MD & DO Skills to develop

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Do/do-not

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
What professional skills are good to learn during medical studies?

The medical education system in my country is based on theoretical learning, and it doesn't focus on practical learning. Due to this we (the students) have begun to organize various training with professional trainers on different topics and for any skill that we might need it in the future as general physicians.
Until now, we have had training in:
- BLS & ALS,
- ECG (performing and interpretation),
- Communication skills,
- Parenteral administration,
- CT & MRI (the working mechanism, and mechanism of acquiring),
- Professional writing (resumes, letters of motivation)

What other skills might be helpful or essential for young doctors which are worth training for?

Members don't see this ad.

An in depth understanding of statistics (which tests to run, how to use statistical software, etc) is invaluable and a skill set that many physicians do not have

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
In my opinion, these are practical things every graduating medical student should know how to do:
BLS
interpret an EKG
read a chest X-ray
evaluate a head CT when there is suspicion for an acute stroke
put in an IV
do a rectal exam
suture an uncomplicated skin lac
Evaluate a toco and fetal heart rate tracing
Critically evaluate medical literature
Call for help if SHTF and you don’t know what to do

Reactions: 2 users
ACLS, PALS, NRP, ATLS.

When push comes to shove you need to be able to stand up and save a life.

Reactions: 1 user
ACLS, PALS, NRP, ATLS.

When push comes to shove you need to be able to stand up and save a life.
why is it that some attendings and residents speak negatively about acls protocols, stuff like it is too cookbook etc. I thought the power in the evidence was the systematic use of the protocol and maybe go off the reservation after 5-6 cycles of no response?

why is it that some attendings and residents speak negatively about acls protocols, stuff like it is too cookbook etc. I thought the power in the evidence was the systematic use of the protocol and maybe go off the reservation after 5-6 cycles of no response?

It’s a good foundation. Google how ATLS was actually started. (ATLS plane crash). Very sad story. There are a lot of times I veer off from these protocols but there are times I don’t need to. I think they are incredibly important to learn but also understand why you are doing the things in them so then you know when you may need to try something different. Like everything else in medicine, these are just different tools in the tool box.

Edit: there is also really good evidence that people who have been trained in these courses will step up to the plate when placed in an emergent situation versus people who have not.

Last edited:
What professional skills are good to learn during medical studies?

The medical education system in my country is based on theoretical learning, and it doesn't focus on practical learning. Due to this we (the students) have begun to organize various training with professional trainers on different topics and for any skill that we might need it in the future as general physicians.
Until now, we have had training in:
- BLS & ALS,
- ECG (performing and interpretation),
- Communication skills,
- Parenteral administration,
- CT & MRI (the working mechanism, and mechanism of acquiring),
- Professional writing (resumes, letters of motivation)

What other skills might be helpful or essential for young doctors which are worth training for?
These:
Core Competencies for Entering Medical Students - Data and Research - Admissions - AAMC

Like Tenk mentioned, it's a good foundation to know how to manage the COMMON cardiac arrest causes. It gives people a template to follow when the cause is not obvious. However, once you do enough and experienced enough codes/etc you'll realize that just like everything else in medicine there will always be exceptions to the rule and that is when you're supposed to use your medical training and clinical decision making to deviate from ACLS protocols and actually treat the patient.

What about psychological skills? I think it is very important to develop psychological skills about how to think, how to be calm under pressure, and how to remember whatever skills are needed to be applied during a particular situation, and to remember the protocols of work that we have learned.

Are there any type of specific trainings about developing psychological skills?

What about psychological skills? I think it is very important to develop psychological skills about how to think, how to be calm under pressure, and how to remember whatever skills are needed to be applied during a particular situation, and to remember the protocols of work that we have learned.

Are there any type of specific trainings about developing psychological skills?
I think you learn quickly to be professional, objective and analytical with cases. This doesn't mean you won't be emotional, but that your role will require strength. I have had some horrible days-rape victims, child abuse, elder neglect. As a med student, I learned to be helpful, informative, kind and objective. I assume in residency, these skills will improve.

Second those who said statistics! If you can do stats every resident looking for a paper will love you lol

Reactions: 1 users