Membership Revoked
Removed
Jul 31, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Like, okay. I know everyone is worried about silent rejections and getting II's and stuff but like, is anyone else just freaking out about silent acceptances? Like, I haven't left my mom's basement in two weeks because I have so much pent up frustration from the paranoia that I'll be accepted to one of the 53 schools I applied to, but that the school that accepted me won't actually alert me that I was accepted so I'll go the entire cycle and not accept the acceptance and then not be accepted!

Reactions: themoonman2
About the Ads

The Buff OP

-lll-------lll-
7+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2013
Arizona
Pssssssst

*whispers* hey you're in...to all 53 schools

:ninja:

Last edited:

NotASerialKiller

5+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2015
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Like, okay. I know everyone is worried about silent rejections and getting II's and stuff but like, is anyone else just freaking out about silent acceptances? Like, I haven't left my mom's basement in two weeks because I have so much pent up frustration from the paranoia that I'll be accepted to one of the 53 schools I applied to, but that the school that accepted me won't actually alert me that I was accepted so I'll go the entire cycle and not accept the acceptance and then not be accepted!
You're missing like, half the schools. Do you want the Dr. title or not?

Dr. Stalker

5+ Year Member
Sep 11, 2014
Itchy and Scratchy Land
Status
Medical Student
Only 53? And you think you're gonna become a dr...?

Reactions: strictlyanon
About the Ads

Spector1

Orbis non Sufficit
5+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
53 schools............................................

Allow me to process that first and I might reply to the other content in your post.
I have 49 schools. Maybe I should add 4 more on amcas to catch up

flyingeagle

5+ Year Member
Sep 12, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Only 53?? Weak. Your GPA must be like 4.0 or something if you only applied to 53 schools. The average applicant applies to 60-80.
Given how competitive admissions is getting, I wouldn't be surprised if this were the case in 10-20 years

Pastamahn

2+ Year Member
May 29, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Given how competitive admissions is getting, I wouldn't be surprised if this were the case in 10-20 years
Could you imagine if it got anywhere near that?? I can't see it happening, but that thought is frightening nonetheless :uhno:

About the Ads

gonnif

Only 182 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Rule 1: Take a Breath

Stagg737

7+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2013
Decapod 10
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Nah, won't happen for med apps. Ranking 60 programs for the match on the other hand...

Oh_Gee

5+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2013
rock hurtling through space
Status
Medical Student
go get some sun please

How else am I going to get into a top 20 school if I don't apply to all 53 of them?
LOL

Reactions: Goro

Stagg737

7+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2013
Decapod 10
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Nobody gets that many interviews.
I have seen an ROL with several hundred combinations for a couple's match, though.
Not for interviews, the most I've heard for that is around 45 (obviously didn't go to all of them), but from what I've heard upper teens to twenties is a good sign going into the match.

I was talking about how many programs they actually rank. Ranking 50 or 60 programs isn't that uncommon. I saw a recent report that surveyed recent grads from 20 different schools. The for people that went into surgery ranked an average of 56 programs within that field. These were also pretty respectable MD schools that were surveyed. Heck, I've heard of a few Carib grads that ranked around 200 programs. So I think that applying to 60 programs is something that will probably be pretty common a few years down the line seeing as it's not all that uncommon now.

About the Ads

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
Not for interviews, the most I've heard for that is around 45 (obviously didn't go to all of them), but from what I've heard upper teens to twenties is a good sign going into the match.

I was talking about how many programs they actually rank. Ranking 50 or 60 programs isn't that uncommon. I saw a recent report that surveyed recent grads from 20 different schools. The for people that went into surgery ranked an average of 56 programs within that field. These were also pretty respectable MD schools that were surveyed. Heck, I've heard of a few Carib grads that ranked around 200 programs. So I think that applying to 60 programs is something that will probably be pretty common a few years down the line seeing as it's not all that uncommon now.
I suppose if someone just shotgunned every surg pre-lim that didn't require an interview plus the places interviewed, it could go that high...
I have never seen a student do this, though.

Reactions: Goro

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
If I applied to 53 schools, that's where I'd end up living...
I am sure that someone in AMCAS will apply to over a hundred schools. Now I have to do a data request and find out

Reactions: Dr. Stalker

Goro

Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
@gyngyn has mentioned a person who applied to 90 schools, and as you can guess, didn't get in.

I am sure that someone in AMCAS will apply to over a hundred schools. Now I have to do a data request and find out

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student

Stagg737

7+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2013
Decapod 10
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I suppose if someone just shotgunned every surg pre-lim that didn't require an interview plus the places interviewed, it could go that high...
I have never seen a student do this, though.
Here's a link to the article I was talking about:http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/ama-wire/post/heres-many-residency-programs-students-really-apply

You'll notice that the average for surgery was 58.2 programs out of ~258 people in the survey that applied for surgery. That would be a lot of people shotgunning pre-lim spots...I've also talked to a few people in person that applied to over 60 spots for internal med. Maybe it's because they were DOs shooting for ACGME positions, but from the way they talked about it, they made it seem like it was pretty typical to do. Idk how common it actually is, but from my experiences 60 programs sounds pretty normal for some people.

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Here's a link to the article I was talking about:http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/ama-wire/post/heres-many-residency-programs-students-really-apply

You'll notice that the average for surgery was 58.2 programs out of ~258 people in the survey that applied for surgery. That would be a lot of people shotgunning pre-lim spots...I've also talked to a few people in person that applied to over 60 spots for internal med. Maybe it's because they were DOs shooting for ACGME positions, but from the way they talked about it, they made it seem like it was pretty typical to do. Idk how common it actually is, but from my experiences 60 programs sounds pretty normal for some people.
I would think two factors would be prime drivers of these numbers.

1) It will be what you are doing for the rest of your life. The risk of not matching in specialty A, no matter where the program is or how the program is means you'll be stuck doing something else. Someone who likes surgery, procedures, etc over seeing patients in office everyday all day is a strong driver. If you say only apply to 20 and dont match, you might be scrambling for a SOAP spot in a specialty you dont want in a place you dont like.

2) The increasing competitiveness of residency as the number of medical school graduates grows. Makes it tougher to get anything as the study cited above says

“By 2014, there were as many as nine applicants for each residency position, and failure to match in the [National Resident Matching Program] was associated with dire consequences, including failure to obtain any residency at all,” the study said.

Reactions: Stagg737 and Goro

Goro

Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Reactions: gyngyn

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician

Yes indeed, they apply for a lot of programs, but they don't rank the ones where they were not granted an interview (except for the prelims that don't interview).

Stagg737

7+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2013
Decapod 10
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Yes indeed, they apply for a lot of programs, but they don't rank the ones where they were not granted an interview (except for the prelims that don't interview).
I didn't realize there was that big of a difference other than certain fields like ortho where you have basically 0% chance of getting in if you aren't interviewed. That being said, I've still met several people that ranked over 60 programs, and they were not just going into surgery.

racerwad

7+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I didn't realize there was that big of a difference other than certain fields like ortho where you have basically 0% chance of getting in if you aren't interviewed. That being said, I've still met several people that ranked over 60 programs, and they were not just going into surgery.
You can't rank a program without an interview. as @gyngyn said, unless these are prelim spots that don't require an interview, no one has the time or energy to attend 60 interviews.

Stagg737

7+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2013
Decapod 10
Status
Resident [Any Field]
You can't rank a program without an interview. as @gyngyn said, unless these are prelim spots that don't require an interview, no one has the time or energy to attend 60 interviews.
Hmmm, sounds different than what I've heard, I know I was specifically told by more than one IM applicant that they "ranked" 60 programs. I'm sure there was probably some kind of miscommunication/misunderstanding if you can't rank places you don't interview at though.

About the Ads