silly question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trouserz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
what do you guys think the average iqs of current med students and physicians are?
I have met some really boneheaded physicians. i bet u can be of average intelligence and make it through med school if u work hard enuff.
please do not address the question as to the validity of iq tests

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know about IQ or even EQ, but I have read enough histories and diagnoses written up by docs that have been absolutely riddled with grammatical errors. I wouldn't be surprised--does anyone know if the verbal and writing parts of the MCAT are relatively new to the admissions process?

And even here you get a lot of folks confusing "you're" with "your" and "they're" with "their." I suppose it is just a major peeve of mine.
-watto

give me some ball park figures but u don't want to know mine its 165....... below zero

Members don't see this ad :)
It is hard to discuss IQ without discussing the validity of an IQ exam. Some people whom are very bright don't do well because they are not good test takers. Some people are disabled and therefore, the IQ test would be measuring the person's disability and not intelligence.

I found this to be interesting: In order to do well on some areas of the IQ test, one needs to have studied before the exam. For example, there is a written math exam on one of the IQ tests. According to a math professor, if you have not studied math in 10 years, it is possible to do poorly on this portion of the exam. This can happen even if you were doing well in algebra 2 15 years ago. (I have seen algebra 2 concepts on the math portion of the tes.)

Anyway, it is hard to discuss IQ without getting into the validity of the test. Without validity it means very little.

Being in any field is not a question of intelligence. It has to do with your strengths in that area of study. For example, for someone that finds humanities extremely difficult, getting a phd in philosophy may not be doable.

If someone is good at biochem, they will probably do well in medicine. If someone is terrible at math, they probably could not do a grad program in physics.

Again, it is really where your strengths lie that is important. You can be very brilliant and not do well in a particular area of study.

I have seen someone ace organic chem with very little effort. But, she has very poor grades in her history classes. She spends most of her life studying for history.