sit still!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tcar18

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok so i essentially suffer from akasthesia (no, not on anti-psychotics)

I CANNOT sit still. So for the last 2 weeks I have really been grinding hard and to do so required upping the freq. of my runs.

This is significant enough that I do MUCH better on UW blocks of 50 questions than I do on nbme's where I try to simulate testing conditions.

so i guess the question is, would running before my exam be a bad idea? Has anyone done this before?

Members don't see this ad.

It's definitely not a bad idea, but you want to make sure it's a regular part of your routine and not something that will throw you off or make you late the morning of the exam. You also don't want to be getting up so early or running so hard that you are crashing by the afternoon. If you haven't already, I would do a "test run" (Heh..) - get up at the time you intend to on the morning of the exam, go for your run, then try to sit down for a day of questions and/or studying, following a similar schedule to the exam (short breaks every hour). Good luck!

:luck:

Insert scissors between L4 and L5 and then keep cutting until the hurting stops. Problem solved. Bring a diaper to the exam.

I kid, I kid. Do whatever you have to do, I don't think running the morning of is a bad idea at all as long as you're usually awake early enough to finish the run before the exam starts. Don't do it if you have to wake up at an unusually early hour though because you'll be fatigued enough as is halfway through.

i don't think time will be the issue. I tend to study early anyway... but afternoon fatigue could be an issue as I also live for napping.

i will give it a test run tomorrow and see.

glad to hear this doesn't sound completely ridiculous.

Insert scissors between L4 and L5 and then keep cutting until the hurting stops. Problem solved. Bring a diaper to the exam.

I kid, I kid. Do whatever you have to do, I don't think running the morning of is a bad idea at all as long as you're usually awake early enough to finish the run before the exam starts. Don't do it if you have to wake up at an unusually early hour though because you'll be fatigued enough as is halfway through.
whoa dude.. at first, I wondered how good of a doctor you were going to be... then I realized how awesome of one you're going to be. ha!