Single mother

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by sjs, May 24, 2000.

1. sjs

sjs New Member

I am a single mother of a 2 1/2 year old son. I could be accepted to start medical school as early as August 2002. He will be 5 at that time. Would any of you parents/medical students give me some insight as to how you have juggled family and medical studies. For those out of school, do you have any regrets with regards to time you may have spent away?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. reed99

reed99 Member

4. reed99

reed99 Member

By the way- I am acquainted with an OB/GYN (and fellow soccer mom) who graduated first in her class from Mayo. She had 2 kids when she began med school, 1 during and a 4th during her residency. Her husband stayed home with the kids (and they are really in debt) but it is doable. Take home message-develop a great support network!

5. Nxtjourney2MD

6. mehc012

mehc012 Big Damn Hero

Medical Student
    Wait, so you quoted a 15 year old thread to...quote the OP and nothing more?

AlteredScale likes this.
  7. Nxtjourney2MD

Hi, I know this is a late reply to an old post....any advice at this point? How have things turned out for you? My daughter was 1 year old when I originally considered medical school. She is almost thirteen now and I am Beginning the process of taking prerequisites. It seems that the sooner school is done, the better things are for the child later. I could have been done with the whole process by the time my child was 8 or 9 years old. I have decided not to delay this another minute.

8. AlteredScale

Administrator Moderator

Medical Student
    I don't think the original poster of this thread will answer as she created it 15 years ago and has not had any posting activity since then.