gregoryhouse

Head of the Department of Diagnostic Medicine
Nov 6, 2013
Status
Medical Student
So I just realized that my schools transcript doesn't really do a good job detailing grades. The first 2 years at my school are P/F and then third and fourth year is P/F or Honors. So my transcript has the grades for my first 2 years listed all as PA and the third year grades listed as all HO. But it doesn't really go into detail about how the grading system is set up and there is also nowhere on the SF match application to actually list grades. I know when the MSPE comes out it will explain my standing and my grades better but I'm just wondering if programs who are looking at my application before the MSPE comes out will be confused and what, if anything, should I do to clarify my school grades.

DrZeke

yzarc gniog ylwolS
10+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
So I just realized that my schools transcript doesn't really do a good job detailing grades. The first 2 years at my school are P/F and then third and fourth year is P/F or Honors. So my transcript has the grades for my first 2 years listed all as PA and the third year grades listed as all HO. But it doesn't really go into detail about how the grading system is set up and there is also nowhere on the SF match application to actually list grades. I know when the MSPE comes out it will explain my standing and my grades better but I'm just wondering if programs who are looking at my application before the MSPE comes out will be confused and what, if anything, should I do to clarify my school grades.
People don't try very hard to interpret grades. That's why step 1 is the great equalizer. If you are in good standing and it says so in your MSPE. Trying to explain your grades makes things look fishy. I would just leave it be.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

DrZeke

yzarc gniog ylwolS
10+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Oh... Just saw your 52 programs in the other thread. That's definitely below number of programs for average applicant implying you're a competitive applicant. So no I wouldn't worry about explaining grades...

Jan 3, 2016
Status
Medical Student
I think this is more of a school-specific, not SF Match, question. My school showed all the applicants exactly what our transcripts look like. They are our Student Affairs department's interpretation of an excel template, a table with various cell colors on one page. Classes graded P/F have a note attached, "graded P/F only." Not sure what your school does. Ask around.

OP
gregoryhouse

gregoryhouse

Nov 6, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Oh... Just saw your 52 programs in the other thread. That's definitely below number of programs for average applicant implying you're a competitive applicant. So no I wouldn't worry about explaining grades...

Yea well we will see if that works in my favor lol. I felt like at the 52 mark I was just checking boxes and I wasn't really interested in the programs or locations anymore so I just stopped there. I feel like I have a pretty good mix of competitive and less competitive programs though.

Yea I guess my concern was mainly over the third year grades as I've heard those are important. My transcript literally just has HO under grade which I'm pretty sure most programs will understand means honors but there is no clear grading key and I guess the whole process is just making me extra nervous.

I also just found out earlier today that I was selected for AOA but I wasn't able to checkmark the little AOA box before I submitted my application because I was focused on turning it in early for some of the early deadlines. So I'm hoping that when my school uploads the AOA letter it automatically notifies and updates all the programs.

DrZeke

yzarc gniog ylwolS
10+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Your Deans letter will say AOA. The year I applied deans letters were coming out later and so SF mAtch would never see them. Now they come out earlier and many programs use them as a measure of what type of student you are.

You can also call SF match and ask them how to notify about AOA.

I genuinely believe that you are worrying yourself with this grades thing. AOA is such a big deal And HO obviously means honours. Don't sell the adcoms shorts.

hurdlepup

Surviving Intern Year
7+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2010
On Country Roads
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Call SF match to get AOA box checked. Most people reading your application won't have time to go over it in detail and it's a big deal in your favor if you have that marked

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: DrZeke
Oct 20, 2015
Status
Medical Student
In an attempt to not to create a separate thread, does anyone know about what to do for SSP in the DO community?

It is obviously not at the same recognition level as AOA, but it is an honors society that is difficult to get into (at least at my school). I was elected and listed it under awards, but don't know if it is worthwhile to upload the acceptance letter to the SF match. If I did, what category under supplemental docs would I upload it?

OP
gregoryhouse

gregoryhouse

Nov 6, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Call SF match to get AOA box checked. Most people reading your application won't have time to go over it in detail and it's a big deal in your favor if you have that marked

So I can't contact SF Match until Monday but it says on their FAQ that once the application is distributed changes cannot be made and corrections have to be sent to the programs directly. However, also listed on their FAQ it says to update AOA status, I can update the Academic Information tab on my profile page, which I just did. It also says when I upload the AOA letter document it sends that to the programs.

So do you think uploading the letter and updating the academic information tab is sufficient, or should I still email each program directly since my main application will still not have the AOA box checkmarked?

OP
gregoryhouse

gregoryhouse

Nov 6, 2013
Status
Medical Student
In an attempt to not to create a separate thread, does anyone know about what to do for SSP in the DO community?

It is obviously not at the same recognition level as AOA, but it is an honors society that is difficult to get into (at least at my school). I was elected and listed it under awards, but don't know if it is worthwhile to upload the acceptance letter to the SF match. If I did, what category under supplemental docs would I upload it?
Under additional documents, there is a spot to upload SSP letters

Reactions: Hemolytic Alenemia
Oct 20, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Thanks for responding. That category doesn't show up on my list. Just one for AOA, the Comlex and USMLE upload categories, and the IMG/Already licenced stuff. No slot for SSP. I'm guessing that putting it in the AOA slot is bad form, so should I just call them?

Last question about LORs. Can I still mail them in? It mentions on the site to have the school upload them, but I have run into the problem of administration losing documents. I'd rather just mail it in, but don't want them to get rejected.

OP
gregoryhouse

gregoryhouse

Nov 6, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Thanks for responding. That category doesn't show up on my list. Just one for AOA, the Comlex and USMLE upload categories, and the IMG/Already licenced stuff. No slot for SSP. I'm guessing that putting it in the AOA slot is bad form, so should I just call them?

Last question about LORs. Can I still mail them in? It mentions on the site to have the school upload them, but I have run into the problem of administration losing documents. I'd rather just mail it in, but don't want them to get rejected.
Are you sure you are looking in the right spot? It seems weird there would be a spot for SSP on my app and not on yours especially considering Im not DO.

Under the application tab, at the bottom there is a link that says Additional Documents. Thats where you should find an upload link for SSP, thats the same place where I uploaded my Step 2 CK and CS forms.

You can still mail in letters but it might delay your application. I would have your medical school upload it and then mail in the letters just in case, but at least if your med school uploads it quickly you will have a complete app faster.

Reactions: Hemolytic Alenemia

DrZeke

yzarc gniog ylwolS
10+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
So I can't contact SF Match until Monday but it says on their FAQ that once the application is distributed changes cannot be made and corrections have to be sent to the programs directly. However, also listed on their FAQ it says to update AOA status, I can update the Academic Information tab on my profile page, which I just did. It also says when I upload the AOA letter document it sends that to the programs.

So do you think uploading the letter and updating the academic information tab is sufficient, or should I still email each program directly since my main application will still not have the AOA box checkmarked?
Have you been distributed yet? If not this shouldn't be an issue. Also your letter sounds like it's gonna go out and it's gonna be mentioned in MSPE. I would just call them Monday. I would not go to lengths to email programs just yet...

I think you should go have a blood Mary or a mimosa...

Oct 20, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Are you sure you are looking in the right spot? It seems weird there would be a spot for SSP on my app and not on yours especially considering Im not DO.

Under the application tab, at the bottom there is a link that says Additional Documents. Thats where you should find an upload link for SSP, thats the same place where I uploaded my Step 2 CK and CS forms.

You can still mail in letters but it might delay your application. I would have your medical school upload it and then mail in the letters just in case, but at least if your med school uploads it quickly you will have a complete app faster.
I see the tab where you can upload USMLE scores, COMLEX scores, etc under additional documents. However there is no spot to upload my SSP letter. I plan to call them Monday and see what's up.

Thanks for your responses.

ojoseco

2+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2015
Gregory House--- call SF Match, if you cannot add AOA to your app and you are not 100% confident programs will see it then I would strongly recommend briefly emailing the program coordinators at each program you applied to as an update letting them know you were selected for AOA. It is a big deal and something i would certainly make sure programs know about. I had to send an update email to programs last cycle clarifying my CAS app and it was not a problem at all

OP
gregoryhouse

gregoryhouse

Nov 6, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Have you been distributed yet? If not this shouldn't be an issue. Also your letter sounds like it's gonna go out and it's gonna be mentioned in MSPE. I would just call them Monday. I would not go to lengths to email programs just yet...

I think you should go have a blood Mary or a mimosa...

Yup my app is already processed and distributed. I'll give them a call on Monday and see what they suggest.

Mimosa sounds good right now!

OP
gregoryhouse

gregoryhouse

Nov 6, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Gregory House--- call SF Match, if you cannot add AOA to your app and you are not 100% confident programs will see it then I would strongly recommend briefly emailing the program coordinators at each program you applied to as an update letting them know you were selected for AOA. It is a big deal and something i would certainly make sure programs know about. I had to send an update email to programs last cycle clarifying my CAS app and it was not a problem at all

So my application says that I received AOA under academic information, I posted a pic below to show what I'm talking about. Do you think most programs will see it in there or should I still email the programs directly.

I plan to call SF Match monday regardless, but just want to know what u guys think.

ojoseco

2+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2015
So my application says that I received AOA under academic information, I posted a pic below to show what I'm talking about. Do you think most programs will see it in there or should I still email the programs directly.

I plan to call SF Match monday regardless, but just want to know what u guys think.
No, i would not be confident that most programs will see this if you updated it after your CAS was submitted/distributed---i think they just download/print your CAS which would not reflect that change. Wait and see what SF match says, im not an expert. But AOA is a big accomplishment (congrats!) and if I were you I would want to be certain it is included in your file at each program. I made updates to the academic information section last cycle and did not get the impression that programs saw the updates.

DrZeke

yzarc gniog ylwolS
10+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Ok so here's what happens with CAS and application review. Most programs download your CAS in pdf form and start reviewing it. They usually print it. Most programs haven't started even reviewing applications, so my guess is that you are probably in the clear. But based on this thread it's apparent you are REALLY concerned about this, so:

1) Download your CAS like ojoseco said and see what it shows you

2) call SF match tomorrow and ask them if the AOA letter gets distributed after the fact!

3) start calling programs and ask them if they would like a copy of your AOA letter, as you only received notice of this after you were distributed. Alternatively, you can just railroad them all by emailing each and every program in one giant BCC email and attach you AOA letter. Saying something to the effect of, "Hello, I was fortunate to be inducted to AOA honour society just this past week. My application had already been distributed by SF match. Please find my attached AOA award letter. Best regards, Gregory house".

Best of luck. And try and enjoy the rest of your weekend without thinking about this, though I'm sure that's unlikely.

May 3, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Bump.

I'm in the same position as Gregoryhouse was last year. CAS app has already been distributed to programs and I found out I was accepted into AOA today. What did SFmatch end up telling you, Dr. House? Thanks.