA would hinder my chances at upper tier schools or render it impossible to get in. Anyway, undershooting is still much better than overshooting :)

Members don't see this ad :)
you shoulda cast a wider net brah

Your ECs are lacking for someone with your academic stats to be perfectly honest.

Your ECs are lacking for someone with your academic stats to be perfectly honest.

Yes, I think you're right. On the bright side... at least they'll potentially balance out for the low-mid tier schools i applied to?

There are several potential concerns I could see here.

1) No IS schools. If you people didn't have state schools or schools with significant IS bias, those AAMC GPA/MCAT charts would show much lower odds. Right off the bat this puts you at a disadvantage.
2) Meh EC's. Scattered volunteering. 1 summer of research. Good employment history which shows experience supporting yourself/others. There's nothing here though that sticks out at all.
3) Relatively late application. People who are complete mid to early September have success. But completing late when you have no state schools and somewhat discordant stats won't help you.
4) Applying mostly to low yield schools that typically dont interview too many applicants who get a 38 type score on the MCAT. Look at how many apps these schools you applied to get and/or the IS bias of them. Certainly makes things harder. When you combine the fact a number of schools as gyngyn will always say will see an applicant with a 38 as low yield with the fact your ECs are bland, that's not a good combination for getting II's at schools that routinely only offer II's to 4-8% of OOS applicants.
5) What's your recent grade trend? Not the most pertinent of issues as 3.5/38 is plenty often times for being competitive but no recent demonstration of academic excellence doesn't help your case either. The fact that a school asked for your fall grades perhaps suggests your recent grade trend wasn't great or they weren't completely sold on your academic performance.
6) LORs/essays matter alot here. Note there is a huge huge difference between a LOR that is actually beneficial to you(not all that common) and one that simply doesn't hurt you(much more common). When you aren't getting a single II with a 3.5/38, there is a reasonable chance your LOR is in the latter category as could be your essays.

All in all in and of itself this is hardly some poor app. 3.5/38 historically is a stat combo that gets the majority of applicants with that combo accepted somewhere(although having no IS programs is a big thing). But there are flaws here with this app and if combined with rather meh LORs/essays it isn't that hard to see why this application hasn't been able to land II's yet. The soft factors, the little things and how you present your app matter alot. What is in your app that would make an ADCOM want to vouche for you? The MCAT score is fantastic, but like I said above you are fighting for limited OOS spots. It will take more than that in many situations. What more do you have to make an ADCOM want to fight for you in an admissions commitee meeting? The answer to that question will be key if you have to be a re-applicant and want to see how you can have better luck next cycle if it comes to that(note there is sitll time left in this app cycle).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Your application isn't stellar, but it certainly doesn't justify having zero II's this late into the year. I believe you'll get 1-2 II's soon, preferably from schools where you completed your latest secondaries. Have some patience and stay, albeit difficult, positive.

Your application isn't stellar, but it certainly doesn't justify having zero II's this late into the year. I believe you'll get 1-2 II's soon, preferably from schools where you completed your latest secondaries. Have some patience and stay, albeit difficult, positive.

Why my latest secondaries? Just curious.

The thing that stood out with your ECs is that they don't show you know what you are getting into. Have you continued to volunteer? Maybe do an update letter?

Members don't see this ad :)
Why my latest secondaries? Just curious.
Depending on the volume of applicants a school receives, sometimes secondaries received in September and later on aren't reviewed until after Christmas break.

Weak GPA, low/zero continuity in relevant EC's, abysmally low hours in said EC's. Seems like all of your volunteer work could've been done in 1 summer, assuming your summer of research was an equally light load. Better beef up your clinical exposure ASAP for next year's cycle.

Admittedly tangential, but this is just a pet peeve of mine....

Organic farming, when intensified to match conventional agricultural supply, has a similarly negative effect on the enviromment.

Furthermore, organic produce is nutritionally equivalent to conventionally grown produce. In the US, in fact, organic is little more than USDA-endorsed marketing. Allows grocers to sell a good at a premium when the product offers no additional benefit to the consumers.

To summarize my derailing of this thread... please please PLEASE don't make your experience volunteering at an organic garden into a big deal on your app. If anything frame it as experience in agriculture and talk about the environmentally friendly practices you learned about without focusing too much on the organic label.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Organic farming, when intensified to match conventional agricultural supply, has a similarly negative effect on the enviromment.

Furthermore, organic produce is nutritionally equivalent to conventionally grown produce. In the US, in fact, organic is little more than USDA-endorsed marketing. Allows grocers to sell a good at a premium when the product offers no additional benefit to the consumers.

To summarize my derailing of this thread... please please PLEASE don't make your experience volunteering at an organic garden into a big deal on your app. If anything frame it as experience in agriculture and talk about the environmentally friendly practices you learned about without focusing too much on the organic label.

Hahahah don't worry, I am not a bonafide supporter or organic agriculture by any means.

1) No IS schools. If you people didn't have state schools or schools with significant IS bias, those AAMC GPA/MCAT charts would show much lower odds. Right off the bat this puts you at a disadvantage.
2) Meh EC's. Scattered volunteering. 1 summer of research. Good employment history which shows experience supporting yourself/others. There's nothing here though that sticks out at all.
3) Relatively late application. People who are complete mid to early September have success. But completing late when you have no state schools and somewhat discordant stats won't help you.
4) Applying mostly to low yield schools that typically dont interview too many applicants who get a 38 type score on the MCAT. Look at how many apps these schools you applied to get and/or the IS bias of them. Certainly makes things harder. When you combine the fact a number of schools as gyngyn will always say will see an applicant with a 38 as low yield with the fact your ECs are bland, that's not a good combination for getting II's at schools that routinely only offer II's to 4-8% of OOS applicants.
5) What's your recent grade trend? Not the most pertinent of issues as 3.5/38 is plenty often times for being competitive but no recent demonstration of academic excellence doesn't help your case either. The fact that a school asked for your fall grades perhaps suggests your recent grade trend wasn't great or they weren't completely sold on your academic performance.
6) LORs/essays matter alot here. Note there is a huge huge difference between a LOR that is actually beneficial to you(not all that common) and one that simply doesn't hurt you(much more common). When you aren't getting a single II with a 3.5/38, there is a reasonable chance your LOR is in the latter category as could be your essays.

All in all in and of itself this is hardly some poor app. 3.5/38 historically is a stat combo that gets the majority of applicants with that combo accepted somewhere(although having no IS programs is a big thing). But there are flaws here with this app and if combined with rather meh LORs/essays it isn't that hard to see why this application hasn't been able to land II's yet. The soft factors, the little things and how you present your app matter alot. What is in your app that would make an ADCOM want to vouche for you? The MCAT score is fantastic, but like I said above you are fighting for limited OOS spots. It will take more than that in many situations. What more do you have to make an ADCOM want to fight for you in an admissions commitee meeting? The answer to that question will be key if you have to be a re-applicant and want to see how you can have better luck next cycle if it comes to that(note there is sitll time left in this app cycle).
This.

OP, ya got no hook. Nothing in your app that just grabs the adcoms attention other than the MCAT. Maybe if the GPA was higher, stats could be package that hooks you, but late in the game without a hook can be killer. I also believe that one's chances ride on quality of essays and letters more than people think

Hahahah don't worry, I am not a bonafide supporter or organic agriculture by any means.
I volunteered on a few different organic farms while in college. Always good to gain exposure to how our food is produced. Nutrition is a big part of preventive medicine and I think experience working with agriculture shows a commitment to broadening ones perspective regarding the many determinants of health outside of medical intervention, something anyone with an interest in medicine should agree with to some extent.

Since I'm only a ms0 I don't like to post on these sort of threads (after all, what would I know?!) But I will say I agree with others concerns regarding your ECs.

I bet you would really benefit from an extended and comprehensive opportunity shadowing, scribing, etc.

Good luck!

No state schools + 3.5 GPA + average ECs is not a recipe for success. Would it be possible to move back to the states, maybe a favorable state for MD admissions?

My cGPA is 3.50 and my MCAT is 521, or the equivalent of a 38.

You're kind of lopsided. You have the MCAT for tippy top schools, and a GPA that would be acceptable if you were from MIT, but your ECs are modest.

It may seem crazy, but if you were a US resident, and your GPA were a 3.7 and your MCAT was equivalent to a 34, you'd likely have an acceptance from your instate SOM, even with modest ECs (unless you were from Calif).

OP, I am surprised you didn't get an interview.
Your stats are so much higher than mines.
I have a 3.60 cGPA and a 501 on my MCAT. I got an interview at NYMC, SUNY Upstate and University of Rochester. It has to be letter of recs or something.

I hope you will get IIs soon :D!

If it doesn't work for you this year, get a gap year job in a friendly state and increase your volunteering and shadowing. You would do well with IS bias and more consistent ECs

You applied mainly to schools that get a ton of applications, and there's not much on your app that makes you stick out.

Did you have someone you trust read over your essays? Possibility of indifferent or even negative LORs?

This.

OP, ya got no hook. Nothing in your app that just grabs the adcoms attention other than the MCAT. Maybe if the GPA was higher, stats could be package that hooks you, but late in the game without a hook can be killer. I also believe that one's chances ride on quality of essays and letters more than people think

:thumbup:
@piii got right to the nitty gritty...at least that is what I think.
Need more clinical exposure and to see if you match with the schools' missions. The point re: LORs and essays, that has merit too--especially in light of your numbers overall--unless your sGPA took a dive somehow.

Do what you can so you don't waste that nice MCAT :)
Good luck.

Last edited:

Sorry, debatable, and your pet peeve is my pet peeve in the opposite. But it's another debate for another thread, so. . . .

Last edited:
This.

Missed this post, but it's spot on. First thing I thought of after reading the OP was that there's an issue with essays or LORs.

Reactions: 2 users
I think it was an odd decision to add state schools in the mix when you're OOS when there are many lower-mid tier private schools you would be a better fit at. Did you apply DO too?

Sorry, debatable, and your pet peeve is my pet peeve in the opposite. But it's another debate for another thread, so. . . .
Always enjoy conversation. Feel free to direct message me.

If it doesn't work for you this year, get a gap year job in a friendly state and increase your volunteering and shadowing. You would do well with IS bias and more consistent ECs

Is there a state you could move to? BTW....did you apply to that Mich SOM that seems to be fine with Canadian applicants?

OP is not a Canadian applicant. They are a US citizen.

Yes, I know. I worded that poorly.

I meant that there is a MI med school that seems to accept non-resident students from Canada.

Otherwise, the student should move to a state where he can get residency and an easy acceptance.....WV, AL, MS are some states.

Hey. My cGPA is 3.50 and my MCAT is 521, or the equivalent of a 38. I have one summer of research, 40 hours volunteering at the YMCA, 80 hours volunteering w/ a medical organization in Peru ("voluntourism"), unfortunately only 8 hours of shadowing, 96 hours of clinical volunteering at a children's hospital, 96 hours volunteering on an organic farm, and a ton of job experience at cafés/library/elementary school. I am working as a research assistant now in a psychiatry lab studying bipolar disorder, about to submit manuscript for potential (probably) pub.

I am an American citizen but I live in Canada, which does not make me an international applicant, though effectively I am OOS everywhere. I was complete everywhere by September 13th.

I applied this cycle to:

Albany
Drexel
NYMC
Quinnipiac
Albert Einstein
BU
Drexel
Hofstra
Icahn
Temple
Tufts
Stony Brook
UIC
Rosalind Franklin
Commonwealth Medical
Suny Downstate
NYU Langone

And I haven't gotten a single II! I don't want to complain because I know that getting an II is very difficult... I just want people's objective opinions of the strength of my application and their sense of my chances this year.

I've heard back from these places:

Albany - hold
BU - rejected
Hofstra - rejected
Stony Brook - rejected
SUNY Downstate - request for Fall grades

Whaddya think??

#1 It is unusual for someone with your stats to not get secondaries. This leads me to believe that there is something else that schools have seen in your application that they didn't like. (red-flags or similar)
#2 The rest of your application is not doing you any favors. Successful applicants with asymmetric academic statistics tend to have stronger than average ECs. <10th percentile research/volunteering/medical exposure, unknown level of employment (you weren't very descriptive). Is a hard sell for any applicant. But those kinds of things generally get you canned post-secondary.
#3 School list could be wider, but that wouldn't affect secondaries at those schools.

My overall impression is that while your academics were reasonable, your personal statement, LOR and the overall, 'mehness' of your ECs got no interest from people who looked at your application.

Reactions: 3 users
LOL, overall "mehness."
mimelim's way of saying, "Spice it up baby!" :D

Get your hands dirty and jump into the clinical wacky world of chaos versus "mehness."
Put some inspiration into your PS. Find ways to work with others and let them see how much you care about medicine, it's beauty and warts, it's joys, stresses, and sorrows.
I suppose right now you cannot move back to the states? When can you move back,perhaps from where you hail or have lived for a good period of time?

Were the schools from which you accumulated your GPA considered challenging enough?
So you are in Canada just for the research position?
Hmmm....

There's some kind of disconnect here; I mean that's what I am wondering.
Admittedly I could be quite wrong. The"mehness" and a flat PS may be enough to pass you over.

Last edited:
In response to the idea of a hook, which I agree is fundamental: I am an English major and I sought to use that uniqueness as an advantage by playing up my love of both the humanities and the sciences. I thought my PS was pretty good!! 3 of my 4 LORs may have been meh but I definitely have one that is decent from a professor who I got to know quite well. Anyway, if it doesn't pan out this year, I think I'll have a good chance next year with increased clinical exposure. Does anyone know how to get employed as a medical scribe in Canada, specifically Quebec?

I also only submitted my primary in August and my MCAT only came in in early-September. I'm not sure that matters this late in the game, however. Though maybe (HOPEFULLY) I'm wrong and that explains the dearth of IIs rn.

In response to the idea of a hook, which I agree is fundamental: I am an English major and I sought to use that uniqueness as an advantage by playing up my love of both the humanities and the sciences. I thought my PS was pretty good!! 3 of my 4 LORs may have been meh but I definitely have one that is decent from a professor who I got to know quite well. Anyway, if it doesn't pan out this year, I think I'll have a good chance next year with increased clinical exposure. Does anyone know how to get employed as a medical scribe in Canada, specifically Quebec?

Humanities major honestly isn't that unique, and even one "meh" LOR can tank an application. If you have 3 letters that are anything but strong, there's a good chance that's the culprit. You want letter writers who will gush about how great you are.

#1 It is unusual for someone with your stats to not get secondaries. This leads me to believe that there is something else that schools have seen in your application that they didn't like. (red-flags or similar)
#2 The rest of your application is not doing you any favors. Successful applicants with asymmetric academic statistics tend to have stronger than average ECs. <10th percentile research/volunteering/medical exposure, unknown level of employment (you weren't very descriptive). Is a hard sell for any applicant. But those kinds of things generally get you canned post-secondary.
#3 School list could be wider, but that wouldn't affect secondaries at those schools.

My overall impression is that while your academics were reasonable, your personal statement, LOR and the overall, 'mehness' of your ECs got no interest from people who looked at your application.

I don't think the OP is saying that he hasn't gotten any secondaries.

As soon as Fall grades are available, get those to the SUNY. Don't know is once those are sent if there's an appropriate way to contact them to express interest and alert that new grades have been sent. Did the notification from the SUNY indicate that you should do something more than just send fall grades.

It sounds like that SUNY would like to interview you, but wants to make sure that your GPA will bump with fall grades. What grades will you be getting this semester? What grades do you honestly think you can get for spring? If you do get an II from the SUNY, and you're confident that your spring grades will further bump your GPA, that might be something to diplomatically mention if you do snag an interview.

The school likely doesn't want to incorporate a 3.5 GPA into their profile, so if you can get that bumped, that's a plus. What's the outlook on that?

I don't think the OP is saying that he hasn't gotten any secondaries.

As soon as Fall grades are available, get those to the SUNY. Don't know is once those are sent if there's an appropriate way to contact them to express interest and alert that new grades have been sent. Did the notification from the SUNY indicate that you should do something more than just send fall grades.

It sounds like that SUNY would like to interview you, but wants to make sure that your GPA will bump with fall grades. What grades will you be getting this semester? What grades do you honestly think you can get for spring? If you do get an II from the SUNY, and you're confident that your spring grades will further bump your GPA, that might be something to diplomatically mention if you do snag an interview.

The school likely doesn't want to incorporate a 3.5 GPA into their profile, so if you can get that bumped, that's a plus. What's the outlook on that?

I think it was an odd decision to add state schools in the mix when you're OOS when there are many lower-mid tier private schools you would be a better fit at. Did you apply DO too?

No, I did not apply DO, I figured with my MCAT score I may as well aim high(-ish). Can you name a couple of those schools you refer to? Geography is somewhat important to me as I want to remain on the East Coast or New England areas, preferably New York state.

Weak GPA, low/zero continuity in relevant EC's, abysmally low hours in said EC's. Seems like all of your volunteer work could've been done in 1 summer, assuming your summer of research was an equally light load. Better beef up your clinical exposure ASAP for next year's cycle.

This.

Agree with all these above, and basically my biggest issue is that your application does not seem tell a consistent story (in addition to the hook that would make it jump off the page) but rather you have a collection of activities you were involved with. Actually, more than telling a story it is important to SHOW why you would be a great person to interview through your activities, PS, and LORs, but of course this is hard to know w/o your PS and LORs.

As others have said, no IS school and somewhat late app is always challenging, made more difficult by discordant GPA and MCAT. Just to make sure - did you double check all required and recommended courses for each school you applied to?

If you're able to do more shadowing in as many specialties as you can ASAP that would be great, and also try and look at your activities and pick one you're most passionate about and try and get more involved in that area in similar but different (multiple) ways to SHOW, not tell your story. These things can be added to an update letter for all schools and, if worst comes to worst, they'd be valuable for next year. I know it is a lot of stress to do all these things while improving on the GPA this year, but it is important these things are done before the next application cycle (JUNE) if needed.

While the MCAT score opens up a lot of doors and makes Allopathic schools possible, it alone is probably not sufficient with the EC's - many applicants with lower MCAT scores simply have more developed EC's and some have a great hook that helps them stand out. Relatively speaking, you've done an excellent job so far, but so has everyone else, making it more challenging to stand out for that II.

From my experience with admissions, to select for an interview at a minimum the candidate needs to be 1) academically qualified and 2) show that they know what they're getting themselves into (aka shadowing and clinical experience). If I had to pick one thing to focus on first it would be more shadowing, and I would advise to see as many specialties for 1/2 day to a day each if possible (aka like 10 different specialties), although others here might advise to build a relationship with a physician and shadow for a ton of hours in one setting (which I think is less valuable because it is not as broad of exposure AND for allopathic schools an MD letter from purely shadowing is usually worthless...for osteopathic this may be different due to requirement by most (if not all?) to have a DO letter).

Finally if you do have to apply again try and determine if you have any connections to any schools or regions, or find a reason why you would like the schools you're applying to and in whatever way you can try and demonstrate this through your secondary app. I'd also apply to more schools next cycle if it comes to that...

Keep your head up and stay positive about this current cycle, best of luck!

I'm not sure what your point is with post #39. Yes, the OP has complained that he's gotten no II's....are you thinking that II's are secondaries? II's are Interview Invites.

@mimelim

What's your sGPA? An liberal arts major with only a 3.5 GPA (without some kind of story of struggle and/or found inspiration in college) is slightly worrying....
Maybe there are too many humble braggers on this site, but number of hours don't look so good either.

No, I did not apply DO, I figured with my MCAT score I may as well aim high(-ish). Can you name a couple of those schools you refer to? Geography is somewhat important to me as I want to remain on the East Coast or New England areas, preferably New York state.

Perhaps I am wrong, but I think these areas can be tough. Not as tough as Cali, but New England and EC areas often have tons of competition. I also think a fair number of them want to see commitment to helping in the community--especially deprived areas/inner city, and strong exposure to clinical medicine. The highly research-based schools will probably want a higher sGPA and perhaps strong research exposure, which presumably you are in the process of obtaining.

When I see a really high MCAT with a lowish GPA, my first thought is "Bright but lazy" -- Your low EC hours tends to support this view.

Reactions: 5 users

Citation needed.

I usually buy organic simply because I'm not satisfied with the amount of research done about the effect of pesticides on human health.

Here's a study by the NIH linking pesticides to Parkinson's disease.
http://www.nih.gov/news-events/news...-two-pesticides-associated-parkinsons-disease

Last edited:
Citation needed.

I usually buy organic simply because I'm not satisfied with the amount of research done about the effect of pesticides on human health.

Here's a study by the NIH linking pesticides to Parkinson's disease.
http://www.nih.gov/news-events/news...-two-pesticides-associated-parkinsons-disease

Just because you have some weird bias against organics doesn't mean they don't have their benefits.

But this is why I said it's a discussion for another thread.
People say I go too far off on tangents at times, but at least I do try to make my tangents closely tangential.

Personally, growing one's own food may be the safest way to go; but I am hearing there are powers that are trying to stop that. Don't have any citations for that right now. But there again, it's for another thread. :)

When I see a really high MCAT with a lowish GPA, my first thought is "Bright but lazy" -- Your low EC hours tends to support this view.

So then wouldn't this be a good reason to look at the applicant's sGPA? I may have missed it--don't remember seeing it when skimming through.

I disagree with this viewpoint. At least where I attended undergrad, there's a very strict grading distribution employed. You'd have to look at what courses the student had taken and consider factors such as the class GPA to really be able to discern that the student was "lazy". And really, isn't this the entire point of the MCAT? to ensure that people are considered on the same footing and to the same standard? I would be surprised if even the brightest students could ace the MCAT without a fair bit of studying.