NismoDDS

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2007
Status
Pre-Dental
Hey i was just wondering what most folks in dental school do for food.. Do you guys cook most of the time, eat fast food, dental school cafeteria, or undergrad dining halls (do they even let you do that??). The reason why I ask is I hate cooking, its time consuming (dental school students are already short on hours in a day) and Im not that great at it and I dont eat fast food much because its pretty bad for you. Sigh I miss undergrad already.. walk into a dining hall with no cash buy a full meal for $3 on a meal card.

Saddleshoes

10+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2007
Status
Dentist
In my case we had 3 guys sharing a small house.

We had cold cereal and fruit for breakfast every day. We packed a brown bag for lunch daily. For dinner we each took one night to make a good meal to share, except on Tuesday night we went to a local cheap steakhouse for the Tuesday night special. Then on the weekend it was every man for himself.

We put X number of dollars in a pot each week and used that to go grocery shopping each week.

The system worked well. It did help that I roomed with guys who's mothers that made sure they could cook before the left the nest.

Turnerjo13

Ski Bum
10+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2006
N45˚ 29.795’ W122˚ 41.521’ elev:659ft
Status
Dental Student
I like to make a lot of food on the weekends and eat leftovers the rest of the week. It is a huge time saver and a way to eat good home cooked meals. I also take a lunch to school because it is very expensive to eat out every day for lunch.

About the Ads

blankguy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2003
Visit site
Status
Dental Student
You call always buy those cheap quickie ready to eat meals sold in supermarkets. Just microwave it.
Don't resort to eating fast food frequently. You will regret it later.

li1p0ptart

10+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2006
California
Status
Dental Student
Yeah, i don't like to cook either. I buy frozen dinners ( i know, high sodium content, not great for you), salad stuff, bread for pb+j's, cereal, Eggo waffles, but i do eat out a lot at restaurants and such. I try to limit the fast food places tho. Cooking is very time consuming. Making lots of spaghetti or something on weekends and eating leftovers is another good idea tho as someone pointed out.

oh, and during the day ill usually buy food at the school cafe or across the street with friends. Sometimes ill make lunch.

HuyetKiem

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2004
Texas
Status
Dentist
I usually cook on Sunday afternoon 2 or 3 dishes in large amount and separate them in several plastic containers for the rest of the week. I go home for lunch and take a quick nap everyday.:D:D Eating out on Friday night and Sat. My budget for food is average around 50 bucks per week.

zsy_lzy

A Born Dentist
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2005
Fennimore, WI
www.fennimoredentist.com
Status
Dentist
i am now suffering from the bread and water...so plain that i can not tolerate..

i wish things go better when i move to the new place in may...

pietrodds

10+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2008
Status
Dentist
There are no silly questions...... just silly people! If your biggest concern right now before you get to dental school is what you're going to eat, you're either a genius with a photographic memory or an idiot who doesn't have a clue about the mental anguish you're about to encounter for the next 4 years. I hope it's the first one for your sake then you can just download recipes and make four course meals for all your classmates who are working their butts off.

zsy_lzy

A Born Dentist
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2005
Fennimore, WI
www.fennimoredentist.com
Status
Dentist
There are no silly questions...... just silly people! If your biggest concern right now before you get to dental school is what you're going to eat, you're either a genius with a photographic memory or an idiot who doesn't have a clue about the mental anguish you're about to encounter for the next 4 years. I hope it's the first one for your sake then you can just download recipes and make four course meals for all your classmates who are working their butts off.

thanks....

armorshell

One Man Freak Show
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2006
Status
Non-Student
A war isn't about the soldiers, it's about the supply chain. You simply can't do good work, be it pre-clinical, clinical or didactic if you're not well fed, slept, hydrated and exercised. :thumbup:

litldime

D2
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2006
Texas
Status
Dental Student
Don't forget the ol' Crock-Pot :D
best thing ever....
for those who don't like to cook, this is a lifesaver....put all the ingredients in, let it slow cook for 8rs, come home and serve....it tastes pretty awesome and they have lots of recipes for it...best $40 you could spend when it comes to cooking. :hardy:

jackbauer!

10+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2006
West of MLK
Status
Dental Student
TRADER JOES :D

Best. grocery. store. ever.

jb!:)

natsipoo

10+ Year Member
May 31, 2005
TX
Status
Dentist
I did a lot of cooking first year. My aunt got me a Crock Pot before 2nd year which made things a lot easier. Since Jan of 2yr though, forget it! I never would have guessed how versatile deli meat could be:laugh:

stdmufin27

It's H-O-T in Sin City
10+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2007
Nevada
Status
Dental Student
TRADER JOES :D

Best. grocery. store. ever.

jb!:)
Old post I know but I have to totally agree.

I. love. this. place. quite. a. bit.

And it's cheap and healthy (3 birds, money/good food/healthy, w/ 1 stone)

shabu2

10+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2004
Jerzzzzzz
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Personal chef.......have to keep the nutrition and variety a plenty.

Yeah right. I ate ramen all week to save up money and party hard on the weekends. LOL :D

About the Ads