Single mother

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sjs

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a single mother of a 2 1/2 year old son. I could be accepted to start medical school as early as August 2002. He will be 5 at that time. Would any of you parents/medical students give me some insight as to how you have juggled family and medical studies. For those out of school, do you have any regrets with regards to time you may have spent away?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by sjs:

This information is second hand but might be of interest to you. I have a friend who is an MS1 at a first tier institution. Like you she is a single mom but has 2 kiddos. They are 9 and 7. Her schedule was generally to be at school studying until 7:00pm except during phase when she would study until 11:00. On the weekends she would study until 4:00pm. Her children were picked up from school and supervised by a college student. She has recently decided to relinquish custody of her kids to her ex who is remarried and has a less demanding schedule. She had mentioned to me that her med school "big sister" had to do the same with her children. I don't believe she made this decision because she felt she was unable to handle the pressure but more because it was in the best interest of her children to do so. The years prior to medical school she raised her children with no support from her ex as he resided out of state. He now lives about 4 hours away and she sees the kids every other weekend.
I don't know if this is the kind of information you are looking for. As a piece of advice, she has said she feels her situation would have been different if she had a family support network where she lives. If there is a med school near your folks or your ex, you might contemplate tayloring your application to that school. I wish you the best in your endeavors-
Ruth

By the way- I am acquainted with an OB/GYN (and fellow soccer mom) who graduated first in her class from Mayo. She had 2 kids when she began med school, 1 during and a 4th during her residency. Her husband stayed home with the kids (and they are really in debt) but it is doable. Take home message-develop a great support network!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a single mother of a 2 1/2 year old son. I could be accepted to start medical school as early as August 2002. He will be 5 at that time. Would any of you parents/medical students give me some insight as to how you have juggled family and medical studies. For those out of school, do you have any regrets with regards to time you may have spent away?

Wait, so you quoted a 15 year old thread to...quote the OP and nothing more?

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, I know this is a late reply to an old post....any advice at this point? How have things turned out for you? My daughter was 1 year old when I originally considered medical school. She is almost thirteen now and I am Beginning the process of taking prerequisites. It seems that the sooner school is done, the better things are for the child later. I could have been done with the whole process by the time my child was 8 or 9 years old. I have decided not to delay this another minute.

Hi, I know this is a late reply to an old post....any advice at this point? How have things turned out for you? My daughter was 1 year old when I originally considered medical school. She is almost thirteen now and I am Beginning the process of taking prerequisites. It seems that the sooner school is done, the better things are for the child later. I could have been done with the whole process by the time my child was 8 or 9 years old. I have decided not to delay this another minute.

I don't think the original poster of this thread will answer as she created it 15 years ago and has not had any posting activity since then.

Reactions: 3 users