Simple Shadowing Problem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yxlian1979

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looks stupid but...

Do you guys ask the dentist to write a note or something to prove that you have been shadowing in his clinic for a certain hours?

Members don't see this ad.

Even if you don't get a letter from the dentist your shadowing you just need to keep track of the hours yourself. When you apply there is a place to put down the dentist's information. So if there is any doubt the school can contact him to confirm.

Members don't see this ad :)
i was also wondering the same thing like how they would know unless we get a note written by the dentist.
I guess we just write the number down and hope for the best :)

schools do not have the time to verify every applicant's shadowing hours.... best bet is to usually have the dentist indicate in the LOR how many hours you've been there, etc.

No one checks anything, they just ask you about your experiences during the interview and if something sounds shady it can go against you. Someone with 500 hrs shadowing should know a lot more than someone with 50.

I've had a dental school admissions official tell me they do spot checks on occasion. I had one of the dentists I shadowed advise me to just keep track of everything on a spread sheet, and then go have the dentists you've shadowed sign off on it before you start applying. This also will jog their memories about you a bit if its been a while since you've seen them, which might be helpful if they do get a phone call.