Six years in undergrad?

Hillo

I gotta stop
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since I'm quite underdeveloped as a person and dislike stress, I'm considering spending six years in college to do what I couldn't do when I was younger.

Should I spend those years in just undergrad?

I would be able take interesting classes, read free books from the library, enjoy exercising, and learn the guitar. Then again, would stress about the money and have to work more during those extra two years.

If I aim for grad school, I could be nominated for a fellowship. =O
But I stress when I write, and I believe grad school would involve much writing.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Why not consider getting your master's? Do you have an anxiety disorder?

I would be able take interesting classes, read free books from the library, enjoy exercising, and learn the guitar.
I don't see why you can't do all that in 4 years of undergrad. With a normal course load you should have plenty of time to do things that you want to do. I'm entering my 6th year of undergrad and it's not something I'd recommend intentionally doing. If you really feel that you need some time for yourself, take a semester or a year off before starting grad school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think I have a disorder, but I do have a past of struggling with writing and thinking of ideas/projects.

The thing is, my four-year plan has almost all of my semesters at 19 credits. Even my summers are full.
I know that I'm not a good student (having already racked up mediocre CC grades), so I probably will need all the free time I'll have to study and work.

What's so bad about a 6th year of undergrad?

Last edited:
I don't think I have a disorder, but I do have a past of struggling with writing and thinking of ideas/projects.

The thing is, my four-year plan has almost all of my semesters at 19 credits. Even my summers are full.
I know that I'm not a good student (having already racked up mediocre CC grades), so I probably will need all the free time I'll have to study and work.

What's so bad with a 6th year of undergrad?

It's just expensive and if you are applying to dental school then they might wonder why you took two extra years to get your major. However if you feel that you will have a more meaningful college experience then definitely go for it!

Why on earth is your schedule that busy? Even double majors don't take that many credits every semester plus summer classes.

What's so bad about a 6th year of undergrad?
It's not terrible, it's just not something I think you should intentionally do.

1. It's expensive
  2. Your friends will graduate and move on with their careers while you are still stuck in school
  3. Undergrad gets old after a while

There's no way you're taking 19 credits every semester + full summers. Anyway, please realize that you're able to access a crap ton of FREE or cheap material to culture yourself. Hell, take the money you'd use for your 5th and 6th year and travel Europe for half a year...

Undergrad is fun, but after 4 years of it it's probably time to move on unless you're there for purely academic reasons

There's no way you're taking 19 credits every semester + full summers. Anyway, please realize that you're able to access a crap ton of FREE or cheap material to culture yourself. Hell, take the money you'd use for your 5th and 6th year and travel Europe for half a year...

Or, use that money to go volunteer in Africa.