Sim Labs - How important are they?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocBR

MS-3
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Most of the schools I have interviewed at have been funneling a lot of money into state of the art simulation labs. Does anyone know how helpful/important they are?

Is it a a major disadvantage to be w/o them?

Members don't see this ad.

Im curious too. Western doesn't seem to have one.

I have not worked directly with them (as I start in August) but I know med students that say they can be fun, yet nerve racking. The best thing my friends told me was the practice intubations.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is this what DCOM has? I know DCOM was going to have a surgical suite with a smart 'dummy' in it but is this what this stimulation lab is? Anyone know if these dummy's at DCOM will allow us to do the sort of things such as laparoscopic surgery techniques and intubation?

Most of the schools I have interviewed at have been funneling a lot of money into state of the art simulation labs. Does anyone know how helpful/important they are?

Is it a a major disadvantage to be w/o them?

That's one of the reasons why I like KCUMB; they have a brand-new patient care simulation lab/center. One area has state-of-the-art dummies that you can practice and run scenarios on, the other looks exactly like a clinic room where you do H&P's on actors. Both are recorded and monitored by attendings, so you can receive direct feedback.

I think it's a great introduction to some of the basics, so you won't completely freeze during 3rd year rotations when faced with real patients. I think if used appropriately, it could provide an edge.

Is this what DCOM has? I know DCOM was going to have a surgical suite with a smart 'dummy' in it but is this what this stimulation lab is? Anyone know if these dummy's at DCOM will allow us to do the sort of things such as laparoscopic surgery techniques and intubation?

Yes, that is a sim dummy.

I am not sure about the lap surgury, but they can be administered medications, intubated, etc and have programable reactions ranging from typical to very rare.

Very cool stuff.

I doubt it's a huge DISadvantage to not have them.
It may provide a slight advantage to get to play with them before 3rd year, but plenty of students have graduated in many, many years past without that benefit, and done just fine. :D

Any current students care to contribute?

Only an MS-1 here at DMU, but we have had a couple of apaid actor interactions so far, and I think they are very helpful. They are very nerve racking when you first get in the room, but then you calm down. There are good practice for H&P's. Next year we will get into practicing diagnosing. I think we will have 12 or 13 after 2 years. I' glad we have them as they may help me be more comfortable on rotations. Hope this helps.