SIS Ultrasound course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oreosandsake

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.spineintervention.org/events/EventDetails.aspx?id=920947&group=

someone mentioned a hex?

During this eight-hour course the following techniques will be taught:

• Third Occipital Nerve Block
  • Cervical Medial Branch Blocks/Cervical Facets
  • Stellate Ganglion Block
  • Intercostal Nerve Block
  • Sacroiliac Joint
  • Femoracetabular Joint, Troch Bursa Injection
  • Glenohumeral Joint, Subacromial Bursa/Acromio-Clavicular Joint (ACJ)
  • Needle Guidance Phantom Station

Members don't see this ad.

those are all reasonable with the exception of cervical MBBs unless you are already expert in interventional ultrasound guided procedures

I personally feel that stellates should be done with both fluoro and ultrasound for maximal safety

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, that was me with the hex.

couple things: #1 you will notice that lumbar TFESI, RF, and sympathetics arent on the agenda, like that other course. these injections are relatively reasonable. #2, im surprised SIS has loosened the reigns a bit, #3, a grand for a 1 day course? ouch!

Reactions: 1 user
My opinion is that no TFESI or IL ESI should be done under US since you simply cannot see what is going on under the bone, and cannot judge depth after passing bone. Intravascular uptake is extremely difficult to appreciate with small vessels. RF? Possibly..... I am very surprised to see this course, especially given the standards committee, the Guidelines, and my history of having to fight hard to get Dr G to do a lecture/miniworkshop on the subject about 5 years ago at the SIS annual meeting. Perhaps it is a new world!!!

Reactions: 1 user
yeah, that was me with the hex.

couple things: #1 you will notice that lumbar TFESI, RF, and sympathetics arent on the agenda, like that other course. these injections are relatively reasonable. #2, im surprised SIS has loosened the reigns a bit, #3, a grand for a 1 day course? ouch!

i was just pointing out the other side of the coin

re #1 personally, I would not perform any of the procedures you listed without fluoroscopic guidance either. I have seen people post how c mbb is bad idea under US. like any modality, it all depends on skill level. you will be amazed the first time you see the ACTUAL medial branch visualized under US. I also was never trained to do a C TFESI, but I see the nerve root, foramen, and vasculature very well under US. it looks a lot less intimidating to me when I am scanning the neck but I would be very nervous to do one under fluoroscopy since I have never actually performed one.

many here view SIS as the center of the universe so this is a huge shift. originally, i thought they were just going to start teaching US for MSK not spine.

as far as i know, ASIPP still supports that spine procedures are meant to be done under fluoroscopy (CT too i guess) and that US spine procedures like the ones you mentioned are not recommended.