Silly question -- how do MD waitlists work if you hold an MD acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Moosers

MD Class of 2026
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel silly asking this but I want to make sure I completely understand and don't jeopardize my current acceptance. I was accepted to my state MD school (~40min drive away, relocation is not an option as we own/recently purchased our home) and was recently waitlisted at my top choice MD school (~10 minutes away).

I know that you have to indicate either "plan to enroll" or "commit to enroll" via the choose your medical school tool by April 30, but my accepted school requires all students to have "committed to enroll" by June 15. Does this mean that I can sit on the waitlist for my top choice until then, at which point I have to withdraw from the waitlist? What happens if I commit to enroll via AMCAS but then get accepted from the waitlist after 06/15?

Ultimately, I will happily (and gratefully) attend my state school and have nothing against the school itself, but there are significant differences in the mandatory contact time each week, on top of the commute, that, for me, make it an absolute no-brainer to attend my waitlisted school if accepted from the waitlist.

Members don't see this ad.

my accepted school requires all students to have "committed to enroll" by June 15. Does this mean that I can sit on the waitlist for my top choice until then, at which point I have to withdraw from the waitlist?
Yes
What happens if I commit to enroll via AMCAS but then get accepted from the waitlist after 06/15?
I believe that selecting CTE will automatically remove you from all waitlists automatically. EDIT: This is not true. See gyngyn's post below. Withdraw yourself from WLs after CTE else risk your A!

Last edited:
Yes

I believe that selecting CTE will automatically remove you from all waitlists automatically.
I thought schools were notified but you still need to either indicate on the portals or email schools manually of your withdrawal after you CTE?

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe that selecting CTE will automatically remove you from all waitlists automatically.
It does not. However, if one stays on other lists and the CTE school discovers this, they may remove you from their acceptance list.

Reactions: 1 user
I feel silly asking this but I want to make sure I completely understand and don't jeopardize my current acceptance. I was accepted to my state MD school (~40min drive away, relocation is not an option as we own/recently purchased our home) and was recently waitlisted at my top choice MD school (~10 minutes away).

I know that you have to indicate either "plan to enroll" or "commit to enroll" via the choose your medical school tool by April 30, but my accepted school requires all students to have "committed to enroll" by June 15. Does this mean that I can sit on the waitlist for my top choice until then, at which point I have to withdraw from the waitlist? What happens if I commit to enroll via AMCAS but then get accepted from the waitlist after 06/15?

Ultimately, I will happily (and gratefully) attend my state school and have nothing against the school itself, but there are significant differences in the mandatory contact time each week, on top of the commute, that, for me, make it an absolute no-brainer to attend my waitlisted school if accepted from the waitlist.
keep yourself as PTE until June 14th, that's the most you can do to stay on your WL as long as possible.

Reactions: 1 user