skinny ties

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dent2009

YEEE BOI
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what do you guys think about skinny ties for interviews? acceptable or not?

Members don't see this ad.

I personally wouldn't. Out of my interviews, I only saw one guy with a skinny tie. You could be that guy if you wanted. Just fyi.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with MissionDental. An interview is not a fashion show. Dress conservatively, and professionally. Think of what a 50-year old academic would consider to look nice and shoot for that. Express your creativity, uniqueness, and qualifiaction through your extracurriculars and academic performance. It's boring, I know, but these are the unspoken rules of this game.

a skinny tie is definitely not professional

A skinny tie might make the interviewer nostalgic for the early 80's, if that is your intent. Or, if you want to convey that you are into the indie or emo scene, or that you are a fashionista, than the skinny tie may be your tie of choice.

If you want to be professional, traditional, albeit unoriginal, than the proper tie should be worn.

I remember wearing skinny ties as a youngster (part of my school uniform) and think back to how dorky they looked. It's been 20 years, and I still think they look dorky.

it depends. As long as you match the ties and suit style in a right way (eg. don't wear it with three button jacket... never), it will work. Besides, if that's only tie you got, it's better to go with that than to wear your dad's tie or something.

skinny ties make you look like you're trying too hard

You should wear those fake ties from Chinatown. You know, those ties with a Burberry design but are a half foot wide.

yea!! The Skinny Ties are playing the almost acoustic christmas. wooo!!

where what you wanna wear...acting professional plays along with looking professional...

...i wore a skinny tie...

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually wore a red bowtie to my interview. Honestly, I was the only one. I tried doing something socially profound and I think it worked out. My interviewer at 2 schools complemented me on my attire. I guess ill find out tomorrow if it actually worked out.

I reccommend a nice husky tie. Preferably a Wembly. You can crush it, knot it, even wash it. It will also tell you what type of suit it matches.

I wore a piano neck tie made by Mugatu,...seemed to work out for me! :)

I think you should wear whatever makes you feel most comfortable and confident. I wore a skinny tie to two of my interviews and felt great in it. In my opinion nothing looks better than a suit tailored specifically to you with a nice thin tie.
At the same time like others have said on here the interview is not a fashion show and I don't think anyone giving interviews has flipped through a GQ magazine lately and would even think twice about your skinny tie...which brings me back to my original statement.

skinny tie with a double-breasted suit... rock it

Seer Sucker suit and matching bow-tie

If only I had the disposable income

I think you should wear whatever makes you feel most comfortable and confident. I wore a skinny tie to two of my interviews and felt great in it. In my opinion nothing looks better than a suit tailored specifically to you with a nice thin tie.
At the same time like others have said on here the interview is not a fashion show and I don't think anyone giving interviews has flipped through a GQ magazine lately and would even think twice about your skinny tie...which brings me back to my original statement.

GQ magazine. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

skinny tie with tie bar and thus you've got new age yet classy as hell.

I wouldn't wear one.

I would wear those chinatown ones UCSF2012 talked about. As fake as they are, they look koooool =P