sincere advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

madamepreDO

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was pre-med for a long time but took the MCAT 3x and did horrible.

Engineer major whose undergrad gpa was 3.08 and science was 3.1 (this is according to the med school app)

Loads of medical volunteering in 2 free clinics.

Never took the PCAT before.

I did one semester of a masters program (3.6 gpa) but needed to withdraw due to a personal issue,which has since resolved.

I am now at a crossroads to go back and finish the masters in order to go to pharm school or just move on into the IT field.

Members don't see this ad.

Well if you are doing pharmacy as a career of second choice you probably aren't going to like it unless you make a, ahem, sincere effort to see what one particular area of pharmacy is really like (like retail), which would mean working as a tech to see how it's like.

Reactions: 1 user
A master's program is not necessary to enter pharmacy school. What kind of masters program was it? Could the masters education possibly lead you to some other profession besides phamacy? If you have any interest or proficiency in IT, I would recommend exploring that - it doesn't sound like you were interested in pharmacy to begin with, or that you're familiar with what pharmacy practice will actually be like. As Sine recommended, if you do want to explore pharmacy as a profession, get some exposure to it first. You may decide that you do not like it - you don't want to make a major committment such as to a graduate program costing you 3-4 years of your life and $200k+ on a career you have no interest in, in a fiercely competitive job market.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was pre-med for a long time but took the MCAT 3x and did horrible.

Engineer major whose undergrad gpa was 3.08 and science was 3.1 (this is according to the med school app)

Loads of medical volunteering in 2 free clinics.

Never took the PCAT before.

I did one semester of a masters program (3.6 gpa) but needed to withdraw due to a personal issue,which has since resolved.

I am now at a crossroads to go back and finish the masters in order to go to pharm school or just move on into the IT field.

I see that you have "preDO" in your username... are your 3.08 and 3.1 GPAs with or without AACOMAS grade replacement? Your GPAs could potentially be lower since PharmCAS doesn't offer grade replacement.

Also, if you had that much trouble with the MCAT, you might find the PCAT difficult too. Most consider the MCAT to be much harder... but the PCAT is no walk in the park either. Maybe try taking a practice test?

Just wondering, what makes you interested in pharmacy and medicine? A career in engineering or computers will land you in a field with much better job prospects without the additional $200k+ loans and 4 years of schooling.

Sent from my SM-N910V using SDN mobile