You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
What do you guys call this instrument?
Started by IJL
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I’ve only ever heard this called a Senn, what other names are out there?
I also call it a Senn. The resident that’s been rotating with me calls it a small rake.
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That's a number seven back scratcher
It’s a senn. I’ve always called bigger clawed retractors rakes. This is more like a bent fork than a rake. It would take you all day to clean your lawn with that.
I have, on occasion, called it “that,” or “you know what I want.”
I have, on occasion, called it “that,” or “you know what I want.”
The instrument names seem highly regional. But I have only heard that one called a senn when it was called by a name.
Still just a med student, but I was an OR tech for almost a decade in various parts of the country, and I have only ever heard that called a Senn.
Smurfette
Gargamel always had a thing for blondes.
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
20+ Year Member
It's called a Senn everywhere I've been as well.
Thanks.
You would have thought I was crazy for calling it a Senn.
I've heard rake, devil's rake, devil, prong rake, spike rake, spike, sharp rake, diablo, devil's dick, dick, spike dick, three prong, prong rake, spike prong, pronged Miller, Miller, Miller with teeth, Miller with a dick, dicked Miller, devil's Miller, Miller rake, midget pull, and pointy dick rake.
Hard to know wtf to call it
You would have thought I was crazy for calling it a Senn.
I've heard rake, devil's rake, devil, prong rake, spike rake, spike, sharp rake, diablo, devil's dick, dick, spike dick, three prong, prong rake, spike prong, pronged Miller, Miller, Miller with teeth, Miller with a dick, dicked Miller, devil's Miller, Miller rake, midget pull, and pointy dick rake.
Hard to know wtf to call it
A Senn. It’s called a Senn.Thanks.
You would have thought I was crazy for calling it a Senn.
I've heard rake, devil's rake, devil, prong rake, spike rake, spike, sharp rake, diablo, devil's dick, dick, spike dick, three prong, prong rake, spike prong, pronged Miller, Miller, Miller with teeth, Miller with a dick, dicked Miller, devil's Miller, Miller rake, midget pull, and pointy dick rake.
Hard to know wtf to call it
Only ever heard it called a pointy dick rake
Smurfette
Gargamel always had a thing for blondes.
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
20+ Year Member
Thanks.
You would have thought I was crazy for calling it a Senn.
I've heard rake, devil's rake, devil, prong rake, spike rake, spike, sharp rake, diablo, devil's dick, dick, spike dick, three prong, prong rake, spike prong, pronged Miller, Miller, Miller with teeth, Miller with a dick, dicked Miller, devil's Miller, Miller rake, midget pull, and pointy dick rake.
Hard to know wtf to call it
That's a lot of names. A rake and a three prong are both different instruments where I'm at, and are different from Senns.

I've heard people call it (incorrectly) a Ragnell, though it really is a Senn
I could see this one. It's Ragnell's angry brother. In to punk music and vandalism.I've heard people call it (incorrectly) a Ragnell, though it really is a Senn
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted50541
I've heard some folks call it a cat's paw. That's one too many syllables for me though when all I want is "that".
Prior Scrub Techs UniteStill just a med student, but I was an OR tech for almost a decade in various parts of the country, and I have only ever heard that called a Senn.
"Give me that little claw thing that I always catch my glove on"
I have never called it nor used it. However, the Oxford Handbook of Clinical Surgery defines it al Kilner.
Throw that book away. Several of those instruments have FAR more common names.I have never called it nor used it. However, the Oxford Handbook of Clinical Surgery defines it al Kilner.View attachment 285433View attachment 285433
D
deleted50541
I do appreciate the regional variations in what instruments are called. I've worked in the Northeast, South, and now the West. Most things are similarly named, but I do have the scrubs go over every instrument with me when I've come to a new hospital.
For instance, when I wanted a larger curved hemostatic clamp in the Northeast I'd ask for a "Rochester". Elsewhere, people would like at me funny and tell me it's either a "6-inch" or an "8-inch".
For instance, when I wanted a larger curved hemostatic clamp in the Northeast I'd ask for a "Rochester". Elsewhere, people would like at me funny and tell me it's either a "6-inch" or an "8-inch".
You mean like a pean versus sarot?I do appreciate the regional variations in what instruments are called. I've worked in the Northeast, South, and now the West. Most things are similarly named, but I do have the scrubs go over every instrument with me when I've come to a new hospital.
For instance, when I wanted a larger curved hemostatic clamp in the Northeast I'd ask for a "Rochester". Elsewhere, people would like at me funny and tell me it's either a "6-inch" or an "8-inch".
I do appreciate the regional variations in what instruments are called. I've worked in the Northeast, South, and now the West. Most things are similarly named, but I do have the scrubs go over every instrument with me when I've come to a new hospital.
For instance, when I wanted a larger curved hemostatic clamp in the Northeast I'd ask for a "Rochester". Elsewhere, people would like at me funny and tell me it's either a "6-inch" or an "8-inch".
Interesting. I think what you’re referring to was called a Vanderbilt where I did residency. Which was in Tennessee. No one had any idea what I was asking for when I went to Fellowship in New York.
I do appreciate the regional variations in what instruments are called. I've worked in the Northeast, South, and now the West. Most things are similarly named, but I do have the scrubs go over every instrument with me when I've come to a new hospital.
For instance, when I wanted a larger curved hemostatic clamp in the Northeast I'd ask for a "Rochester". Elsewhere, people would like at me funny and tell me it's either a "6-inch" or an "8-inch".
That was called a Kelly everywhere I’ve been. Including NJ (as far northeast as I’ve worked).
Kelly, mayo, pean, sarot in order of increasing size/length is how I refer to them. So Kelly would be smaller than the Rochester which I think is equivalent to a pean.That was called a Kelly everywhere I’ve been. Including NJ (as far northeast as I’ve worked).
That was called a Kelly everywhere I’ve been. Including NJ (as far northeast as I’ve worked).
To me, a Kelly has a blunter, more snub tip. A Vanderbilt is longer and has a finer tip.
Smurfette
Gargamel always had a thing for blondes.
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
20+ Year Member
I do appreciate the regional variations in what instruments are called. I've worked in the Northeast, South, and now the West. Most things are similarly named, but I do have the scrubs go over every instrument with me when I've come to a new hospital.
For instance, when I wanted a larger curved hemostatic clamp in the Northeast I'd ask for a "Rochester". Elsewhere, people would like at me funny and tell me it's either a "6-inch" or an "8-inch".
We called them Curved 6s or Curved 8s in residency. Where I am now, the techs are like "huh? you mean a Kelly or a Pean?" if I ask for a curved 6 or 8.
I do appreciate the regional variations in what instruments are called. I've worked in the Northeast, South, and now the West. Most things are similarly named, but I do have the scrubs go over every instrument with me when I've come to a new hospital.
For instance, when I wanted a larger curved hemostatic clamp in the Northeast I'd ask for a "Rochester". Elsewhere, people would like at me funny and tell me it's either a "6-inch" or an "8-inch".
Never heard them called either of those names. Kelly or Pean for me.
Kelly, mayo, pean, sarot in order of increasing size/length is how I refer to them. So Kelly would be smaller than the Rochester which I think is equivalent to a pean.
To me, a Kelly has a blunter, more snub tip. A Vanderbilt is longer and has a finer tip.
Yeah the surgeons where I was would just say a fine or blunt Kelly lol. The size was just normal Kelly or big Kelly. The clamp I’ve always heard called a mayo is different than a Kelly. It has a bigger curve and kind of looks like someone giving air quotes. It’s a vessel clamp. Sort of like a debakey but with an exaggerated curve.
Yeah the surgeons where I was would just say a fine or blunt Kelly lol. The size was just normal Kelly or big Kelly. The clamp I’ve always heard called a mayo is different than a Kelly. It has a bigger curve and kind of looks like someone giving air quotes. It’s a vessel clamp. Sort of like a debakey but with an exaggerated curve.
I think I’d call that a curved Cooley.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I almost never use names anymore. I say clamp and hope the tech has been paying attention to the case and gives me an appropriate size (during an inguinal hernia on the external oblique aponeurosis I need smaller ones than during high ligation of the sac, meanwhile when clamping mesentery a skinny kid needs a smaller clamp than a fat adult). But for stretching my port for gallbladder removal I simply ask for a "big ass clamp" and if I get anything smaller than a pean I express my disappointment in what they consider big.Yeah the surgeons where I was would just say a fine or blunt Kelly lol. The size was just normal Kelly or big Kelly. The clamp I’ve always heard called a mayo is different than a Kelly. It has a bigger curve and kind of looks like someone giving air quotes. It’s a vessel clamp. Sort of like a debakey but with an exaggerated curve.
I think I’d call that a curved Cooley.
I've heard it called that too. Or a curved Debakey.
What you call a Vanderbilt we only knew as a tonsil where I trained. In medical school it was a Sarot.Interesting. I think what you’re referring to was called a Vanderbilt where I did residency. Which was in Tennessee. No one had any idea what I was asking for when I went to Fellowship in New York.
What 99% of people would call a Kocher, we'd call an Ochsner. I think each place just needs their own instrument.
Your Vanderbilt is my tonsil. Pean is big and blunt and really I only used for chest tube insertion.To me, a Kelly has a blunter, more snub tip. A Vanderbilt is longer and has a finer tip.
Your Vanderbilt is my tonsil. Pean is big and blunt and really I only used for chest tube insertion.
I think super regional variation due to proximity of “the Harvard of the South.”
No seriously, they called it that.
Your Vanderbilt is my tonsil. Pean is big and blunt and really I only used for chest tube insertion.
And beating interns.
Pean is big and blunt
The arrogance...
I've never heard of a Pean. Is it curved? We'd probably just call it a big KellyYour Vanderbilt is my tonsil. Pean is big and blunt and really I only used for chest tube insertion.
A gentle curve, thicker tip, longer but not as long as a sarotI've never heard of a Pean. Is it curved? We'd probably just call it a big Kelly
I take it back. I found something called a Rochester pean which made me think what I call a pean is that but apparently it is different than just a regular pean and is what I think of as a sarot (which is probably not actually what other people would call a sarot as the pics i was finding show a thinner and shorter tip that what I think of). And I can't find a pic with all of them together to post hereKelly, mayo, pean, sarot in order of increasing size/length is how I refer to them. So Kelly would be smaller than the Rochester which I think is equivalent to a pean.
Throw that book away. Several of those instruments have FAR more common names.
The Babcock is Babcock, at least. Some techs or nurses say "badcock" 😀
Senn Rake, there’s a bigger rakes and giant rakes that are called Israel.
This is my version of a Pean.I've never heard of a Pean. Is it curved? We'd probably just call it a big Kelly
Similar threads
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 3K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 1K