Silly Question: Do Med Students get summers break?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeadCactus

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Title says it all. I figure they do, but somehow the idea seems strange to me...

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on what you mean by break, too.

Some schools have a relatively short summer. But, most do have a summer break between M1 and M2. However, it seems like most students do *something* related to medical school during that summer (usually research, or some form of clinical experience). Some don't do anything though - they look at it as the last chance to have a "summer break".

Usually, between the M2 and M3 year, you are studying for boards (and the "year" itself usually starts in the summer). And I think most school have relatively little official time off between M3 and M4.

Members don't see this ad :)
between your first year and second year, you get a summer. some students do research, others go on vacation, others do preceptorships or something.

after that you have no more summers off. you get a 4-6 week break (i think) between second and third year for the USMLE step 1, and you get some time your 4th year to interview and stuff. haaha your free life is going to come to an end.

Yeah its not as bad as I thought it was going to be once I looked into it. I thought this coming summer would be my last but thats not really true.

I was using GWs schedule as a basis (but they're probably all pretty similar) and yeah you get like 3 mos. after your first year, 2 mos. after your second year, only a few weeks after your third year and like 11-16 wks off whenever you want during your 4th year.

Plus like 2 wks off for winter breaks every year.

But yeah like someone else said - it all depends how competitive the specialty you want is. Thank god I can't stand most of the thought of spending the rest of my life in any of the really competitive ones. Makes the prospect of medical school much more appealing.

between m1 and m2 is the last summer of your life.

at my school we get 3.5 months

Don't sweat it man, after working in the real world, I've gotten used to having my college friends and grad school friends be chilling and doing nothing over the summer and breaks, while I still have to work 9-5.

Not fun, but whatever, it's also how the vast majority of people live you know.

So don't compare yourself to college kids when you're in med school. lol

Title says it all. I figure they do, but somehow the idea seems strange to me...

Depends on which med school you go to. but here is the general idea:

First year summer. Your last summer really. Depending on what school you can get 2-3 months vacation.

Second year summer. You will be studying for step 1. Maybe a little break after that (4 weeks?)

If applying for a competitive residency..you might consider doing research or clerkship somewhere, which bascially means you have NO vacation lol.

Third year summer. Almost no school (at least the one's I interviewed at) offer you a vacation lasting more than 6 weeks...(at UVM there is NO vacation at all) .

Fourth year. while it is true you get vacation time during the year (dates up to your liking), this is dedicated for residency interviews and studying for step 2.

Fourth year summer (After you graduate). Usually may...residency orientation starts mid June...that's not enough time to enjoy, considering you might have to move into a different city.

So to answer your question, you might not get a summer vacation ever again. The best one is probably the summer before you start meds. So enjoy :thumbup:

Reactions: 1 user
....that sucks.
-Dr. P.

If we weren't interested in med school, what else would we be doing where we would get a summer break?! Chances are, we'd be working or pursuing some other graduate/professional schools and they don't exactly spend their summers at camp either. It's called adulthood, get used to it.

haha yeah, but if you don't drop 260 on the usmle then you'll be referring all of your patients presenting with acne, rather than treating it yourself!
that's all right, I'd rather not be a pimple popper. in fact, nothing on the ROAD really interests me.

If we weren't interested in med school, what else would we be doing where we would get a summer break?! Chances are, we'd be working or pursuing some other graduate/professional schools and they don't exactly spend their summers at camp either. It's called adulthood, get used to it.
Easy there. It was just a simple question. We'd be teachers, though.

But yeah like someone else said - it all depends how competitive the specialty you want is. Thank god I can't stand most of the thought of spending the rest of my life in any of the really competitive ones. Makes the prospect of medical school much more appealing.

Agreed. I'm comforting myself constantly with the thought that I just have to be "good enough" to get into a good psych residency. It's not like I'm heading to neurosurgery or derm.

Oh well, at least I can get a kitten and not worry about where to keep it durring break. :love:

Seriously, I've wanted a cat since I was like two, but my parents are just so not into it. I'm really really excited.

~Silk and Steel

that's all right, I'd rather not be a pimple popper. in fact, nothing on the ROAD really interests me.

me neither. but it would be nice to know i have the option, should neurosurg not be my calling. although then actually i'd probably do primary care...