Simple Shadowing Problem

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by yxlian1979, 05.18.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. yxlian1979

yxlian1979 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Looks stupid but...

Do you guys ask the dentist to write a note or something to prove that you have been shadowing in his clinic for a certain hours?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. sjv

sjv SDN Moderator 2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Most people obtain a letter from the dentist they shadowed as one of their 4 letters of evaluation.

4. hitmans45

hitmans45 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Even if you don't get a letter from the dentist your shadowing you just need to keep track of the hours yourself. When you apply there is a place to put down the dentist's information. So if there is any doubt the school can contact him to confirm.

5. youngy

youngy

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    i was also wondering the same thing like how they would know unless we get a note written by the dentist.
    I guess we just write the number down and hope for the best :)

6. ILLchief

ILLchief 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    schools do not have the time to verify every applicant's shadowing hours.... best bet is to usually have the dentist indicate in the LOR how many hours you've been there, etc.

7. raptor93

raptor93 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    No one checks anything, they just ask you about your experiences during the interview and if something sounds shady it can go against you. Someone with 500 hrs shadowing should know a lot more than someone with 50.

8. wjc

wjc 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I've had a dental school admissions official tell me they do spot checks on occasion. I had one of the dentists I shadowed advise me to just keep track of everything on a spread sheet, and then go have the dentists you've shadowed sign off on it before you start applying. This also will jog their memories about you a bit if its been a while since you've seen them, which might be helpful if they do get a phone call.

About the ads