Simplest EMR for Psych Private Practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Copper_Tracker

Reaction score
I am looking at various EMRs and notice they are all clunky, nonintuitive, and have way more bells/whistles than I would ever need to open a practice after residency. Are there any EMRs that are simple, flow logically? I find it baffling this doesn't exist.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am looking at various EMRs and notice they are all clunky, nonintuitive, and have way more bells/whistles than I would ever need to open a practice after residency. Are there any EMRs that are simple, flow logically, and are conducive to a cash practice where billing insurance is not needed? I find it baffling this doesn't exist.

Charm

Reactions: 1 user
Charm is pretty good. Could be simpler but it’s easy to use, is low cost, and it’s modular so you pay for the features you want.

Luminello seems popular as well but they don’t have real time tech support. Att least Charm has chat support.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Take a look at intakeQ

A friend of mine from residency uses it. I checked it out; seems simple and cheap.

If I were cash-only, I'd consider just using g suite. You would need an e-rx module though.

Tele-psych: Google meet
Scheduling: Google calendar
Portal: Google sites
Notes: Goggle docs
Rating forms: Google forms

Can you prescribe medications or labs with intakeQ?

Take a look at intakeQ

A friend of mine from residency uses it. I checked it out; seems simple and cheap.

If I were cash-only, I'd consider just using g suite. You would need an e-rx module though.

Tele-psych: Google meet
Scheduling: Google calendar
Portal: Google sites
Notes: Goggle docs
Rating forms: Google forms

iPrescribe is super simple and requires zero monies.

Is this a stand alone e-rx? I need one that's not bundled with an eMR

It is indeed standalone and in fact supports EPCS with integrated PDMP verification possible (very important in my state since you are legally required to check PDMP each and every time before writing a controlled script and it appears to track this when you do it through the app). If you want it can even text notices to patients that their script has been sent when you sign it.

I'm really liking this iprescribe and it's tempting me to also look into simplepractice EMR. SP is designed for therapists but with iprescrube, I could make it work.

It is indeed standalone and in fact supports EPCS with integrated PDMP verification possible (very important in my state since you are legally required to check PDMP each and every time before writing a controlled script and it appears to track this when you do it through the app). If you want it can even text notices to patients that their script has been sent when you sign it.
From my understanding, iPrescribe is mobile only. I have it on my phone but haven't seen a desktop version.

Last edited:
I'm really liking this iprescribe and it's tempting me to also look into simplepractice EMR. SP is designed for therapists but with iprescrube, I could make it work.

I am looking into a similar setup.
Going Gsuite + standalone prescribing is pretty easy, but for $70 a month something like simplepractice adds a ton of value.

I'm using Luminello and have had a great experience.

Have heard great things about Simplepractice, IntakeQ, and Charm.

My advice: Do a few trials of several, and then try your favorite one month-to-month. Don't lock yourself into a yearly contract unless you've done the entire workflow for at least several patients.

I am looking into a similar setup.
Going Gsuite + standalone prescribing is pretty easy, but for $70 a month something like simplepractice adds a ton of value.

I've tried out a few different EMRs during my time in PP. I have finally found one good enough to outweigh the inconvenience of switching.

I'm moving to Simple Practice + iPrescribe. It will cost about the same as office ally + doxy.me [$100/mo]. Some of the things that were important to me:

1. Low cost
2. Text reminders
3. Clean, iPhone/iPad-friendly, interface (I can finally switch back to using Apple products).
3. Intuitive, decluttered, patient portal that includes online billing that doesn't confuse patients.
4. Integrated tele-health.
5. Integrated insurance billing.

*Using Iprescribe as another app has actually not been too bad. I like how I no longer need a fob for 2-factor ID (it uses an iphone app). Also, easier for quick rxs without having to go through too many prompts on my EMR.

Because my practice is more therapy-oriented, I think this solution works best for me.

Reactions: 1 users
I've tried out a few different EMRs during my time in PP. I have finally found one good enough to outweigh the inconvenience of switching.

I'm moving to Simple Practice + iPrescribe. It will cost about the same as office ally + doxy.me [$100/mo]. Some of the things that were important to me:

1. Low cost
2. Text reminders
3. Clean, iPhone/iPad-friendly, interface (I can finally switch back to using Apple products).
3. Intuitive, decluttered, patient portal that includes online billing that doesn't confuse patients.
4. Integrated tele-health.
5. Integrated insurance billing.

*Using Iprescribe as another app has actually not been too bad. I like how I no longer need a fob for 2-factor ID (it uses an iphone app). Also, easier for quick rxs without having to go through too many prompts on my EMR.

Because my practice is more therapy-oriented, I think this solution works best for me.
How is this combination working for you? I have a more therapy-oriented, cash practice as well and having been looking for a similar arrangement.

Many of my psychologist colleagues use Simple Practice and rave about it. But the lack of an e-prescribing option has kept me from going this route. iPrescibe looks promising and simple.

What do you use for lab orders?

Last edited:

Quest’s web portal. They ended integration with my EMR a while ago.

I send the order there and upload the results on SP. I believe luminello integrates iPrescribe.

How is this combination working for you? I have a more therapy-oriented, cash practice as well and having been looking for a similar arrangement.

Many of my psychologist colleagues use Simple Practice and rave about it. But the lack of an e-prescribing option has kept me from going this route. iPrescibe looks promising and simple.

I email a generic lab slip and patients can take it to their lab of choice and it's on them to check that it's in network with their insurance. 1/2 the time the results are faxed back to me and the other 1/2 of the time, I or the patient have to reach out to get it. I don't do a ton of labs so it's not a huge time sink.