dent2009

YEEE BOI
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
what do you guys think about skinny ties for interviews? acceptable or not?

MissionDental

10+ Year Member
May 23, 2008
CA
Status
Pre-Dental
I personally wouldn't. Out of my interviews, I only saw one guy with a skinny tie. You could be that guy if you wanted. Just fyi.

About the Ads

REH

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 4, 2006
Status
Dental Student
I agree with MissionDental. An interview is not a fashion show. Dress conservatively, and professionally. Think of what a 50-year old academic would consider to look nice and shoot for that. Express your creativity, uniqueness, and qualifiaction through your extracurriculars and academic performance. It's boring, I know, but these are the unspoken rules of this game.

somethinpositiv

10+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2008
Status
Dental Student
A skinny tie might make the interviewer nostalgic for the early 80's, if that is your intent. Or, if you want to convey that you are into the indie or emo scene, or that you are a fashionista, than the skinny tie may be your tie of choice.

If you want to be professional, traditional, albeit unoriginal, than the proper tie should be worn.

lemoncurry

tequila mockingbird
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2006
Vermont
Status
Dentist
I remember wearing skinny ties as a youngster (part of my school uniform) and think back to how dorky they looked. It's been 20 years, and I still think they look dorky.

jok43548

10+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2008
Status
Dental Student
it depends. As long as you match the ties and suit style in a right way (eg. don't wear it with three button jacket... never), it will work. Besides, if that's only tie you got, it's better to go with that than to wear your dad's tie or something.

prydA

10+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
skinny ties make you look like you're trying too hard

UCSF2012

Tooth Rehab Student
10+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2007
Status
Rehab Sci Student
You should wear those fake ties from Chinatown. You know, those ties with a Burberry design but are a half foot wide.

Royaltee

hahaha
10+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
yea!! The Skinny Ties are playing the almost acoustic christmas. wooo!!

dRdNs

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2008
loma linda
Status
Dental Student
where what you wanna wear...acting professional plays along with looking professional...

...i wore a skinny tie...

About the Ads

montag925

10+ Year Member
Dec 29, 2006
New Jersey
Status
Dental Student
I actually wore a red bowtie to my interview. Honestly, I was the only one. I tried doing something socially profound and I think it worked out. My interviewer at 2 schools complemented me on my attire. I guess ill find out tomorrow if it actually worked out.

War Eagle

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2007
Status
Pre-Dental
I reccommend a nice husky tie. Preferably a Wembly. You can crush it, knot it, even wash it. It will also tell you what type of suit it matches.

squints02

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
I think you should wear whatever makes you feel most comfortable and confident. I wore a skinny tie to two of my interviews and felt great in it. In my opinion nothing looks better than a suit tailored specifically to you with a nice thin tie.
At the same time like others have said on here the interview is not a fashion show and I don't think anyone giving interviews has flipped through a GQ magazine lately and would even think twice about your skinny tie...which brings me back to my original statement.

Jake8

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2008
Status
Dental Student
Seer Sucker suit and matching bow-tie

If only I had the disposable income

Lopyswine

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2007
Chicago, IL
Status
Dental Student
I think you should wear whatever makes you feel most comfortable and confident. I wore a skinny tie to two of my interviews and felt great in it. In my opinion nothing looks better than a suit tailored specifically to you with a nice thin tie.
At the same time like others have said on here the interview is not a fashion show and I don't think anyone giving interviews has flipped through a GQ magazine lately and would even think twice about your skinny tie...which brings me back to my original statement.

GQ magazine. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Contach

10+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2008
NYC
Status
Attending Physician
skinny tie with tie bar and thus you've got new age yet classy as hell.

DiNoZeRo2o9

10+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2008
Stockton, CA
Status
Dental Student
I wouldn't wear one.

I would wear those chinatown ones UCSF2012 talked about. As fake as they are, they look koooool =P

About the Ads