Skip Sciences and do a Post-Bacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JGW

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im a second year student at the University Of Florida and currently have a 2.75 GPA. I've only taken Chem I with lab(C+/A) and am currently in Chem II with lab(looking like B/B). Should I just finish my BA, without taking anymore sciences, and head into a Post-Bacc(at Miami or FAU) and then try MD/DO schools? or should I just go through the sciences, struggle like hell, and then go into post-bacc for the sake of medical schools seeing that I at least tried the sciences. I am pretty sure I can get my undergrad GPA to at least a 3.3 if I avoid the science courses.

Members don't see this ad.

A 3.3 without sciences isnt really going to cut it...

Especially cos it doesn't look you are excelling in science currently. It doesn't appear from your current grades that when you get to post-bac you are going to morph from a C+ student to a A student...

You should study harder and do less of whatever it is that is causing you to have a 2.75

if you 3.9, 3.9 your last two years with sciences you have a shot at DO. eventually you're going to have to ace those sciences anyway, might as well do it now and give yourself a shot earlier.

Members don't see this ad :)
People mistakenly enter into full-time post-bacc's with a belief that because they are there they will magically obtain a 4.0. Needless to say, countless people fall victim to the belief that this is the work of the program and not their ability and they never make it to where they want to go.

My advice is to fix whatever is going on with you in undergrad and get the high marks now. It will save you precious time and money.

College itself won't appear to be as "fun" but if you think entering into a post-bacc program is a parade of merriment, I think many people with their shoulder to the wheel would beg to differ. Post-bacc programs are great opportunities for people to switch gears in life, or even build their resume, they are not golden tickets to medical school.

It depends on the situtation.

If you honestly think that you cannot improve your grades in the pre-reqs due to the nature of your major, work schedule, or other factor not related to your own motivation/work ethic, then I would postpone the pre-reqs and complete them in a post-bacc.

If you know that it's just as simple as you not putting enough work/effort into it, then I would just work harder, to put it simply.

Use your best judgement because the worst thing you can do is dig a deeper hole. Save your GPA ASAP.

It depends on the situtation.

If you honestly think that you cannot improve your grades in the pre-reqs due to the nature of your major, work schedule, or other factor not related to your own motivation/work ethic, then I would postpone the pre-reqs and complete them in a post-bacc.

If you know that it's just as simple as you not putting enough work/effort into it, then I would just work harder, to put it simply.

its more of the fact that i got screwed over with my advising/classes for my first 3 semesters and unless i take bio/orgo/physics at the same, i probably wont get my sciences done on time. so instead of trying to pack sciences into my 17 credit semesters(to get back on track of my major), i was thinking of holding off until post-bacc......thats why I am trying to get everyones opinion.

its more of the fact that i got screwed over with my advising/classes for my first 3 semesters and unless i take bio/orgo/physics at the same, i probably wont get my sciences done on time. so instead of trying to pack sciences into my 17 credit semesters(to get back on track of my major), i was thinking of holding off until post-bacc......thats why I am trying to get everyones opinion.

So you're thinking of doing 17 credits (to catch up) and then adding some of the pre-reqs?

I did that for one semester in UG and it wasn't pretty. Don't think that you have to be in a hurry to get the pre-reqs done. Perhaps you can plan to finish your degree in 5 years instead of 4--that way, you'll have a reasonable schedule with your classes nicely spread out. OR you could just continue your degree and take the remaining pre-reqs after graduating. Note that some of the formal post-baccs will not accept you since you've partially fulfilled the pre-reqs (Gen Chem), but this might not be a problem at other places (since some will still take you even if you've taken 1-2 of the pre-reqs).

You have a 2.75 - you have demonstrated you can't handle your current courseload let alone taking more credits....
Take the extra semester at your 4-yr if needed or pick up a minor. Its no good being on the true 4-yr plan if you have a crappy GPA.

The good thing is you have tons of time to repair your GPA.

So you're thinking of doing 17 credits (to catch up) and then adding some of the pre-reqs?

I did that for one semester in UG and it wasn't pretty. Don't think that you have to be in a hurry to get the pre-reqs done. Perhaps you can plan to finish your degree in 5 years instead of 4--that way, you'll have a reasonable schedule with your classes nicely spread out. OR you could just continue your degree and take the remaining pre-reqs after graduating. Note that some of the formal post-baccs will not accept you since you've partially fulfilled the pre-reqs (Gen Chem), but this might not be a problem at other places (since some will still take you even if you've taken 1-2 of the pre-reqs).

like thats what im trying to figure out. I going to be done with both Gen Chem I & II at the end of this semester, but I need to catch up on my degree requirments so I wanted to know if it would be smart to stop the sciences, finish my degree(I know I'll get A's on these classes) and then jump into a post-bacc and finish my science pre-reqs before thinking about MD/DO school

Finish up here. I would try all I could to avoid going into a post-bacc program. You still have 2 years left to get your grades up. Just make sure to avoid the horrible professors (horvath/portmess come in mind) and hit the books. Avoid the parties and clubs unless you have an off week.

Oh and the reason i would try to avoid the post bacc is due to cost. Im looking at Barry right now and am kicking myself for having such bad grades (parties and just bad study habits)

Finish up here. I would try all I could to avoid going into a post-bacc program. You still have 2 years left to get your grades up. Just make sure to avoid the horrible professors (horvath/portmess come in mind) and hit the books. Avoid the parties and clubs unless you have an off week.

i wish it was the parties and clubs that effect my grades....but when your english professor gives you an E on a 10 page paper because your less than 50 words behind the word count and thus drops your grade from an A to a C-.....whats a student to do?....

I'm in sort of the same situation as JGW.. I started undergrad at a University in Ohio and my family picked up and moved to Chicago earlier this year and have been persuading me to transfer to a college in the area. I liked the idea of that too, since well, it's Chi-town..

The situation is: I'm a junior and my science GPA is pretty low (I've taken the gen chems, o-chems, biochem, Bio I, Bio II, genetics, cell bio and evolution) so I was going to have to retake classes, take more upper level sciences and/or do a post-bacc regardless, so basically a 5th year. I'm an Exercise Physiology major/Bio minor and If I didn't retake the classes and/or upper level sciences I could graduate next spring, on time and then do an informal/formal post-bacc in the Chicago area.

Is that plan advisable?

Or should I stick it out another year at my current undergraduate institution and do the upper levels and retake courses here?

Thanks!

like thats what im trying to figure out. I going to be done with both Gen Chem I & II at the end of this semester, but I need to catch up on my degree requirments so I wanted to know if it would be smart to stop the sciences, finish my degree(I know I'll get A's on these classes) and then jump into a post-bacc and finish my science pre-reqs before thinking about MD/DO school

I would only take the pre-reqs if the pre-req is one of your 4 classes for the semester. If you're taking 4 already and your pre-req is the 5th class, I wouldn't do that--it's really really difficult.

So again, I'd graduate in 5 years (with the pre-reqs) or graduate in 4 and take the pre-reqs at a post-bacc.

If you're really pressed for time, consider taking the pre-reqs during the summers.