single gals and guys

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

geekgirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
the nay-sayers have been gnawing away at me.

so, i'm forced to ask - is it possible to have a tiny semblance of a life as a single person doing gen surg?

Members don't see this ad.

i'm single, and i do have a "semblance of a personal life". i go out once a week, play golf every now and then. there are residents that do a lot more than i do.

it's really up to you as to how much of your free time, and nights you want to devote toward "having a life". right now i am pretty focused on my training/career so quite often i stay in and read instead of going out, or stay a little later at the hospital to try and scavenge a case here and there. i choose to focus on my education heavily right now (currently a pgy-2), and by pgy-4 or 5, i'll revert back to my old ways and open up my social calendar more.

but there are the more "player" type residents too... they go out 2-3x a week, and really blow it up when they go out. those guys have iron constitutions. i don't.

Celiac Plexus said:
i'm single, and i do have a "semblance of a personal life". i go out once a week, play golf every now and then. there are residents that do a lot more than i do.

it's really up to you as to how much of your free time, and nights you want to devote toward "having a life". right now i am pretty focused on my training/career so quite often i stay in and read instead of going out, or stay a little later at the hospital to try and scavenge a case here and there. i choose to focus on my education heavily right now (currently a pgy-2), and by pgy-4 or 5, i'll revert back to my old ways and open up my social calendar more.

but there are the more "player" type residents too... they go out 2-3x a week, and really blow it up when they go out. those guys have iron constitutions. i don't.

work hard...play later...soiunds good to me...the immigrant mentality :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
geekgirl said:

so, i'm forced to ask - is it possible to have a tiny semblance of a life as a single person doing gen surg?
I agree with the other postings....with the 80 hour work week you can have a life...willl it be the same as if you were in FP or PEDS...absolutley not. But if you want to have a life you can. When i was 3rd year student, (pre-405 regulations) i remember a chief making plans to goto brunch after being up all night after being slammed with traumas. All i wanted to do was sleep, so i asked him how he was going out...he looked me straight in the eye, and told me that if he waited until he was not tired, all he would do was eat, sleep and operate...sometimes you just have to make time. Now its MUCH easier. :thumbup:

it was a hard decision, but im comfortable being a virgin for another 5 years doing general surgery.

pamchenko said:
it was a hard decision, but im comfortable being a virgin for another 5 years doing general surgery.
The only response I can think of is...OK TERRIFIC :confused:

I am single but i am program that easily sends me brimming over 80hrs. I will be changing programs soon ( hopefully) . It gets lonely but I think the loneliness is cancelled by the massive fatigue and sleep deficit thati sustain.
THis is why i consider my life as a sacrifice and I call myself Denial. ( and yes i am terminally asexual, which is easier in my case )

Depends on your definition of "life". Generally, guys that are in surgery are well-sought after by the opposite sex. Girls in a surgery residency? Well.

Le_Donald said:
Depends on your definition of "life". Generally, guys that are in surgery are well-sought after by the opposite sex. Girls in a surgery residency? Well.

I think a lady that can operate is a turn on.

Denial said:
I am single but i am program that easily sends me brimming over 80hrs. I will be changing programs soon ( hopefully) . It gets lonely but I think the loneliness is cancelled by the massive fatigue and sleep deficit thati sustain.
THis is why i consider my life as a sacrifice and I call myself Denial. ( and yes i am terminally asexual, which is easier in my case )
I too am in such a program.....there belief in the 405 commision...eeehhhh, what 405 commision? The truth is that as a surgical resident the majority of us will not live the life of the characters from TV like Friends, Sex in The City etc...but that does not mean we cant have a life....it just means it waont be as perfect or as COOL as our friends and collegues in other proffessions. I for one have made peace with this...and continuue to eek out a life as a surgical resident/monk.
As for women surgeons....there is nothing HOOTER than a woman who can crack a chest and kick some ass. Any woman who looks good in scrubbs is HOT period. And, yes, maybe i am biased since i am dating a surgical resident....but again she looks great in scrubs (and i love the idea that all i ahve to do is pull on string and she is almost naked ;) ), and she she is amazing in the OR...I gues theer is alot to be said for a a woman who has good hands :thumbup: :love:

mddo2b said:
As for women surgeons....there is nothing HOOTER than a woman who can crack a chest and kick some ass. Any woman who looks good in scrubbs is HOT period. And, yes, maybe i am biased since i am dating a surgical resident....but again she looks great in scrubs (and i love the idea that all i ahve to do is pull on string and she is almost naked ;) ), and she she is amazing in the OR...I gues theer is alot to be said for a a woman who has good hands :thumbup: :love:

well said

what about the female surgery resident attitude?

pamchenko said:
what about the female surgery resident attitude?
In general they have the same attitude as the guys except they dont have a penis....which means:aggressive,confident=Bitchy. If he were a guy there would be NO problem...I see it all the time...ts sad.
:thumbdown:

So, I'm a girl med student. I want to be a surgeon. I love a guy that can handle a scalpel without cutting himself. Does anybody want to be my boyfriend and be part of a power couple?

ha ha :oops:

geekgirl said:

Hi there,
I am happily involved in a long-term relationship since before medical school (just haven't found time to get married) but I was having a conversation about being single in General Surgery with one of my interns. This guy has the looks of Brad Pitt, smarts, and talent. He laments about just not having the time to find a meaningful relationship with a woman of substance because the job just doesn't give you much quantity and quality is difficult to establish in a short time. He is smart enough not to want to settle for the "airheads" that tend to follow him around the hospital but I can see his dilemma.

He has been hitting the "bar scene" with another intern who is also gorgeous but goes through women like I go through surgical gloves. I understand their plight; they work hard all week and on a free Friday or Saturday night, they want to let off some steam and maybe get "laid". This is difficult stuff folks and finding a quality person out there can be rough. Having a job that keeps you busy 80 hours each week can put you into celibacy or dating "Hannah and her five sisters."

If anyone has any suggestions, please post them before as my two single interns are getting pretty difficult to deal with. This has been rough on my service. The ones that are married have wives that are pregnant or given birth in the past year.

njbmd :D

njbmd said:
Hi there,
I am happily involved in a long-term relationship since before medical school (just haven't found time to get married) but I was having a conversation about being single in General Surgery with one of my interns. This guy has the looks of Brad Pitt, smarts, and talent. He laments about just not having the time to find a meaningful relationship with a woman of substance because the job just doesn't give you much quantity and quality is difficult to establish in a short time. He is smart enough not to want to settle for the "airheads" that tend to follow him around the hospital but I can see his dilemma.

He has been hitting the "bar scene" with another intern who is also gorgeous but goes through women like I go through surgical gloves. I understand their plight; they work hard all week and on a free Friday or Saturday night, they want to let off some steam and maybe get "laid". This is difficult stuff folks and finding a quality person out there can be rough. Having a job that keeps you busy 80 hours each week can put you into celibacy or dating "Hannah and her five sisters."

If anyone has any suggestions, please post them before as my two single interns are getting pretty difficult to deal with. This has been rough on my service. The ones that are married have wives that are pregnant or given birth in the past year.

njbmd :D

where are these guys located? my friend on the msg board Hoyaparanoia is definitely interested...send him a private msg or something

Of course you can have a life - that is, if you had a life during medical school. The hours suck but you make time for the things that are important to you. If knitting is your thing, have at it. I've been able to travel, go horseback riding, read tons of non-surgical books and even date :D . The trick is to find balance between all the hours you'll spend studying while still trying to act like a normal 20-something. I for one love my "female general surgery resident" status - it affords me a certain amount of anonymity since most folks expect me to be a raging bee-yotch (which I'm not) and are surprised to here I'm a firmly entrenched G Surg resident. Also, I make it a point to get to know/make friends with all sorts of people from all walks of life. It's very easy to stay in a tiny small circle of friends who all think/act/eat/play alike while in residency so you have to stick your neck out and risk a little bit! Good luck!